Asus Essence One Headphone Amp/DAC (CeBIT 2011)
Apr 19, 2013 at 1:32 PM Post #1,996 of 3,573
Quote:
Glad you liked it! I've polished it a bit and used it to write my first formal head-fi review, so it won't get lost in this big thread: http://www.head-fi.org/products/asus-xonar-essence-one-muses-edition/reviews/8824

I've always been a big fan of your tune, ever since it got released.....I've even listened to it hundred more times than I would be willing to admit, hah.

And yeah, without you this review would have never been made possible so thanks again for all the logistical help 
tongue.gif

​

Awwww thank you leeperry! - I'm melting right now... :*D

By the way, your review just got highlighted by Asus http://www.facebook.com/xonar.asus?hc_location=stream
Congrats mate :)

Apr 20, 2013 at 10:24 AM Post #1,997 of 3,573
Quote:
Glad you liked it! I've polished it a bit and used it to write my first formal head-fi review, so it won't get lost in this big thread: http://www.head-fi.org/products/asus-xonar-essence-one-muses-edition/reviews/8824

I've always been a big fan of your tune, ever since it got released.....I've even listened to it hundred more times than I would be willing to admit, hah.

And yeah, without you this review would have never been made possible so thanks again for all the logistical help 
tongue.gif

​
 ​

Great review, I have also upgraded my current Essence Once with the Muses01 op-amps and I'm loving the sound coming out of them. Definitely a big improvement over the original NE-5534 op-amps. 

Apr 20, 2013 at 6:29 PM Post #1,998 of 3,573
Great review.  Asus Xonar Essence One Muses is amazing.  I still get awed by how good it sounds.  I'm surprised it's not as popular on headfi or at least it doesn't seem like many members own it here.

I've never heard music presented so realistically as the Muses does it.  The instrument separation is amazing, you can just hear every detail in a very musical way.  Everything just has a 3D sound to it.  I don't know how much better a DAC can get.

For the people that think Asus is just another company that makes computer motherboards, etc.  They need to give the Muses a trial.  It's an amazing DAC.

Apr 20, 2013 at 9:13 PM Post #1,999 of 3,573
Quote:

For the people that think Asus is just another company that makes computer motherboards, etc.  They need to give the Muses a trial.  It's an amazing DAC.

+1

Cannot agree more!

Apr 21, 2013 at 3:16 AM Post #2,000 of 3,573
You're right, I've polished the discussion on SS and jitter in my review a bit as review websites usually compare it to much cheaper gear.......the DP1 is the current benchmark on several aspects in many ppl's opinions(including mine) so I had to make things a bit clearer 
normal_smile .gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by dynamics /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I don't know how much better a DAC can get.

There's always something "better" sounding out there but the law of diminishing returns quickly kicks in. The nasty flip side of the coin is that once you've heard better, downgrading hurts (a lot) 
ph34r.gif

I know some people who have heard the 10K€ TOTALDAC in an even pricier surrounding rig and to them everything else sounds like a Realtek now, hah!

Apr 22, 2013 at 10:30 PM Post #2,003 of 3,573
Apr 23, 2013 at 12:20 AM Post #2,004 of 3,573
I received my new Muses Edition with fixed gain jumper.  It sounds amazing!  It is much better than the one with the high gain.

And there is no more channel imbalance issue on the speakers side either :O.  I don't know what ASUS did, but the sounds is perfectly balanced on all channels now.  Speaker side and headphone side are running amazing with zero issues whatsoever.  The bass seems to be fuller and punchier too.  It is possible I may have received a defective unit on my first one or that batch the quality control wasn't as good or something.

But whatever issues the Muses may have had ASUS has fixed them.  My search for the perfect DAC is over.  This is perfection and running as it should.

The only thing I might upgrade in the future is the speakers.  But as far as DACs I don't  see anything anytime soon coming that will tempt me to buy it.  I'm in love with the MUSES all over again.

Thank you ASUS.

Apr 23, 2013 at 3:20 AM Post #2,005 of 3,573
Quote:
I received my new Muses Edition with fixed gain jumper.  It sounds amazing!  It is much better than the one with the high gain.

And there is no more channel imbalance issue on the speakers side either :O.  I don't know what ASUS did, but the sounds is perfectly balanced on all channels now.  Speaker side and headphone side are running amazing with zero issues whatsoever.  The bass seems to be fuller and punchier too.  It is possible I may have received a defective unit on my first one or that batch the quality control wasn't as good or something.

But whatever issues the Muses may have had ASUS has fixed them.  My search for the perfect DAC is over.  This is perfection and running as it should.

The only thing I might upgrade in the future is the speakers.  But as far as DACs I don't  see anything anytime soon coming that will tempt me to buy it.  I'm in love with the MUSES all over again.

Thank you ASUS.

Very cool dynamics, you and leeperry both have no issues with imbalance with the newer unit. Food for thought I think I'm going to contact Asus Australia and see what they can do, even though I have the standard edition, can't hurt, got nothing to lose

Apr 23, 2013 at 6:59 AM Post #2,007 of 3,573
Quote:

Thank you ASUS.

Glad to know you are enjoying your new E1 MUSES and not having any more issus with the device itself.
I can imagine both the Denon AH D7000 and the MUSES pair very well together.
wink.gif

Apr 24, 2013 at 7:05 AM Post #2,009 of 3,573
Quote:

Glad to know you are enjoying your new E1 MUSES and not having any more issus with the device itself.
I can imagine both the Denon AH D7000 and the MUSES pair very well together.
wink.gif

I'm loving it and yes the Denon AH D7000 pairs very well with the MUSES.  It is a very good combo and work great together.

I'm pretty sure I had a defective unit and I'm glad I ended up replacing it with one directly from Asus, cause even the presentation is much better on the new unit with bass a lot more pronounced and lush/smooth sound.  Nevertheless, I'm extremely happy with it and resembles a product that's worth $899 price tag or at least it is to my ears.

Apr 27, 2013 at 11:51 AM Post #2,010 of 3,573
Dinny FitzPatrick @ Innerfidelity
Asus Xonar Essence One Muses Edition or Why Actually Listening to Gear is Important: http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/asus-xonar-essence-one-muses-edition-or-why-actually-listening-gear-important

Can't say I follow him on much of that stuff, but I have not heard the MUSES opamps.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back