Asus Essence One Headphone Amp/DAC (CeBIT 2011)
Feb 7, 2013 at 10:07 AM Post #1,307 of 3,573
Why not get the unit first and see if you actually need to change the gain (may find you have enough range)? No point in doing anything this complex if you don't. The gain jumper was only added for very sensitive IEMs, which not everyone uses at home. Put simply, if you don't need lower gain, there's no need to mod the unit so extensively. If it were me I'd likely get by with software level volume control as well (Foobar) etc.

Your case is a little difficult due to your location - either way, hardmods like these invalidate warranty, so you need to weigh up if importing (same warranty issue) is the better option if you must have gain I suppose. Good Luck!

Quote:
Hi asus!

Thanks for your special appearance and response to my inquiry.

Due to the location where I'm from (Singapore), there is a MOQ imposed to our distro which makes it difficult for them to bring in E1 muses. As such, i'm left with few options - either I parallel import one without warranty or get an E1 base version (with warranty) and mod it to muses.

I already chosen the latter and done with getting the muses 01 opamp. However the next mod which is the gain control now may seems a tad too difficult for me to implement. I might have to look at the schematic or replicate that portion of the revised PCB onto a stripe board or self fabricate and get the necessary parts, e.g. Jumper switch, Resistors (non-SMT) and hardwired that small PCB into my PCB. Which is why I need to find out more before executing this in real time.

Feb 7, 2013 at 10:34 AM Post #1,308 of 3,573
Why not get the unit first and see if you actually need to change the gain (may find you have enough range)? No point in doing anything this complex if you don't. The gain jumper was only added for very sensitive IEMs, which not everyone uses at home. Put simply, if you don't need lower gain, there's no need to mod the unit so extensively. If it were me I'd likely get by with software level volume control as well (Foobar) etc.

Your case is a little difficult due to your location - either way, hardmods like these invalidate warranty, so you need to weigh up if importing (same warranty issue) is the better option if you must have gain I suppose. Good Luck!

Hi there,

I'm using a pretty sensitive iem JH16pro and I already tested with it without the gain control in the E1 base version. It doesn't have the range that I can control - simply put it - the headphone pot of the E1 is too powerful hence covering up most details in the iem. I need something to "stretch" or "thin" the volume.

I also tried foobar gain but it sounds a little "static" or not natural to me. Maybe it just me that's feeling that.

Anyway just curious, is there any after market adaptor that can lower the gain via a headphone jack?

Thanks for your advice and information, appreciated!

Feb 7, 2013 at 11:10 AM Post #1,309 of 3,573
Quote:
Sorry about the pressure bud.... But my guess is that you (yourself) can't wait to get your hands on this baby as well - right? Hahaha

:)

popcorn.gif

Feb 7, 2013 at 3:02 PM Post #1,310 of 3,573
Quote:
I dare you! You better explain us the meaning of life asap! 
deadhorse.gif

biggrin.gif

Not sure if you're serious, but i do have a 10 PG paper on the meaning of life, i labeled Animus of Life which was done in my high school days.
All cited and everything. muahaha.
Quote:
Hi asus!

Thanks for your special appearance and response to my inquiry.

Due to the location where I'm from (Singapore), there is a MOQ imposed to our distro which makes it difficult for them to bring in E1 muses. As such, i'm left with few options - either I parallel import one without warranty or get an E1 base version (with warranty) and mod it to muses.

I already chosen the latter and done with getting the muses 01 opamp. However the next mod which is the gain control now may seems a tad too difficult for me to implement. I might have to look at the schematic or replicate that portion of the revised PCB onto a stripe board or self fabricate and get the necessary parts, e.g. Jumper switch, Resistors (non-SMT) and hardwired that small PCB into my PCB. Which is why I need to find out more before executing this in real time.

Surely can be done if they provide you with the schematic.
I would even do myself, if only i had some more relevant information on it, so that would put us in the same boat.

Feb 7, 2013 at 5:57 PM Post #1,311 of 3,573
@ Tim

"Headphones:
Audeze LCD-2"

I see what you did there
biggrin.gif

Gratulation on your new pair of headphones! Let us know what you think when use together with the E1 - So far I've only heared good things with this combo. They seem to drive them really well and add some nice fun-factor to them :)

Feb 7, 2013 at 6:11 PM Post #1,312 of 3,573
Quote:
@ Tim

"Headphones:
Audeze LCD-2"

I see what you did there
biggrin.gif

Gratulation on your new pair of headphones! Let us know what you think when use together with the E1 - So far I've only heared good things with this combo. They seem to drive them really well and add some nice fun-factor to them :)

The LCD-2 is easy to drive and isn't as picky as the HD-800 and LCD-3, which was why i got it.

I'll be sure to let you know how the two meshes.

By the way, your monkey avatar is freaking cool. Out of this world.

Tim

Feb 7, 2013 at 6:21 PM Post #1,313 of 3,573
Quote:
The LCD-2 is easy to drive and isn't as picky as the HD-800 and LCD-3, which was why i got it.

I'll be sure to let you know how the two meshes.

By the way, your monkey avatar is freaking cool. Out of this world.

Tim

Hey!!! I'm no Monkey - I'm FLAT ERIC!

Look me in the eyes (my avatar)... look very closely...
YES, look CLOSER!

Now say my name!
FFFFFLAT ERIC!
cool.gif

NOW LET'S KICK IT, TOGETHER!

Feb 7, 2013 at 6:41 PM Post #1,314 of 3,573
Who's your crack supplier nowadays?

Feb 7, 2013 at 6:47 PM Post #1,315 of 3,573
Quote:
Who's your crack supplier nowadays?

Crack?!
eek.gif

Not me... I wouldn't do such "illegal" things! NEVER!

Anyway, let's get back to topic
redface.gif

Feb 7, 2013 at 7:29 PM Post #1,316 of 3,573
Quote:

Crack?!
eek.gif

Not me... I wouldn't do such "illegal" things! NEVER!

Anyway, let's get back to topic
redface.gif

OH! So it's that KIND of party.

Tim

Feb 8, 2013 at 10:06 PM Post #1,317 of 3,573
Quote:
OH! So it's that KIND of party.

Tim

BTW: Why is this thread been so quiet right after our "special party"?
smile.gif

Quote:
Hi there,

I'm using a pretty sensitive iem JH16pro and I already tested with it without the gain control in the E1 base version. It doesn't have the range that I can control - simply put it - the headphone pot of the E1 is too powerful hence covering up most details in the iem. I need something to "stretch" or "thin" the volume.

I also tried foobar gain but it sounds a little "static" or not natural to me. Maybe it just me that's feeling that.

Anyway just curious, is there any after market adaptor that can lower the gain via a headphone jack?

Thanks for your advice and information, appreciated!

Just order the E1 Muses Ed. right away and if you don't like it, send it back
smile.gif

I'm sure you will be more than pleased with your new toy though
basshead.gif

Feb 8, 2013 at 10:19 PM Post #1,318 of 3,573
I don't know why, but most of the time, when i post, it immediately gets quiet. I think i have bad luck.

Tim

Feb 8, 2013 at 11:09 PM Post #1,319 of 3,573
Quote:
I don't know why, but most of the time, when i post, it immediately gets quiet. I think i have bad luck.

Tim

I think your posts are lacking emoticons
rolleyes.gif

Feb 8, 2013 at 11:33 PM Post #1,320 of 3,573
Just order the E1 Muses Ed. right away and if you don't like it, send it back :smile:
I'm sure you will be more than pleased with your new toy though :basshead:

I wish I could - but most online store don't ship out of US and it will cost a bomb for the shipping due to the weight of it plus the 7% custom tax that I need to pay for this to enter Singapore.

Life sux dude... Hmmm

Users who are viewing this thread

Back