Asus Essence One Headphone Amp/DAC (CeBIT 2011)
Dec 20, 2011 at 4:27 AM Post #496 of 3,573
Will the E1 be able to drive my AKG 601's?

I am also looking at getting the KRK Rokit 6's which come in both passive and powered. http://www.krksys.com/krk-studio-monitor-speakers/rokit/rokit-6.html

Now I am a bit noobish in the area, is it unfavourable to use powered speakers with the E1 or any other amp for that matter?
If so, how would I hookup E1 to the passive Rokit 6 which only has a 5-way binding post input?

Dec 20, 2011 at 5:33 AM Post #497 of 3,573
Ok, so after reading through 34 pages, can someone tell me if the E1 has an analogue volume control ?

If not, is a digital volume control a bad thing ? I've heard of people saying that it cuts out bits ?

Dec 20, 2011 at 10:34 PM Post #498 of 3,573
I believe it's analogue. Period.
If you listen carefully, it's still not that linear and presents the character of common analogue VR controller.

Dec 21, 2011 at 4:48 PM Post #499 of 3,573

Hi,

Has anyone tried updating the driver?

My driver is version 7.0.8.2158

The latest driver on the Asus site is 7.12.8.2158.

I've run the driver setup but my driver version has not changed...

It does say it's the "first release", so maybe I already have the latest version?

Thanks,
adsmithy

Dec 21, 2011 at 5:03 PM Post #500 of 3,573

Originally Posted by drez /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Unfortunately there doesn't seem to be many dedicated reviewers looking at the Essence One so it is hard to say how it stands against the competition, but Leeperry's comment on the soundstage sounds promising.  On that, how does it compare to your Stello Eximus DP-1?

Very different, the DP-1 has a very "live" sound, just like this mini-review says: http://cgi.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cl_sold.pl?preatran&1324341036

Everything sounds as if it were happening in a big room and you'd be standing right in the middle. It's also fully discrete, so it has a "sweet" coloration just like the 6moons review says...but not drastic THD like on those cheap discrete opamps, this is a completely different ball park here. Movies through Reclock sound absolutely out of this word
normal_smile%20.gif

OTOH, the One with stock opamps has a "discreter than discrete" SS to my ears, where the DP1 likes to give a live feeling, the One puts every actor of the SS within its own mini-SS, it's kinda hard to explain but it digs for details in a very impressive way. I've definitely been stunned by the SS of this thing, it's just that I'm really not too fund of the sound of those 5532/4562 dual opamps....once my friend gets his stash of AD797B's(that were shipped last week from China), I'll give it a go again and report back
popcorn.gif

Dec 22, 2011 at 1:23 AM Post #501 of 3,573

Quote:

Very different, the DP-1 has a very "live" sound, just like this mini-review says: http://cgi.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cl_sold.pl?preatran&1324341036

Everything sounds as if it were happening in a big room and you'd be standing right in the middle. It's also fully discrete, so it has a "sweet" coloration just like the 6moons review says...but not drastic THD like on those cheap discrete opamps, this is a completely different ball park here. Movies through Reclock sound absolutely out of this word
normal_smile%20.gif

OTOH, the One with stock opamps has a "discreter than discrete" SS to my ears, where the DP1 likes to give a live feeling, the One puts every actor of the SS within its own mini-SS, it's kinda hard to explain but it digs for details in a very impressive way. I've definitely been stunned by the SS of this thing, it's just that I'm really not too fund of the sound of those 5532/4562 dual opamps....once my friend gets his stash of AD797B's(that were shipped last week from China), I'll give it a go again and report back
popcorn.gif

Cool, thanks for impressions - sounds pretty promising.  This thing puts out balanced outputs right?  Can you bypass the volume pot also?

Dec 26, 2011 at 1:10 PM Post #504 of 3,573

Quote:

normal_smile%20.gif

popcorn.gif

Hi Lee thanks for your input, look forward to your further experience with the Dac. Obviously your comparing it to the Stello Eximus which is an unknown quantity to most people at the moment. Can you say how it compares to other Dacs/headphone amps you've tried, budget or otherwise? As i myself im trying to get a handle on the sound balance of the Asus (for use with HD650/active speakers). As for the price it seems to compare very well with the Benchmark Dac.(Ive had a few Dacs with the same functionality, Benchmark, Matrix Mini, MDAC and the Dacmagic Plus).

Where does it stand in the in relation to other Dacs you've tried, worth the money, a good all rounder?

Dec 28, 2011 at 11:04 AM Post #506 of 3,573
I just broke my Fiio E10 and the E7 so I need something like this. Anyone know how good are these in terms of amping the akg k702.  I really enjoyed the way E10 was dealing with the akg. I was planning to buy the Burson HA-160 and use it with my Bresford DAC but this looks a lot more compact and the XLR out means I can use the XLR connection of the studio monitors that I got.

Any idea guys, appreciate it greatly. 

Dec 28, 2011 at 2:58 PM Post #507 of 3,573

Quote:
I just broke my Fiio E10 and the E7 so I need something like this. Anyone know how good are these in terms of amping the akg k702.  I really enjoyed the way E10 was dealing with the akg. I was planning to buy the Burson HA-160 and use it with my Bresford DAC but this looks a lot more compact and the XLR out means I can use the XLR connection of the studio monitors that I got.

Any idea guys, appreciate it greatly. 

I ran a search for you.
There are two people who have reported having / using the Asus with the Q701.
Pretty much the same thing as your K702. See posts #334 and #460 in this thread.
PM them and ask them directly.

I have never heard the Asus DAC/amp, I do own the K702.
The HA-160 is one of the most excellent amps that has the power to drive the K702 to it's full potential.
I've heard this pairing multiple times and it is wonderful. Of course the source matters too. Your's would be different.

Dec 28, 2011 at 6:49 PM Post #508 of 3,573

Thank you for your reply. The reason why I am interested is I think if this product was produce by any other smaller company the product might get much more positive attention and the price would be much higher. This things is loaded with features. 

The PMing begins :)
Quote:
I ran a search for you.
There are two people who have reported having / using the Asus with the Q701.
Pretty much the same thing as your K702. See posts #334 and #460 in this thread.
PM them and ask them directly.

I have never heard the Asus DAC/amp, I do own the K702.
The HA-160 is one of the most excellent amps that has the power to drive the K702 to it's full potential.
I've heard this pairing multiple times and it is wonderful. Of course the source matters too. Your's would be different.

Dec 28, 2011 at 11:33 PM Post #510 of 3,573
I was thinking of essense One, it is featured packed but never used it.  I had a burson HA-160 and I love how it sounds with k702. I tried many headphones, the D5000 and HD 600 to me akg k702 is what I liked. I sold the HA-160 due to finance issues and bought a bresford caiman later. I love the DAC and I use it mostly as a preamp but it just doesnt do justice to the k702. Now I have the cash to spend it. I can spend up to $900. I need both and amp and a DAC.  I dont need a preamp.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back