ASUS Launches Essence III USB DAC/Preamp/Headamp
Feb 4, 2014 at 12:26 PM Post #91 of 139
  Congrats!

Did you pay any extra amount under exchange? 

Yeah... Service told they are not able to repair my E1 (at least this is what in the shop they said) so I ask them if they could just send me E3 and I will pay difference (all happen in the same shop so it was easy to do).

I am testing it right know listening some Nine Inch Nails and I must say I never heard better performance in my live (but I don't have much experience with others DACs/headphone amps). It may not be the best DAC for the price but it is very satisfying (maybe I would like to try HDVA 600 if I would like to have some special headphone amp for my HD800, but for now I cannot be any happier).

Feb 4, 2014 at 2:08 PM Post #93 of 139
  Can use 2 headphones at the same time?

Sorry but I don't have balanced cable to check that, maybe TheManko will be able to help you.

Something more about smooth sound: it is very nice to listen this on NIN songs, but feels a little bit weird (at least at the beginning, maybe I will get used to it) on songs which are not so harsh.

Jun 20, 2014 at 4:24 PM Post #98 of 139
  I haven't had an opportunity to try the balanced outputs yet

It's too bad because I couldn't find any review testing it, most people don't seem too willing to reterminate their phones to mini-XLR(voiding warranty, etc).

Anyway, my local reseller decided to carry the E3 and was kind enough to let me try it:

I'm currently using it in driverless UAC1 mode on W7 via KS and I do like it very much, I'll be testing DSD and recabling phones to mini-XLR's shortly:

I'm using it with that über-shielded USB cable from nuforce, perfect way to put an end to the WiFi pollution from my neighbors: http://www.head-fi.org/t/500466/nuforce-shipping-high-performance-usb-and-3-5mm-cables-in-2-weeks/15#post_6801885

I was impressed by the Muses One and so far the E3 seems even clearer sounding and more controlled, I'll try to have a full-fledged review posted soon
happy_face1.gif

Jun 21, 2014 at 6:05 PM Post #99 of 139
Originally Posted by TheManko /img/forum/go_quote.gif

The Essence III has none of this cold harsh sound. Instead it’s smooth and incredibly clean. I’ve played some “worst case scenario” music for treble and somehow the music just works with the Essence III like how I imagine the artists intended

You nailed it, been listening to it for a day and it always seems to extract a truckload of details through a both very deep and wide 3D SS without ever sounding harsh, agressive, over-percussive or flabby/laid-back, it's all so natural sounding and satisfying to listen to. Bassy music is a real treat as bass is extremely textured and versatile, no "euphonic" colored high THD discrete buffer this time.

I guess my reseller knew exactly what he was doing when he allowed me to borrow it and I thought I'd roll a few opamps such as OPA827 and so, but I don't really see the point. Now to think that its balanced headamp might sound even better, next thing to try on my list
evil_smiley.gif

Jun 21, 2014 at 8:47 PM Post #100 of 139

I guess my reseller knew exactly what he was doing when he allowed me to borrow it and I thought I'd roll a few opamps such as OPA827 and so, but I don't really see the point. Now to think that its balanced headamp might sound even better, next thing to try on my list
evil_smiley.gif

Same here, despite owning it for a while now I've never felt an inclination to change the opamps. The setup it comes with feels ideal.

Jun 30, 2014 at 10:21 PM Post #103 of 139
http://www.asus.com/News/VyFfHIdglrOOH7uC

ASUS Announces Essence III DAC and JRiver Media Center Promotion
Highly-acclaimed multimedia software offered free with purchase of Essence III DAC

ASUS, in collaboration with JRiver, is offering customers a free copy of the JRiver Media Center application with the purchase of an ASUS Essence III digital-to-analog (DAC) converter. Starting in mid-April, Essence III will come bundled with a promotional code enabling customers around the world to download and permanently activate the full version of JRiver Media Center. Essence III functions as a preamplifier, USB DAC and headphone amplifier, and delivers serious audiophile-grade performance for those who demand the purest audio quality and listening flexibility. JRiver Media Center is a highly-acclaimed multimedia application for playing and organizing a wide range of audio, video, photo and document file formats. Its powerful feature set and compatibility with multiple audio technologies makes it the ideal media library for audiophiles. Essence III supports Audio Stream Input/Output (ASIO) and Direct Stream Digital (DSD) with JRiver Media Center, making them the perfect complement to each other for delivering an unparalleled listening experience.
Essence III DAC and JRiver Media Center—A winning combination for audiophiles

The flagship component in the ASUS Essence Series, Essence III was designed for the most demanding audiophiles and passionate headphone enthusiasts. It features a fully balanced design and the latest Direct Stream Digital (DSD) playback for the purest audio quality. Its built-in amplifier is capable of driving 600ohm headphones with a single 6.3mm jack connection, or a balanced set that uses two mini-XLR connectors for the best possible signal clarity and minimal interference.

Essence III's pure-gold temperature-compensated crystal oscillators (TCCO/TCXO) and asynchronous USB provide exceptionally precise timing. For extremely precise control, Essence III includes a set of stepped attenuators that works for headphones and line outputs. The relay-based construction eliminates the distortion associated with traditional volume controls, while the line output can be controlled remotely.

JRiver Media Center is a powerful and intuitive multimedia application for playing and organizing a wide range of audio, video, photo and document file formats. It includes audiophile-appreciated functionality such as support for the ASIO and Windows Audio Session API (WASAPI) protocols, as well as most audio formats, including WAV, AIFF, FLAC, APE, WMA Lossless, Apple Lossless and DSD (with a DSD-capable device). JRiver Media Center's intuitive user interface makes it easy to navigate your collection so you can spend more time listening to the music you love and enjoying your other multimedia content.

Using Essence III and JRiver Media Center together makes it easy for music lovers to set up ASIO and enjoy the low-latency, high-fidelity sound it delivers. Essence III includes a native ASIO driver and a bit-perfect indicator lamp on its front panel that illuminates when ASIO is operating. JRiver Media Center features one step ASIO playback setup, so audiophiles can quickly and conveniently experience the true-to-life musicality of Essence III.

JRiver Media Center also enables hassle-free setup of DSD, the latest music encoding technology that offers 64 or 128 times higher resolution than that of CDs. Essence III has native support for both DSD64 and DSD128 encoding rates over USB. With JRiver Media Center, it only requires two steps to enable DSD playback from Essence III, making it easy for audiophiles to indulge in digital listening at the highest possible quality levels.

Sep 3, 2014 at 7:05 PM Post #104 of 139
BTW, I'm surprised that Asus didn't provide a pinout for the balanced headamp, at least I can confirm that it's the same one that's used for regular XLR3's:

Pin 1: unused
Pin 2: signal
Pin 3: ground

And here goes for a NAD RP18 Kapton vintage ortho recabled using a HD650 cable together with mini-XLR3's meant for balanced operation off the E3:

Thick sounding, never agressive, very deep and wide, still very much in honeymoon here
tanya.gif

Also, I read on another forum that the E3 won the 2014 EISA award for the best USB DAC: http://www.eisa.eu/awards/hi-fi/19/european-usb-dac-2014-2015.html
 Its performance is as clean and incisive as the engineering, with an honest and compelling sound that puts many traditional hi-fi marques to shame

Rock on
runner11.gif

Sep 4, 2014 at 9:46 AM Post #105 of 139
Still happy with mine! The only issues I've run into now after owning it for a long time is that USB audio stops working after a while. All youtube videos refuse to play, any music whether it's via WASAPI, ASIO or the standard output doesn't work. So I've been running via a Musical Fidelity V-Link 192 instead that converts USB into AES. I saw that Asus has a firmware upgrade for the Essence III that "improves stability", so I'm going to try that today and see if it fixes the USB issue. It also doesn't inspire confidence that all the drivers are marked as "BETA" on the website. Apart from that it has been working brilliantly.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back