Asus Essence One Headphone Amp/DAC (CeBIT 2011)
Sep 22, 2011 at 12:23 PM Post #211 of 3,573
Still no ETA on this thing? A friend of mine is dying to buy it, and I'm dying to try zillions opamps combinations too
popcorn.gif

Sep 22, 2011 at 5:09 PM Post #212 of 3,573

Quote:
I wonder why they didn't use the PCM1792, which is the top chip of the TI DAC line, after all they used it in the Essence STX which has slightly better specs by the way.

It would have made sense, at least in order to not have a confusing product line up, to design the Essence One to have better specs than the Essence STX.

PCM 1795 is 32 bit, which is awesome because 32 is a larger number than 24 and the difference is largerer than the 3-6 dB bump in the 120+ SNR spec
cool.gif

Speaking of more is better, I did try the OPA627BP (2x BrownDog'ed) over the stock opamps in the Claro Halo. There was no improvement to be heard.

Sep 22, 2011 at 11:26 PM Post #213 of 3,573
PCM 1795 is 32 bit, which is awesome because 32 is a larger number than 24 and the difference is largerer than the 3-6 dB bump in the 120+ SNR spec
cool.gif

Speaking of more is better, I did try the OPA627BP (2x BrownDog'ed) over the stock opamps in the Claro Halo. There was no improvement to be heard.

You should not that not a single DAC has ever achieved a greater dynamic range than 21 effective bits in practice, 32 bit is marketing hype. I doubt it has a negative impact on the performance of the DAC, but for all purpose, it's useless.

Sep 23, 2011 at 12:19 AM Post #214 of 3,573

Quote:
You should not that not a single DAC has ever achieved a greater dynamic range than 21 effective bits in practice, 32 bit is marketing hype. I doubt it has a negative impact on the performance of the DAC, but for all purpose, it's useless.

Shun the unbeliever! Shuuuun!

Sep 23, 2011 at 8:30 AM Post #216 of 3,573

khaos974 said:
32 bit is marketing hype. I doubt it has a negative impact on the performance of the DAC, but for all purpose, it's useless.

It has a purpose: making money.
If Asahi Kasei makes a 32-bit DAC chip and when it's actually used, TI better makes its own 32-bit chip.

I haven't seen anybody complaining that the Essence One would have been cheaper if it used PCM1796 DACs.
(According to TI's price quotes, the difference between a PCM1796 and a PCM1795 is $1.
tongue.gif
)

Sep 24, 2011 at 3:58 AM Post #219 of 3,573
The funds are secure but the decision is not made.  I am not sure whether to pull the trigger on this piece of kit now, on pre-order, or go out and buy the TEAC UD-H01.  The list price for both is just under £300 and I have been weighing this decision up for some time and cant make my mind up.  At the moment the decision is not critical as I have a fiio device to power my cans in the short term, but I am looking to invest in some KRK monitors in the future.

Any advice from the technical guru's on which looks better value on paper.  I am a relative noob when it comes to DAC's and I am not likely to ever be able to do an A/B comparison of the 2 units.  This leaves the daunting situation of buying on spec and recommendation, and with both units being relatively new to market, making that decsion is even more difficult.

Sep 24, 2011 at 6:55 PM Post #220 of 3,573
How come the  Europeans get every thing first. The Asus Xonar essence one is already on sale in Germany and we here in the U.S . haven't even got a ETA on this thing yet. I've got the xonar essence ST with the X6 expansion card one of my boxes  but I had to send all  the way to England to get the X6 because it's not available  in the U.S.at all. I beginning to feel like a second class citizen or something. What gives with everything going somewhere else first before it gets to  the land of the free?

Sep 24, 2011 at 7:11 PM Post #221 of 3,573

Quote:
How come the  Europeans get every thing first. The Asus Xonar essence one is already on sale in Germany and we here in the U.S . haven't even got a ETA on this thing yet. I've got the xonar essence ST with the X6 expansion card one of my boxes  but I had to send all  the way to England to get the X6 because it's not available  in the U.S.at all. I beginning to feel like a second class citizen or something. What gives with everything going somewhere else first before it gets to  the land of the free?

Maybe because Europe is a larger and more important market than US?   (750 vs 320 million people)
There isnt a single reason why it should be on market in US before Europe. Unless you're joking, you're such a stereotype, thinking that US in the center of the world.  
deadhorse.gif

Sep 25, 2011 at 6:29 AM Post #222 of 3,573
Both ResierFs and myself have not got the option to actually BUY this unit, just preorder through ASUS suppliers, hence my reply, misquoting me is always going to get a response.  I am sure if you wanted to source this in the US you could do the same, have you treid contacting ASUS directly and asking them.  Complaining about others getting this first is a little rediculous considering you have PLENTY of local manufacturers such as iBasso or even Grado  that you can purchase equipment from without having to wait 2 months for shipping let alone the additional postage and import costs involved.  I would also assume that the actual purchase cost will be lower when you finally do have it available as the US is generally 15-20% cheaper for electrical goods, even outside audio equipment.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back