Asus Essence One Headphone Amp/DAC (CeBIT 2011)
Jan 21, 2015 at 6:02 PM Post #3,106 of 3,573
  Hi Mach3

Can you please comment on AMP quality/differences between E1 and Phonitor.
I am asking because I am thinking on getting amp for my LCD-X but not sure if it is worth or to say so: if it will make  big improvement over E1 AMP.
Amps in my consideration are like of SPL Phonitor, Violectric V200/V181/V281.

Thanks

from yesterday impression, I feel the E1 even with the MUSES01 in the buffer section. The mids sound a bit more forward than the phonitor (giving the impression that the sound stage is more narrow but it isn't) I'm not imply that the mids aren't clear or accurate on the E1 just different. I would say I prefer neutral tonality of the phonitor more. Was much harder to tell when I dropped the hi-gain to low-gain with the header jumper caps. And the more forward vocals were even less pronounce when I tried my HD800 (In high gain). In regards to the Violectric, my friend sold his V200 because he told me that amp make every headphone he own sounded warmer. His opinion that it really only matched well with the HD800 (he did note you lose some slight micro details due to the warmer sound). This pretty much is the generally view with most reviews I've seen.
So if you like warmer sound, pick the V200/281 (both of these very simliar sounding, just the V281 has more grunt and balance output)

Jan 22, 2015 at 5:45 PM Post #3,107 of 3,573
Hi,

maybe the Muses-02 make a difference here or did you try that already? Right now I am in the situation that I need to decide between the ASUS Essence One MKII Muses and an Oppo HA-1. However in the meanwhile I really got the feeling that the Oppo has the better soundstage, which is much more clear, but still with a kicking bass. Still I am struggling a little bit, since the E1 has also a good build quality, an extra volume knob for the headphone output and of course the lower price (even if exchanging the Muses-01 with the Muses-02 with the DSD kits would bring it closer to the Oppo pricing).

Jan 22, 2015 at 11:36 PM Post #3,108 of 3,573
  Hi,

maybe the Muses-02 make a difference here or did you try that already? Right now I am in the situation that I need to decide between the ASUS Essence One MKII Muses and an Oppo HA-1. However in the meanwhile I really got the feeling that the Oppo has the better soundstage, which is much more clear, but still with a kicking bass. Still I am struggling a little bit, since the E1 has also a good build quality, an extra volume knob for the headphone output and of course the lower price (even if exchanging the Muses-01 with the Muses-02 with the DSD kits would bring it closer to the Oppo pricing).

Yeah I've already tried that in the headphone amp (buffer) section. I prefer the MUSES01, IMO I prefer it over the stock LME49720HA too.

You don't need the DSD kit if you already own the MKII E1 as it already got the DSD eeprom. Cheaper to just buy the 2x MUSES02 and try it for yourself. Also if you're using the E1 as a DAC only, than you should also populate 3A) RCA Buffer = 1 x LM4562NA or 3B) XLR Buffer = 2 x LM4562NA with MUSES01 depending which output you use.

Jan 23, 2015 at 2:03 AM Post #3,109 of 3,573
Anyone know where I can find the A10K potentiometer that will work with this?

Jan 23, 2015 at 4:28 AM Post #3,110 of 3,573
Would any A10K volume pot work as a replacement for B10K? or are there different ones?
My headphone volume pot makes static noise, crackles really loud when i turn it till 12'o clock. I'm thinking of desoldering it and putting a new one in... either A10K, or swap it with the speaker volume pot.

Gloogle is your bet fiend!
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Potentiometer
Newer potentiometers will usually be marked with an 'A' for logarithmic taper or a 'B' for linear taper.

If it only crackles when the pot is rotated, then the taper traces is oxidized/dirty.
Just turn the potmeter few dozen times fast from panning L to R and R to L etc. etc. to clean it traces itself!

Jan 23, 2015 at 4:34 AM Post #3,111 of 3,573
Gloogle is your bet fiend!
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Potentiometer
If it only crackles when the pot is rotated, then the taper traces is oxidized/dirty.
Just turn the potmeter few dozen times fast from panning L to R and R to L etc. etc. to clean it traces itself!

Ahhh, too late, I broke it. I had to tinker with it didn't I?
frown.gif
Well, that's how you learn.

Well, at first the crackling would go away if i turned it a few times back and forth, but over time it got worse and it wouldn't go away.

But anyways, now I tried to open the thing out. I tried to take out the volume knob by turning them, but I turned them too far counterclockwise and now they're loose (not hard stopping), and the volume isn't working anymore. I suppose its broken now?
So I'll have to get these replaced, just gotta find the right ones from online.

Jan 23, 2015 at 4:46 AM Post #3,112 of 3,573
Ahhh, too late, I broke it. I had to tinker with it didn't I? :frowning2: Well, that's how you learn.

Well, at first the crackling would go away if i turned it a few times back and forth, but over time it got worse and it wouldn't go away.

But anyways, now I tried to open the thing out. I tried to take out the volume knob by turning them, but I turned them too far counterclockwise and now they're loose (not hard stopping), and the volume isn't working anymore. I suppose its broken now?
So I'll have to get these replaced, just gotta find the right ones from online.

They are worn out anyway, get a better audiotype potmeter for better sound.

Jan 23, 2015 at 6:18 PM Post #3,113 of 3,573
Jan 24, 2015 at 9:37 AM Post #3,114 of 3,573
Jan 24, 2015 at 8:50 PM Post #3,116 of 3,573

Yeah I've already tried that in the headphone amp (buffer) section. I prefer the MUSES01, IMO I prefer it over the stock LME49720HA too.

You don't need the DSD kit if you already own the MKII E1 as it already got the DSD eeprom. Cheaper to just buy the 2x MUSES02 and try it for yourself. Also if you're using the E1 as a DAC only, than you should also populate 3A) RCA Buffer = 1 x LM4562NA or 3B) XLR Buffer = 2 x LM4562NA with MUSES01 depending which output you use.

All this talk makes me want to go out and buy another E1, I miss experimenting with different opamps
tongue_smile.gif

Quote:
  As Asus E1 has really bright LED around power switch I came to easy solution; simple rubber gasket around power button, it works perfectly.

Nice one, I always hated that led
beerchug.gif

Jan 27, 2015 at 1:28 AM Post #3,117 of 3,573
Great news for people who own the old E1 without the gain switch.
I spend the whole afternoon comparing the difference between the MUSES Edition and the standard E1 PCB track. 
Turns out it possible to implement the same feature on the old E1 for low gain with a tiny circuit to feed the audio signal through to a 24.9k Ohm resistor.
I'll try and figure out a way to securely mount it on the PCB before posting picture.

Jan 27, 2015 at 12:41 PM Post #3,118 of 3,573
  Will this one work as a replacement? http://www.ebay.com/itm/2-x-12mm-Alpha-A10K-10K-Audio-Taper-Potentiometer-4-Gang-15mm-Shaft-/261667615876
I hope the pin pitch is right. If so, then I just have to modify it a bit to get the knob fit to the shaft.

As far as I know the original potentiometer is the alpha rd904 b10k. It has a 6mm shaft. You can buy these here for example: http://www.aliexpress.com/item/ALPHA-RD904-B10K-quadruple-potentiometer-20-mm-half-axial-length/1482759719.html

Jan 27, 2015 at 5:43 PM Post #3,119 of 3,573
Just received the MUSES opamps in mail. Now I wait for the potentiometers... another 2 - 3 weeks.. maybe more.
This sucks, can't even test them out since the volume doesn't work lol

Jan 28, 2015 at 10:54 AM Post #3,120 of 3,573
Does anyone know how to remove the front panel from the Xonar One? I've removed all visible screws but cannot get it off of the volume knobs.

The main reason I need to remove it is to see if I can reseat the volume knobs after turning them too much. They now just turn over and over without stopping (and are left at MAX volume always)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back