Asus Essence One Headphone Amp/DAC (CeBIT 2011)
Dec 6, 2011 at 11:12 AM Post #421 of 3,573

Quote:
I'm using both for audio, TV im using DAC to amp.

My audio set up is:
Phones = Laptop -> E1 -> HD650
Speakers = Laptop -> E1 -> Rega Brio-R -> Monitor Audio Rx1

Tv:
Tv -> E1 (optical) -> Rega Brio-R -> Monitor Audio Rx1
Tv -> Rega Brio-R (RCA) -> Monitor Audio Rx1
I've tried the above from both TV and Virgin media box. But switching inputs on my amp from RCA direct to digital from E1 makes no difference in sound to me.

So, you're of the opinion that the DAC in the E1 is superior to the one in the STX? I'm curious because I have a STX and I'm wondering if the E1 is a worthwhile upgrade, ie. worthy of $300 or if I should get it at the expense of something else in my decidedly mid-fi setup. Hope what I'm asking makes sense. I guess I should wait for a proper review but in the meantime any feedback in this regard would be highly appreciated.

Cheers

Dec 6, 2011 at 11:32 AM Post #422 of 3,573

Quote:
So, you're of the opinion that the DAC in the E1 is superior to the one in the STX? I'm curious because I have a STX and I'm wondering if the E1 is a worthwhile upgrade, ie. worthy of $300 or if I should get it at the expense of something else in my decidedly mid-fi setup. Hope what I'm asking makes sense. I guess I should wait for a proper review but in the meantime any feedback in this regard would be highly appreciated.

Cheers

Yea, through both my speakers and my headphones the E1 sounds better to me. It's not a massive difference though, it's quite subtle.

In my opinion a straight upgrade isn't worth it. For me, the difference in quality doesn't warrant the extra cost. However, I was looking for an external DAC to replace my STX for other reasons, so overall I'm happy with the purchase. It would have been interesting to hear other external DACs out there, but I didn't have access to any; so that's why I just went straight for the E1.

I also have no idea if there will be a burn in for the DAC at all, it would be nice if there was but I'm skeptical.

Dec 6, 2011 at 11:40 AM Post #423 of 3,573
Thanks for that. If the dac in the E1 is only marginally better than the one in my stx then I think I'll just upgrade my amp or my cans maybe even roll some opamps while I wait for a comparison review.

Cheers

Dec 6, 2011 at 12:23 PM Post #424 of 3,573

Quote:
Thanks for that. If the dac in the E1 is only marginally better than the one in my stx then I think I'll just upgrade my amp or my cans maybe even roll some opamps while I wait for a comparison review.

Cheers

I would suggest waiting until you can hear the unit for yourself then you can decide based on your own ears.
You can get great results rolling opamps, atleast you can tune the card more to your personal taste.

Dec 6, 2011 at 12:40 PM Post #425 of 3,573

Quote:
I would suggest waiting until you can hear the unit for yourself then you can decide based on your own ears.

Yea, always better to demo yourself if you can.

I've been listening to the E1 all day now (Through speakers) and really enjoying the sound. Shame I've moved the PC to the other room as I'd quite like to compare it to the STX again! Oh well.

Anyone else had similar experiences of sound quality being exactly the same through speakers from TV -> E1 -> Amp and TV -> Amp? 

Dec 6, 2011 at 8:52 PM Post #426 of 3,573

Quote:
I received my Essence One the other day and didn't have much of chance to listen to it.  It took me a while to get everything setup.  My version came with power cables that were not compatible with US power outlets.  I was fortunate I had a brand new power cable laying around the house and didn't have to go to the store to get one. ....

Did u place your order in the U.S.A? My friend in UK bought Xonar Essence One with the power cord for UK while mine bought in America is with USA power cable. FYI~ 

Dec 7, 2011 at 1:02 PM Post #429 of 3,573
Since more people have bought and tried E1, I'm asking this question again - if you have attached both speakers and a headphone (via the built in amp) to it, can you use them both interchangeably simply by turning the volume knob all the way down? For example, turn down headphone volume and use speakers (headphones are then silent), and to switch back to using headphones, simply turn down speaker volume knob and turn up the headphone one up (speakers remain powered on). Does it work that way with the E1 and its dual volume knobs?

Dec 7, 2011 at 2:10 PM Post #430 of 3,573

Quote:
Since more people have bought and tried E1, I'm asking this question again - if you have attached both speakers and a headphone (via the built in amp) to it, can you use them both interchangeably simply by turning the volume knob all the way down? For example, turn down headphone volume and use speakers (headphones are then silent), and to switch back to using headphones, simply turn down speaker volume knob and turn up the headphone one up (speakers remain powered on). Does it work that way with the E1 and its dual volume knobs?

Yes, both outputs play at the same time. I've been listening to music through my loudspeakers and breaking in my HD650's at the same time. Also, the headphone AMP on the E1 is pretty powerful. It drives my 300 ohm HD650's at normal volume levels at less than 1/4 volume knob level. 

Dec 7, 2011 at 4:32 PM Post #431 of 3,573
Thanks! But I assume that if you want to use only your headphones, you can just turn down the volume (via E1's knob) of the speakers and they will be dead silent, right? For example, my current amp outputs sound even if the volume knob is turned down to the lowest setting.

Dec 7, 2011 at 8:55 PM Post #432 of 3,573
Ok, this is probably a dumb question:
I have a PC with optical output. Would it sound better with E1 through optical-in or USB?

I was thinking of using optical because optical seems to have better transfer rate, but everyone seems to be using USB. I am confused...

Another dumb question:
If I use optical, do I still need to go through those updates?

Dec 7, 2011 at 9:40 PM Post #433 of 3,573

Quote:
No one try the E1 with a 600 ohm phone? wondering if this can drive the T1

Short answer - yes it can.

Long answer
I paid a visit to addicted to audio today to audition the t1's and hd800's.  I took the EssenceOne with me for comparison. It was able to drive both with ease - I found a little past a quarter volume was sufficient for the hd800, and a little under a quarter for the T1.

Comparison was done between a Violectric amp/dac combo and a Sugden class A headphone amp fed the essence one dac output through the xlr connectors, and the essence on its own. Source used was a Luxman cd player using toslink.

Violectric combo
I found this to have slightly more detail, with no real difference in soundstage or clarity. I would not pay the extra for this over the essence one.

Sugden amp/essence dac
This was definitely a step up from the amp in the essence one. Better separation of instruments, wider soundstage, more detailed.  That said I would expect it to be considering the Sugden is about 2900aud.

Essence One
This had slightly dark presentation compared to the others.  I enjoyed it with the hd800's, but I found the T1's a little shrill.  The essence definitely isn't the last word in micro detail.

Dec 7, 2011 at 10:08 PM Post #434 of 3,573
So I've indeed compared the One to a ST with good opamps on a pimped Fostex T50RP:

It's a clear knock out!
xtress.gif

The ST sounds like a PC internal board in comparison, and no opamp in the world will be magical enough to make it compete with a serious external DAC....the noisy high ripple switching-mode computer PSU prolly has a lot to do w/ this. Clearly, there's no way back from the One to the ST...as usual with audio, there's always something better sounding out there and once you will have heard it you *will* be spoiled
very_evil_smiley.gif

Don't get too hung up on those SNR/IMD/THD+N measurements being better on the ST/STX, because as an engineer recently told me:
Measured data is valuable, but by no means the most important thing in building high end audio gear. It is very, very easy to build a unit from a handful of chips (opamps) that performs very well on the meter, but sounds awful. Feedback circuits were invented because of their ability to correct for everything – by this it is easy to achieve 0.0005% THD figures. Music is not pure sine waves, not even a sum of two (intermodulation).

It's a well know fact that specs won't tell you how a piece of equipment will sound to you: http://www.gearslutz.com/board/4432704-post5.html
there were many scientific researches that proved that all variations of IMD, THD, THD+N tests, and all other specific tests can't be used to say how well the sound is reproduced in terms of subconscious human perceptions. And there still are some stubborn engineers and scientists who won't see any evidences.

All this said, there are a few things I really enjoy on the One:

-the fact that the coax input inserts silence instead of glitches when switching sample rates, I couldn't bear those S/PDIF glitches anymore..whatever DIR9001 or CS841x glitch like hell when switching sample rates. They need to resync, and that hurts my ears.

So that makes the coax input a truely viable option, and the nice thing about coax is that you get galvanic isolation from the get go...which is impossible w/ hi-speed USB except if you're willing to spend a grand on optical isolation(that will introduce jitter of course).

-it remembers what input was last used when you turn it back on, most DAC's become amnesic when you shut them down IME

-the SS is really really 3D and mind blowing! Too bad the One is based on 5532's and 4562's and that these opamps are really not analytic enough to my taste. My friend already ordered these, I will update my impressions: http://www.ebay.com/itm/mod-10x-AD797BR-Dual-Mono-Op-amp-module-up-NE5532-/350485764109

Asus clearly went as "discrete" as you can get w/ opamps through a fully dual mono design, and instead of doubling the price due to using higher end opamps, they've decided to put entry level chips so the OCD'ed audiophiles can go nuts searching for the killer combination until the end of the days. The One is clearly a roller's dream come true.

Also, the manual states that there are 4 screws to service the unit, but there are actually two more at the back in the middle. It would have saved me some frustation to have it clearly stated in the manual.

Dec 7, 2011 at 11:26 PM Post #435 of 3,573
I just got mine setup today - I'm using my old Sennheiser HD 280's with it and it sounds great (relatively speaking), I have a pair of HD 650's that should be here Friday or Monday (let's hope Friday :) and I can't wait to break them in on it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back