Asus Essence One Headphone Amp/DAC (CeBIT 2011)
Feb 6, 2013 at 2:31 PM Post #1,276 of 3,573
Hey JustinGN and welcome!

I more than happy to give you my thoughts about the Essence One.
I own the HD 800 for over a year now. I used to amp them with the Fiio E9 as well and I pretty much enjoyed that combination (especially for their price - the amp of course^^). But after quite some time I was looking for an improvement over the Fiio E9. I have tried the Lehmann Audio Rhinelander and the Xonar STX, both were quite the some sounding as the Fiio E9 or worse. I knew I had to spend more on an amp to actually hear an improvement. So I had an eye on the more "higher-end" amplifiers out there such as the Lehmann Audio Black Cube Linear, Woo Audio and some more (sorry I forgot their names).

Luckely I've came across the Xonar Essence One. Freshly announced an all in one amplifier with swappable opamps and an extremly low price for their specs. I have ordered my E1 from Amazon for about 340 euros only. Amazon Marketplace, used but good as new (just the package got opened once but I think the device never actually got used once :smile: ) .
As I'm mainly listening to electronic music I wanted to have bit more bass emphasis in my music and an overall smoother sound over the Fiio E9 - the E9 always were a bit to harsh and fatiguing to my ears. I still got them though. For 1:1 comparision for example :smile: .

I can tell you, the E1 delivers! They are such a great match with the HD 800 you will love them. Lack of bass on the HD 800 almost everyone is talking about? Not with the E1. The Sennies are very amp picky thats for sure and I think they may best harmonize with a tube amp as well. The HD 800 (for my ears), need an amp that produces a more smoother and analog sound just what a tube amp delivers (in theory). It's diffrent with solid-state-amps as they normally tend to be more "harsh" for the ears but the Essence One is an exception! The built in NE5532's opamps on the stock E1 delivers a really nice warm sound, less fatiguing over the Fiio E9 and a more deeper bass. I even find myself not touching the Equilizer anymore as I used to on the Fiio E9!

So my recommandation is, go with the standard Essence One and if you feel like you want to step a bit higher, change the opamps on them (you will find tons of reviews from users on which combination sounds best and which not). And if you want to test the sound on the MUSES, you can easily buy the MUSES 01 opamps later and save yourself some money too! Don't worry we will explain you how to :beerchug:
Many head-fiers upgraded their standard E1 to a MUSES later (stares at Tim :tongue_smile: ).
There's just one reason why you would need an original E1 Muses Edition - 1. if you desperately need a gain switcher (for IEM especially) and 2. you prefer the black chime tiger :atsmile:

Hope I could help you a little with your choice :xf_eek:

That's very true and I'm one of the user that's heading the muses direction. I need the gain jumper feature (not the black tiger - ha!) for my JH16pro but its not in my base version of E1. I tried online searching and looking at those muses version internal view also can't find that gain jumper. Does this jumper actually exist during the final production for muses E1? Even the asus official website didn't state this feature.... Hmmm...

Feb 6, 2013 at 2:43 PM Post #1,277 of 3,573
Quote:
You can try some free TI samples before you buy the muses to test some possibilities.

I keep hearing about these free samples.  I'm going to Google and see what I can find, but in the interim, does anyone have the direct link off-hand that I can reference?

Quote:
There's just one reason why you would need an original E1 Muses Edition - 1. if you desperately need a gain switcher (for IEM especially) and 2. you prefer the black chime tiger
atsmile.gif

By IEM, I'm assuming you mean In-Ear Monitors, and that's not an issue. IEM's are absolutely painful for me to wear for any length of time, so I ditch them or give them away as soon as I get 'em in new portable players and the like.  The Earpods by Apple were far more comfortable, and I think a custom-molded pair of IEMs could do a world of good, but I'd rather put that money towards a proper Hi-Fi or more gear! 
biggrin.gif

Quote:

P.S. That's one hell of an upgrade. Going from 555's to the 800 is like maniacal.

Tim

That's partly why I'm a little concerned about my current setup! The irony here being that I'm willing to drop ~$2k on the HD800s and an Essence One, but I balk at the $1000 needed to build a new PC. 
confused_face.gif
  Thanks for the advice though!

Feb 6, 2013 at 2:43 PM Post #1,278 of 3,573
If you look at the new Fiio Mont Blanc's Flagship portable amplifier, specifically the interior specifications, it seems like a miniature portable Essence One.
Just with the battery rather than the toroidal transformer.

1. Wima Capacitors
  2. NEC/TOKIN UC2 Low Signal Relays
  3. LME49600 Operational Amplfier

Tim

Feb 6, 2013 at 2:55 PM Post #1,279 of 3,573
Quote:

I keep hearing about these free samples.  I'm going to Google and see what I can find, but in the interim, does anyone have the direct link off-hand that I can reference?

By IEM, I'm assuming you mean In-Ear Monitors, and that's not an issue. IEM's are absolutely painful for me to wear for any length of time, so I ditch them or give them away as soon as I get 'em in new portable players and the like.  The Earpods by Apple were far more comfortable, and I think a custom-molded pair of IEMs could do a world of good, but I'd rather put that money towards a proper Hi-Fi or more gear! 
biggrin.gif

That's partly why I'm a little concerned about my current setup! The irony here being that I'm willing to drop ~$2k on the HD800s and an Essence One, but I balk at the $1000 needed to build a new PC. 
confused_face.gif

If money is an issue, I wouldn't consider buying the HD 800 just yet. They are diffrent headphones out there that will make your ears happy, just have a look around. If you wan't something similar to the HD 800 for a lower price, you may consider the HD600/650.
The HD800 is indeed an expensive piece of gear. You should try to find a retailer where you can try all these diffrent headphones out and form your own opinion - then you can tell if they are worth the extra
redface.gif

Feb 6, 2013 at 3:00 PM Post #1,280 of 3,573
Quote:
If you look at the new Fiio Mont Blanc's Flagship portable amplifier, specifically the interior specifications, it seems like a miniature portable Essence One.
Just with the battery rather than the toroidal transformer.

1. Wima Capacitors
  2. NEC/TOKIN UC2 Low Signal Relays
  3. LME49600 Operational Amplfier

Tim

Wow, the Mont Blanc looks sexy for a portable amp! Thanks for the info!
Are they available yet? I can't seem to find them on the internet for sale.

-- Ah, I see...
"The Pre order unit will be delivered before 10th , Jan, 2013 and we will carry some to CES."
Nevermind :)

Feb 6, 2013 at 3:16 PM Post #1,281 of 3,573
Quote:
If money is an issue, I wouldn't consider buying the HD 800 just yet. 

Oh, it's not an issue, it's just part of my personality.  I tried the HD 800's at PAX East last year, and thought the Colorware price for them was a steal with a custom paint job (now if they'd just deliver them...).  I saved up for months in order to buy them. 
biggrin.gif
 But part of my personality is value vs price. For $1500 for the HD 800s, they're something I expect to get several years (even decades) worth of use out of.  With the Essence One, I'm looking at a five year or more lifecycle before new or compelling technology mandates an upgrade.  With a PC, I'm looking at six months to a year before it's outdated, which is why I balk at the $1000 price tag for it 
wink_face.gif
.  I've spent a heck of a lot more on my 5.1 B&W system, and I expect to keep that around just as long (if not longer) than my HD800s.

Feb 6, 2013 at 3:25 PM Post #1,282 of 3,573
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenion /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Many head-fiers upgraded their standard E1 to a MUSES later (*stares at Tim 
tongue_smile.gif
*).
There's just one reason why you would need an original E1 Muses Edition - 1. if you desperately need a gain switcher (for IEM especially) and 2. you prefer the black chime tiger 
atsmile.gif

I didn't just upgrade it, i changed it into a FIRE BREATHING DRAGON!
Still working on the PCI-E Custom Cable so pictures are not out yet.

& i hear that the golden chime tiger is actually gold plated or sprayed with actual gold, so it should make you feel more of a baller (pimp/swag/woot woot/yolo)

biggrin.gif

confused_face.gif

You can contact Texas Instruments for samples. Just only ask for 3-5 and say for the purpose.
You'll have to understand, Music/Audio is a lot more future proof than computer parts, so just tell yourself that it was perfectly ok. 
Just look at when the HD-800 and Essence was originally released. Look at today's date and see what new "upgrades" they have. 
Close to none right? PC's generally get faster every 18 months (Moore's Law), so again, it's ok. I just bought GTX680's awhile ago, and now already preparing for ther 7XX Series.

Quote:

If money is an issue, I wouldn't consider buying the HD 800 just yet. They are diffrent headphones out there that will make your ears happy, just have a look around. If you wan't something similar to the HD 800 for a lower price, you may consider the HD600/650.
The HD800 is indeed an expensive piece of gear. You should try to find a retailer where you can try all these diffrent headphones out and form your own opinion - then you can tell if they are worth the extra
redface.gif

Test beforeee trynaaaa getttt.
IMO planars sound better, so i'd get a used LCD-2 for $780, however the HD-800 is the best dynamic i've ever heard.

Feb 6, 2013 at 3:39 PM Post #1,283 of 3,573
Quote:

I didn't just upgrade it, i changed it into a FIRE BREATHING DRAGON!

PICTURES OR IT DIDN'T HAPPEN!
deadhorse.gif

All we got to see from you so far, were close-ups from your E1 scrambled into thousend pieces!
biggrin.gif

Quote:

& i hear that the golden chime tiger is actually gold plated or sprayed with actual gold, so it should make you feel more of a baller (pimp/swag/woot woot/yolo)

Quote:
IMO planars sound better, so i'd get a used LCD-2 for $780, however the HD-800 is the best dynamic i've ever heard.

Man, I would kill for a used pair of LCD-2's for only 780 bucks!
rolleyes.gif

Feb 6, 2013 at 3:55 PM Post #1,284 of 3,573

Pretty sure i did post them!

Still have to make a few minor updates such as the PCI-E Cable & EMI Shield.

EMI Shield is consist of copper/aluminum EMI Tape.
Toroidal Transformer is extremely close to the Audio board and Linear Power Supply Circuit.
It will not affect the Power Supply, but will be bad for audio circuits.
Look at the Centrance DACmini for example, they have two large machined aluminum walls to help block emi from their audio circuit.

Man, I would kill for a used pair of LCD-2's for only 780 bucks! 
rolleyes.gif

http://www.head-fi.org/t/592942/fs-audeze-lcd-2-rev-2-price-revision
I'm about to grab this one, hopefully it will make a good addition to my HE-400/HE-500 collection.
Afterwards, i'm going for the HD-800.
Planning on selling the HE-400 later on.
HE-500/Audeze LCD-2 Rev 2/HD-800 is what i want.

Tim

Feb 7, 2013 at 12:29 AM Post #1,285 of 3,573
So I found an article on opamps that had a specific section on the AD797 and its output distortion compensation. Apparently the AD797B was designed to have a 50pF capacitor connected between pins 6 and 8. So that's what I did.

Yes, I also installed a fan. Turns out when you take the voltage selector switch off of its mount the space it occupied is perfect for a small fan.

As far as the mod goes I can say that I honestly believe that I have tamed the AD797 on the Essence One. The sound quality, at least to me, has improved all around.

Feb 7, 2013 at 12:46 AM Post #1,286 of 3,573
Quote:
http://www.head-fi.org/t/592942/fs-audeze-lcd-2-rev-2-price-revision
I'm about to grab this one, hopefully it will make a good addition to my HE-400/HE-500 collection.
Afterwards, i'm going for the HD-800.
Planning on selling the HE-400 later on.
HE-500/Audeze LCD-2 Rev 2/HD-800 is what i want.

Tim

Go for it! Owning both the LCD2/3 and the HD-800 is, i think, everyones dream as they are both gods in their own territory :)

I always wanted to test the Audeze headphones, unfortunately there appears to be that almost no retailer nearby has them available.
I've heared they have a dark sound signature, excellent bass and somewhat forgiving with the material - just what I'm looking for.
However, there are rumors that say the LCD 2 Rev.1 were quite uncomfortable and the LCD 3 is the most comfortable out of them all - comfort is most importance for me.

My plan is, as I'll be visiting Manila,Philippines from 28.Feb - 19.March: I will head to the official Audeze-reseller in Manila ( http://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Listening-Room-Philippines/166737056702469 ) try the LCD 3's out there (they got them in stock) and if Iike em, I will probably buy them from there.

Ordering them online from Audeze isn't possible to Germany and if I would buy them used from anywhere outside Eurpope, I may have to pay a riddiculous amount of taxes.
Buying them in Germany isn't an option... Here they charge you 1,000 Euro's for the LCD 2 (~1,351 USD) and 2,000 Euro's for the LCD 3 (~2,700 USD)...

I will let you know If choose to buy them from there. If I did, I will most certainly sell you my trusty HD 800's! - unfortunately, I can't own them both or some not-so-mysterious person will come to my house and murder me!
biggrin.gif

Quote:
So I found an article on opamps that had a specific section on the AD797 and its output distortion compensation. Apparently the AD797B was designed to have a 50pF capacitor connected between pins 6 and 8. So that's what I did.

Yes, I also installed a fan. Turns out when you take the voltage selector switch off of its mount the space it occupied is perfect for a small fan.

As far as the mod goes I can say that I honestly believe that I have tamed the AD797 on the Essence One. The sound quality, at least to me, has improved all around.

Wow! Good job on "taming" the AD797's. I would love to know how to do that on my E1.
redface.gif

Feb 7, 2013 at 1:10 AM Post #1,287 of 3,573
Quote:

Is there any negatives to having a small 50mm fan like that?
Would it affect audio parts having a wind pressure running through the essence?
If not, then i'll do the same. That's pretty much the perfect spot for a fan, and i have thought about doing that.
The power supply heat-sink is the hottest part of the essence one, and having a fan to exhaust the heat would do a lot of justice.
What RPM do you have your fan set to?

& it looks like you have the Chinese polyester film capacitors. 50pF is sufficient?
Quote:

Go for it! Owning both the LCD2/3 and the HD-800 is, i think, everyones dream as they are both gods in their own territory :)

I always wanted to test the Audeze headphones, unfortunately there appears to be that almost no retailer nearby has them available.
I've heared they have a dark sound signature, excellent bass and somewhat forgiving with the material - just what I'm looking for.
However, there are rumors that say the LCD 2 Rev.1 were quite uncomfortable and the LCD 3 is the most comfortable out of them all - comfort is most importance for me.

My plan is, as I'll be visiting Manila,Philippines from 28.Feb - 19.March: I will head to the official Audeze-reseller in Manila ( http://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Listening-Room-Philippines/166737056702469 ) try the LCD 3's out there (they got them in stock) and if Iike em, I will probably buy them from there.

Ordering them online from Audeze isn't possible to Germany and if I would buy them used from anywhere outside Eurpope, I would have to pay a riddiculous amount of taxes.
Buying them in Germany isn't an option... Here they charge you 1,000 Euro's for the LCD 2 (~1,351 USD) and 2,000 Euro's for the LCD 3 (~2,700 USD)...

I will let you know If choose to buy them from there. If I did, I will most certainly sell you my trusty HD 800's! - unfortunately, I can't own them both or some not-so-mysterious person will come to my house and murder me!
biggrin.gif

Wow! Good job on "taming" the AD797's. I would love to know how to do that on my E1.
redface.gif

I've decided not to get a LCD-3.
Just HIFIMAN HE-500 / Audeze LCD-2 / Sennheiser HD-800 and one IEM for on the go listening.
Afraid it would be amp picky like the HE-6.
I also hear that it's the most comfortable, and best sounding.
Words on the street, says that the Rev.2 is better than Rev.1.

If you ever get it, i'd be more than happy to take the HD-800 off your hands. I'm not that sceptical about used parts.

Tim

Feb 7, 2013 at 1:20 AM Post #1,288 of 3,573
It's just a 12V 0.07A fan, I have no idea what RPM it run at, I just had it in a box of random parts. As for wind pressure there's none in the audio handling section. The fan only creates a slight amount of pressure at its exhaust and is whisper quiet so it can't be running more than 1200rpm. All it really does is help pull some heat away from the power supply section. As for the capacitors I used look closely at the front section of the I/V opamps you'll see two little ceramic disks, one for each individual opamp.

Feb 7, 2013 at 1:38 AM Post #1,289 of 3,573
Quote:
It's just a 12V 0.07A fan, I have no idea what RPM it run at, I just had it in a box of random parts. As for wind pressure there's none in the audio handling section. The fan only creates a slight amount of pressure at its exhaust and is whisper quiet so it can't be running more than 1200rpm. All it really does is help pull some heat away from the power supply section. As for the capacitors I used look closely at the front section of the I/V opamps you'll see two little ceramic disks, one for each individual opamp.

oooh. i see it now. ceramic to handle the HF. Nice.
It's a 50mm fan though right? Just to be one hundred perfect sure, so that i can grab one.

Tim

Feb 7, 2013 at 2:15 AM Post #1,290 of 3,573
Quote:
oooh. i see it now. ceramic to handle the HF. Nice.
It's a 50mm fan though right? Just to be one hundred perfect sure, so that i can grab one.

Tim

Looked up the part number on the fan. Using this: http://www.amazon.com/Scythe-Mini-Ultra-Silent-SY124020L/dp/B0016CMCBG. Actually spins at 3,500rpm. Can barely hear the thing though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back