Asus Essence One Headphone Amp/DAC (CeBIT 2011)
Mar 8, 2013 at 5:18 AM Post #1,771 of 3,573
The drivers are quite bad (seems the same with every ASUS soundcard). The dropouts from ASIO are most likely a driver issue.
The channel imbalance and sometimes complete drop-out of the entire midrange in a song (until I power cycle the unit) are what caused me to return the unit and get something completely different instead. Now I'm not looking back.

Mar 8, 2013 at 6:28 AM Post #1,772 of 3,573
Quote:
The drivers are quite bad (seems the same with every ASUS soundcard). The dropouts from ASIO are most likely a driver issue.
The channel imbalance and sometimes complete drop-out of the entire midrange in a song (until I power cycle the unit) are what caused me to return the unit and get something completely different instead. Now I'm not looking back.

Never had such a problem with E1 neither from Foobar nor JRiver MC18 that I'm using now.

Mar 8, 2013 at 6:42 AM Post #1,773 of 3,573
Who knows, maybe the drivers are better now - I got mine back when people used to brick it with the firmware update that they later pulled. Still, I tested 3 units and I absolutely loathe the Xonar Essence One as a result of my experience with it.

Mar 8, 2013 at 6:43 AM Post #1,774 of 3,573
I also use both foobar and J.River 18 and found no ASIO issues.

Are you by any chance running Windows 8?
Even though there's drivers for them, there might still be an issue.

Mar 8, 2013 at 7:24 AM Post #1,775 of 3,573
Quote:

I even use cplay which is one of the most "picky" players but best sounding, and it worked smooth , all what I have to do is to change the Asio setting in the Asio control panel to 32.

I have my Asus Muses running on 3 different PCs , XP (cplay), windows 7 (foobar), Windows 8 (Jriver), and did not have a single error or problem.

Mar 8, 2013 at 9:57 AM Post #1,776 of 3,573
Quote:

I never had any issues with the E1 or other ASUS products I have tested (which is many).  Every system is different, so perhaps it is something else in your rig causing issues with the audio subsystem?

Mar 8, 2013 at 2:25 PM Post #1,778 of 3,573
Quote:

I've been using Win 8 for a little while now with no ASIO issues. 

Yeah, I have Win 8 on another PC and experience no issues as well.

I believe it depends from PC to PC as some people sometimes install wrong drivers that corrupts required files, or even, have lack of drivers.

Mar 8, 2013 at 6:08 PM Post #1,779 of 3,573
Try a another USB 2.0 port. I had this problem for along time, I'm not sure if it was the USB or just burn-in time that fixed it, It works fine now

Mar 9, 2013 at 3:04 AM Post #1,781 of 3,573
I noticed the skipping doesn't occur when I stop the song (by hitting the square) and then switching to a different song. If I don't stop the song before switching to another the skipping occurs, only happens on ASIO though. Anyone else experience the same?

Also,  am I all up to date on firmware and drivers?

Essence One Driver Version 7.0.11.5
Essence One F/W Version 1.27
Audio Chip F/W Version 0111

Mar 12, 2013 at 3:33 AM Post #1,784 of 3,573
Might be worth writing up your system config and a parts list. Doesn't seem this is a common problem. What configuration changes if any have you made to Foobar? Is this install of Windows 7 fresh, or do you have lots of background services and apps running?

-Raja

Users who are viewing this thread

Back