Asus Essence ST - fully modified ?
Mar 19, 2010 at 8:30 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 29

thoppa

100+ Head-Fier
Hi,

There's so many posts about this card I feel sure I've missed something. Please let me know if there's a modification I've missed. Here's a list of the mods I've done so far:

replace the oscillator with a low ps/ppm tcxo

replace the ceramic caps in the feedback circuit for the I/V op amps with metallised poly~ caps

boost the -12v to -15V and fit a 7912 regulator

remove the output coupling caps on the line out

use a linear lm317a or similar psu

upgrade the analogue section's decoupling caps with SilmicII

replace the op amp sockets and select some higher-performance op amps or discretes ( I'm using LME49720HA in I/V and dual AD797BRZ in the buffer ).

Have I missed anything ? Or is it finally finished ?
atsmile.gif

Mar 19, 2010 at 5:39 PM Post #5 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by giggs1434 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So could anyone here please suggest me some websites providing skin covers?

you love the smell of burning plastic in the morning basically?

Mar 19, 2010 at 7:13 PM Post #7 of 29
The seems pretty close to all the modifications that have been mentioned by other members. Are you keeping the board stereo or are you adding the H6 DAC board?
If you add that then you have more mods to do on that. Feedback caps, decoupling..etc..etc.

Mar 20, 2010 at 2:17 AM Post #8 of 29
Hi,

Thanks for the reply Rob. I'm sure you've read just about every post about this card so it seems it's done ! Woohoo !

I'm using the Onkyo for multi-channel because it is built-in and uses it's own break-out cable.

Thanks again.

Mar 20, 2010 at 2:26 AM Post #9 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by thoppa /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I like the smell of lead in the solder ! Um...actually, I'm just trying to get it as good as it can be....and I hope I'm there...

heh, I thought the guy above wanted to put a plastic skin on his STX...but he's just a spammer.

that sounds like a hell lot of trouble to get a good sounding source btw
tongue.gif

if I were you I'd try two LT1028ACN8 as final buffer...and possibly use it on Linux, coz the drivers look awesome there.

Mar 20, 2010 at 3:01 AM Post #10 of 29
@Lee, The source already sounds great, this is just improving it even further!
The end result is what he is after.

@Thoppa, yeah, I have a list of basically everything that can be done and has been done by people from various forums. I think you are using pretty close to the full potential of that design.

Mar 20, 2010 at 3:04 AM Post #11 of 29
Haha, yeah, got any pretty skins for the st ? now that's a mod too far....

I asked LT for some samples to try but they have still yet to deliver several months later. I've given up with them. I was going to get some from Farnell/RS but then I thought, why buy something from a company with customer service like that ? AD, National, Ti, all very good, so I get samples and also buy chips not in the sample program or when I need more. However, I might buy some just to try - I can always re-sell them.

Mar 20, 2010 at 3:13 AM Post #12 of 29
oh I see, they have bad customer support because they don't send you $20 opamps for free? haha, you're a bit spoiled my friend if I may ^^

1028AC is amazing.

Mar 20, 2010 at 4:25 AM Post #13 of 29
Come on, $20 is not that much for a great op amp. It's the price of Bursons etc that I find outrageous. Besides, LT agreed to send me samples and simply haven't, and the samples I wanted were US$2, not $20. So I'm not keen on buying their products now. However, the LT1028acn8 are about US$14 each here so I'll give them a go. The AD797B I have are one of the best op amps available imo, and aren't in their sample program, and cost about US$12 each from Farnell here. Another great op amp I have is the AD8620B, also not available as a sample. I'll continue to buy and promote AD but LT don't get my vote i'm afraid. Have you heard the AD797B ?

Mar 20, 2010 at 8:17 AM Post #14 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by giggs1434 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hi everyone..
I bought new asus eee last week and i need a good looking skin cover on it.
So could anyone here please suggest me some websites providing skin covers?

asus eee pc skin covers

I've been ordering from Schtickers. They seem like the most economical skins out there and they're quite durable.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back