Asus eeePC as audio player?
Dec 1, 2007 at 6:58 PM Post #47 of 94
Quote:

Originally Posted by Caribou679 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Can't tell from the picture if on the Trends USB the headphone jack is for
1/4" or 1/8" plug.

Also how is the headphone amp?

regards,

It is a 1/8" jack and they include an adapter with 2xRCA outputs. I honestly didn't spend much time with the analog output since I am using it as a transport for my Lavry DA-10. As a transport, the Trends is hard to beat, especially at its price. The headphone output is just a bonus should I ever need it.

TNT Audio did a review of the Trends DAC a year ago and came away pretty impressed with its analog output here. There is also an old thread somewhere on head-fi if you do a search.

Dec 2, 2007 at 7:28 PM Post #48 of 94
Don't you think in the spirit of this rig, it is just begging for a TBAAM? A real giant killer.

Dec 3, 2007 at 4:50 PM Post #49 of 94
An 8GB storage and 1GB RAM model has been announced. Yep, it's set at 499 USD.

While I still think that these little things fill a great niche, and I'd love to have XP running on one for light ultra-portable work, $500 is just a bit too high for only 8GB of storage.

The first company to offer something this size (or just a slight bit larger...10" screen maybe) with a high-quality screen and a solid state hard drive at an affordable price gets my money. Mac, PC, I don't care. The way solid state drives are dropping in price, it might happen next year. 64GB is fine, I can use an external drive when I need big storage. I don't need 250GB in a notebook, though I do need a little more than 8, particularly when 4-5GB is used for the OS.

Dec 3, 2007 at 5:18 PM Post #50 of 94
After using nLite there is no way an XP install should be 4-5 gigs. Also, 64gb flash at reasonable prices by next year? Keep dreaming. It's also incredibly easy to add to storage for the eee via SDHC.

Dec 11, 2007 at 9:56 PM Post #51 of 94
Quote:

Originally Posted by johnas /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I bought one a few weeks ago. I have used the headphone jack briefly and it is passable.

Passable? I'm going to have to disagree. May I ask what kind of headphones you were using? Full sized cans or IEMs?

On my end, I paired my eee pc up with my shure 530s straight out of the headphone port and it turned out surprisingly well. I can definitely say that the play quality bests my iPod touch by a significant margin and I'll even say that it is on par (if not better) than my trekstor Vibez.

by the way, all of my rips are V0 and played off of an 8gb SDHC card. The music I used as a standard for my A B comparisons were the albums "10,000 days" by Tool, "Timbaland Presents Shock Value," and "The Village Sessions" an acoustic release by John Mayer.

of course all of the above is simply my opinion, you may find it to differ largely from your own thoughts
biggrin.gif

Dec 11, 2007 at 11:20 PM Post #52 of 94
Quote:

Originally Posted by cebseb /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Passable? I'm going to have to disagree. May I ask what kind of headphones you were using? Full sized cans or IEMs?

On my end, I paired my eee pc up with my shure 530s straight out of the headphone port and it turned out surprisingly well. I can definitely say that the play quality bests my iPod touch by a significant margin and I'll even say that it is on par (if not better) than my trekstor Vibez.

Around here something like a Vibez is considered just passable.

Dec 12, 2007 at 2:17 AM Post #53 of 94
Quote:

Originally Posted by regal /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I'm assuming that when you say "around here" you mean the "computers as source" forum... correct? If so, then I would agree with you, but I hardly doubt the vibez can be referred to as "passable" when taken into account the fact that it is a DAP that needs no other components (e.g. external usb sound cards, amps, etc.) to produce the type of sound quality that has been often compared to the legendary Rio Karma.

Dec 12, 2007 at 3:26 AM Post #54 of 94
Quote:

Originally Posted by regal /img/forum/go_quote.gif

per the review at anythingbutipod.com the Vibez is nothing cheap! It's one of the contender for best player! If you do not own one, you might need to check your sources...

Dec 15, 2007 at 9:29 PM Post #55 of 94
I have received the Asus eeepc 2 days go and just want to report on a few points about music accessibility.

I am running the eee on the Linux Xandros stock OS, ( I am anewbie with Linux), This is the basic desktop.

It plays all type of music I presented to it w/out any problem: Flac, Ogg, MP3, Wma.

It accesses a external hd of 160 gig through the USB 2.0 and no problem of compatibility. The hd was used/filled previously on a XP system. HD size is about the size of a pack of gum. (I should take + post pictures soon)

I am currently writing this with music playing, and the music only skips a little when I change page with the browser Firefox.

The eee recognized my Cowon X5 and Sansa e200 music/files with read and write. The Cowon U2 was only recognized but no files were accessible?? For the ipod video when I connected it it opened a program to do something but I stopped it. I believe it wanted to "mount" it or something...

2 speakers are on the side of the screen and, not being audiophile standard, they play very well. Hedphone jack is also available.

It does not recognize my USB DAC( I have a very simple/basic version of a DAC, It's a USB with a DAC chip that connects to an headphone amp)
Anyway it does not recognized it yet!

Many are flushing Linux and installing XP instead. With XP Foobar should be runnable...

It's a very fun machine and I am very glad and satisfied of it. It will fill my needs on the road for portability and efficiency. I think this is a serious contender for the "smallest hi-fi music portability pc system..."

regards

Dec 27, 2007 at 1:30 AM Post #56 of 94
Quick question, do you guys think the stock OS will recongize a Pico or Predator? Also, I understand Amarok plays FLAC, but how about MP4? And can you guys confirm the rated 3.5hrs battery time out of the 4G? Thanks!

Dec 27, 2007 at 3:19 AM Post #57 of 94
Hi!
I am using the original OS and, with the gracious help of a Head-Fi member, I could confirm that the OS recognize/detected the USB DAC 16 bits I use and also to configure Amarock to use it as output.

What is mp4, is that the ipod format?

I get around 2.5-3 hours of battery life, depending on what I am doing.

regards,

Dec 27, 2007 at 4:00 AM Post #58 of 94
Yea, MP4 is Apple Lossless...I guess the audio format won't be a problem, as I can just convert my MP4 to FLAC...but I kinda want to know if it will detect the Predator
frown.gif

How did you make the OS detect your 16bit DAC?

Dec 27, 2007 at 4:39 AM Post #59 of 94
Quote:

Originally Posted by Pokato /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yea, MP4 is Apple Lossless...I guess the audio format won't be a problem, as I can just convert my MP4 to FLAC...but I kinda want to know if it will detect the Predator
frown.gif

How did you make the OS detect your 16bit DAC?

as regard the dac, here's an exerpt from a PM I received and which I followed:
First part:
"if you want to get the DAC working do the following: Turn on the Eee without the DAC plugged in. Login and open a Terminal window (Ctrl-Alt-T). Plug in the DAC and immediately type 'dmesg' at the command prompt. You will see a bunch of text scroll by, but you're only interested in the last few lines. You should see some info about a USB device being plugged in and registration of the snd-usb-audio driver. If you see that driver being loaded, you're in great shape! If not, copy and paste the last few lines of the 'dmesg' command and I'll take a look. The next step is telling Music Manager to use the right output device... I'll help you with that once we know the driver is loaded."

Second part:
"To configure Amarok: Open Music Manager, select Setting, Configure Music Manager. Choose Engine. Select 'alsa' as the output plugin. Change the values for Mono and Stereo to 'plughw:1,0' without the quotes. This tells Amarok to use the second audio device (the DAC) rather than the internal sound card. This should get the music playing for you."

These steps worked for me!
tongue.gif
( thanks again to a very helpfull Head-fi member!!)
First part was successfull in detecting the DAC. If it had not been successfull I suspect other actions woud have been needed to configure the dac.

I do not have any ALAC /mp4 available now but I will use the dreadfull itunes and convert a cd to apple loosless, copy it to my external HD and try playing it in Amarok, and will let you know.

As regard the EEE recognizing an ipod plugged to it I haae not been succesfull as it needs to mount it and I did not went that route.

hope the above will help you.

The basic Linux OS of the eee recognize my external hd and all the files on it. It plays the music located on it and also movies I converted in .avi. I listened to King Kong, a 1gb converted file and plays it flawlessly. Very impressive for a so small pc. I will use it "on the move" and up to now I am very satisfied. Also it recognized a SDHC of 4gb and one of 8gb no problem.

regards,

Dec 27, 2007 at 6:20 AM Post #60 of 94
Quote:

Originally Posted by Caribou679 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
as regard the dac, here's an exerpt from a PM I received and which I followed:
First part:
"if you want to get the DAC working do the following: Turn on the Eee without the DAC plugged in. Login and open a Terminal window (Ctrl-Alt-T). Plug in the DAC and immediately type 'dmesg' at the command prompt. You will see a bunch of text scroll by, but you're only interested in the last few lines. You should see some info about a USB device being plugged in and registration of the snd-usb-audio driver. If you see that driver being loaded, you're in great shape! If not, copy and paste the last few lines of the 'dmesg' command and I'll take a look. The next step is telling Music Manager to use the right output device... I'll help you with that once we know the driver is loaded."

Second part:
"To configure Amarok: Open Music Manager, select Setting, Configure Music Manager. Choose Engine. Select 'alsa' as the output plugin. Change the values for Mono and Stereo to 'plughw:1,0' without the quotes. This tells Amarok to use the second audio device (the DAC) rather than the internal sound card. This should get the music playing for you."

These steps worked for me!
tongue.gif
( thanks again to a very helpfull Head-fi member!!)
First part was successfull in detecting the DAC. If it had not been successfull I suspect other actions woud have been needed to configure the dac.

I do not have any ALAC /mp4 available now but I will use the dreadfull itunes and convert a cd to apple loosless, copy it to my external HD and try playing it in Amarok, and will let you know.

As regard the EEE recognizing an ipod plugged to it I haae not been succesfull as it needs to mount it and I did not went that route.

hope the above will help you.

The basic Linux OS of the eee recognize my external hd and all the files on it. It plays the music located on it and also movies I converted in .avi. I listened to King Kong, a 1gb converted file and plays it flawlessly. Very impressive for a so small pc. I will use it "on the move" and up to now I am very satisfied. Also it recognized a SDHC of 4gb and one of 8gb no problem.

regards,

Awesome!!! Thanks in advance, I will try it when I got the EEE
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back