Asus Essence One Headphone Amp/DAC (CeBIT 2011)
Nov 19, 2013 at 11:14 PM Post #2,761 of 3,573
  I've left mine on for a week plus before. Just warm to touch (You can leave your hand on the unit and you won't feel any discomfort)

Same here, mine doesn't get that hot at all

I see, well mine would have got uncomfortable. I'm guessing it's because I had it turned up to almost max, the source audio was SUPER quiet.

Nov 19, 2013 at 11:28 PM Post #2,762 of 3,573

I see, well mine would have got uncomfortable. I'm guessing it's because I had it turned up to almost max, the source audio was SUPER quiet.

Did you try and hook it up straight into speakers? If that's the case I suggest you hook it into an amp and then the speaker! :)

I don't think the E1 has enough wattage to drive speakers

Nov 19, 2013 at 11:47 PM Post #2,763 of 3,573

Did you try and hook it up straight into speakers? If that's the case I suggest you hook it into an amp and then the speaker! :)

I don't think the E1 has enough wattage to drive speakers

It feeds a signal in to some powered monitors which I keep on fairly low volume, otherwise I get very little room to adjust volume (via the E1) with my music. Between silent and fairly loud is definitely not more than say 60 degrees of volume knob rotation.

That said, it's 24bit so there's probably not harm in turning the volume down via software to get more flexibility via the E1 volume knob.

Nov 20, 2013 at 5:07 PM Post #2,764 of 3,573

I've heard - probably somewhere on this thread - that the E1 will get hot if you use USB. I do, and mine gets pretty hot.

I'd be surprised to hear if it had anything to do with volume but I'm no expert.

Nov 20, 2013 at 8:50 PM Post #2,765 of 3,573

It feeds a signal in to some powered monitors which I keep on fairly low volume, otherwise I get very little room to adjust volume (via the E1) with my music. Between silent and fairly loud is definitely not more than say 60 degrees of volume knob rotation.

That said, it's 24bit so there's probably not harm in turning the volume down via software to get more flexibility via the E1 volume knob.

Are you using stock opamps in your E1?
Because certain opamp like the LME 49860 or AD797BR causes oscillation and can heat up like crazy.
Possible solution is to bypass pin 4 & 8 with 0.22uf polypropylene capacitor.

Nov 20, 2013 at 9:41 PM Post #2,766 of 3,573

I've heard - probably somewhere on this thread - that the E1 will get hot if you use USB. I do, and mine gets pretty hot.

I'd be surprised to hear if it had anything to do with volume but I'm no expert.

I do use USB. I'd try optical, but don't have a long enough cable at the moment.

Are you using stock opamps in your E1?
Because certain opamp like the LME 49860 or AD797BR causes oscillation and can heat up like crazy.
Possible solution is to bypass pin 4 & 8 with 0.22uf polypropylene capacitor.

I am using stock.

Nov 23, 2013 at 7:37 PM Post #2,767 of 3,573
The E1 should not get hot if you're using it with the stock opamps. I'm running AD797BRs in the I/V and LPF stages with OP627BMs in the headphone buffer. Mine gets warm, but I also installed a vent fan. In addition I have an E1 from the first production run with the "unbalanced" volume pot, however mine is only unbalanced at the first two volume increments.

Nov 23, 2013 at 7:55 PM Post #2,768 of 3,573
  The E1 should not get hot if you're using it with the stock opamps. I'm running AD797BRs in the I/V and LPF stages with OP627BMs in the headphone buffer. Mine gets warm, but I also installed a vent fan. In addition I have an E1 from the first production run with the "unbalanced" volume pot, however mine is only unbalanced at the first two volume increments.

This makes me worry a little bit. Because mine definitely heats up...

Also, I believe the ASUS rep in this thread said the E1 has been unchanged since production? the volume pot hasn't been changed in the stock edition, only in the MUSES?

Nov 23, 2013 at 10:04 PM Post #2,769 of 3,573
  This makes me worry a little bit. Because mine definitely heats up...

Also, I believe the ASUS rep in this thread said the E1 has been unchanged since production? the volume pot hasn't been changed in the stock edition, only in the MUSES?

Stop worrying mate, just enjoy it.....

Some op-amp combos I've used got extremely hot without any probs

Nov 23, 2013 at 10:45 PM Post #2,770 of 3,573
that right,It's going to be a crap wallwart anyway.  Would be good to replace it with a Sigma11 PSU or something.thanks
3NnmYM

Nov 27, 2013 at 7:27 PM Post #2,772 of 3,573
I'm planing to pick up a second e1 today for 250.

I have 2 questions and hopefully you guys can give me some of your opinions:

1. Do you reckon the ODAC or schiit Modi will perform against the E1? (Btw, I'll be using it for my speakers)

2. Will changing op amps change the sound of I'm using the RCA out to my speaker amp? If yes, which sections should I upgrade (to the muses01)

Cheers guys

Nov 27, 2013 at 7:41 PM Post #2,773 of 3,573
I'm planing to pick up a second e1 today for 250.

I have 2 questions and hopefully you guys can give me some of your opinions:

1. Do you reckon the ODAC or schiit Modi will perform against the E1? (Btw, I'll be using it for my speakers)

2. Will changing op amps change the sound of I'm using the RCA out to my speaker amp? If yes, which sections should I upgrade (to the muses01)

Cheers guys

Are your speakers self amplified and do they have an easy to reach volume control? I was going to get the ODAC, but realized I needed a DAC with a volume knob. The knob on my monitors is at the back making it rather inaccessible from where I'm sitting/listening.

Nov 27, 2013 at 7:57 PM Post #2,774 of 3,573
Mine are hifi speakers so none powered. I will be connecting to t my tube amp. So i can the volume on the amp no problems :wink:

I was going to wait for the e3 but it looks like that will be very expensive for me atm. I have heard from a friend that the ODAC sounds very good and the Modi seems to have good reviews here.

Another option was the Musiland Monitor 02 US Dragon which is only about 140 and supports up to 32 bits/ 384 KHz. I'm not too sure if the higher bit rate will actually make the sound better though

Nov 27, 2013 at 10:47 PM Post #2,775 of 3,573
Mine are hifi speakers so none powered. I will be connecting to t my tube amp. So i can the volume on the amp no problems
wink.gif

I was going to wait for the e3 but it looks like that will be very expensive for me atm. I have heard from a friend that the ODAC sounds very good and the Modi seems to have good reviews here.

Another option was the Musiland Monitor 02 US Dragon which is only about 140 and supports up to 32 bits/ 384 KHz. I'm not too sure if the higher bit rate will actually make the sound better though

In that case, I would just get the ODAC and rest assured knowing it measures well and everyone seems to think it's a good DAC at a good price. I wouldn't get too caught up with bit depth and sample rates. But I'm fairly pragmatic when it comes to these things and I value objectivity over subjective reviews.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back