Asus Essence Xonar STX or Auzentech Forte for my proposed setup
May 15, 2009 at 5:41 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 26

jfourc

100+ Head-Fier
I've read all that I can about comparisons between these two sound cards, but haven't yet found an answer to some of my questions.

I recently built a gaming rig, but I skipped out on a sound card to stay within my budget. Now that I have more funds, it's time to get a sound card. My primary purpose for the sound card is gaming, movies, and TV. Music is important as well, but it is not as much of a priority because I listen to a lot of my music from my Marantz CD5003 (I like CDs).

Right now, I have HD650s and a Darkvoice 336se tube amp that I use with my CD5003. I would like to use my HD650s and Darkvoice 336se with whatever sound card I get through the analog line outs. I know that the HD650s aren't the best when it comes to gaming (FPS wise at least), but one thing at a time.

-That said, what would be better for gaming, movies, and TV through its analog line outs (basically using the cards as a DAC so the h/p amp will probably go unused) - the Essence or Forte?
-Are there better or cheaper (that can perform just as well) alternatives to these two cards (i.e. just get a Creative X-Fi card)?
-Also, what features do I lose from these cards if I use their analog line outs (i.e. I'm guessing I lose Dolby Headphone when I don't use the h/p amp on the Essence)?

Any advice is much appreciated. Thanks!

May 16, 2009 at 12:33 AM Post #3 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by ROBSCIX /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Considering this is a gaming rig, the Forte 7.1 is most likley the best match for your needs.

But he will only be using 2.0, so 7.1 is sort of pointless.

May 16, 2009 at 1:13 AM Post #5 of 26
As a gamer, it depends but it really comes down to this:

XP: Forte
Vista: Essence STX

EAX is useless in Vista due to the new sound architecture (not Creative's fault but more so Microsoft for not informing Creative early thus no time to build for WASAPI thus the need for ALchemy).

May 16, 2009 at 1:17 AM Post #6 of 26
The Forte still support OpenAL in Vista which is far from useless.
The Forte also work exceptionally well for games under Vista, I guess it depends on what the users needs are in relation to hardware gaming effects

May 16, 2009 at 1:26 AM Post #8 of 26
Fewer and few new games support EAX, they just use universal components from OS or simply build it along with the game.

Anyways, I suggest you try to listen by your self, cause listening is beliving.

May 16, 2009 at 1:55 AM Post #9 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by Reader /img/forum/go_quote.gif
EAX and OpenAL makes next to no difference when you only have 2.0. Unless you have a real surround sound set, no point in getting any xi-fi card.

Why do you think that? Headphoens are 2.0 and you can have great gaming effects with just two channels.

AS was said, the OP needs to consider what he is looking for in a card and maybe get to audition some of the latest offerings from the companies.

May 16, 2009 at 2:01 AM Post #10 of 26
Quote:

The Forte still support OpenAL in Vista which is far from useless.

So does the Asus Essence STX....
EAX on XP on EAX programmed games is still the best for gaming.

May 16, 2009 at 2:49 AM Post #11 of 26
Quote:

Why do you think that? Headphoens are 2.0 and you can have great gaming effects with just two channels.

AS was said, the OP needs to consider what he is looking for in a card and maybe get to audition some of the latest offerings from the companies.

We must have very different experience, even with creative card, I found 2.0, headphone or 2.0/2.1 speaker give no real positional sound other than left right.

May 16, 2009 at 4:05 AM Post #12 of 26
Thanks for the responses everyone. Unfortunately, the only way I could compare the two cards in person would be to buy both of them - unless someone here goes to UCLA and has either of these cards and is comfortable with me trying it out....

I guess I could rephrase my question as what card is the better DAC? If I had a choice I would have just got a dedicated DAC, but I want those special effects =\.

From what I've been reading on that massive STX thread, the Essence would have the better DAC than the Forte.

Also, eWiz.com is selling the STX for $165 shipped with coupon code Bens10 (a great deal btw for those who are wanting to buy the card).

May 16, 2009 at 8:30 AM Post #14 of 26
I currently have the Xfi fatality and the STX and i have quite similar rig as Jfourc but a LD mkiv instead of a darkvoice. For me the STX's sound quality is superior to the XFI but in game the XFI wins hand down, especially in games like Counter strike where enemy's noises/position sounds much more precise.

If your PC still has free slot, take the STX and a cheapo XFI extreme music which can be found on ebay for around 20-30$. You are set with this combo
wink.gif

PS: the STX can be pluggin in to any PCI Express slot, not only to the 1X one
wink.gif

May 16, 2009 at 4:12 PM Post #15 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by pumbaa32 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I currently have the Xfi fatality and the STX and i have quite similar rig as Jfourc but a LD mkiv instead of a darkvoice. For me the STX's sound quality is superior to the XFI but in game the XFI wins hand down, especially in games like Counter strike where enemy's noises/position sounds much more precise.

If your PC still has free slot, take the STX and a cheapo XFI extreme music which can be found on ebay for around 20-30$. You are set with this combo
wink.gif

PS: the STX can be pluggin in to any PCI Express slot, not only to the 1X one
wink.gif

That might be a good idea pumbaa. Or maybe I should just get the Forte since it really is not a bad card at all, and it is an X-Fi card (probably the best out there for my purposes). Plus, it's cheaper, won't take up as many slots on my mb as getting two sound cards, and I won't have the hassle of having to switch between two cards. Your take on the X-Fi in comparison to the STX is really helpful though. Btw, what settings do you use on the two cards - that might have an effect on your experience in CS?

And yea I understand I can stick a PCI-e X1 in any PCI-e slot, but even though this is a really good x58 mb that I have, Gigabyte really crammed the PCI and PCI-e slots close together because it's still a budget board. I can't even use one of my PCI-e x1 slots because it's right next to a heat sink, and the other one is taken up by a TV tuner card. The PCI-e X4 is out of the question too since it's being covered by the GPU, so that only leaves the other PCI-e X16 =(.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back