Astrotec AX30, AX35 Hybrid IEMs Discussion Thread
Mar 24, 2014 at 1:15 PM Post #64 of 196
Astrotec ax35 is more analytical and brighter than ATHIM50s. ATHIM50s sounds very thick, sounds very laid back and not as engaging. ATHIM50s is good for prolong listening and less distracting when listening to music and working at the same time. 

Astrotec ax35's bass can overwhelm the mid causing it to sound a little at the back of stage. Sony's silicon tip makes the sound a lot clearer and punchy. Comply tip helps a tame the bass and accentuate the mids and the highs.

Mar 24, 2014 at 11:05 PM Post #65 of 196
Worst $60 ever spent (AX30) .. it sounds terrible and does not sound musical at all, no bass (subjective) even though they say that it is the bass version compared to the AX35..

My 2yr old XBA3s blows this out of the water! I don';t think I can even give it away to my friends cause no one'd use it.. lol

Mar 25, 2014 at 8:09 AM Post #67 of 196
That is quite unusual for a model that's being noted to have a decent bass punch line. Perhaps some burn i given that it does comprise of a dynamic driver for the bass. Wonder what actual difference between 30 and 35. As far as I tell it's the cables? Specifications same?

Mar 25, 2014 at 11:14 PM Post #71 of 196
For those that think the AX35 have a little too much bass or not enough clarity, try experimenting with in-line resistance adapters.

Serial resistance will make the overall body sound leaner, but will improve transparency because the amount of time-misaligned overlap between the woofer and tweeter will decrease. The overall sound is more neutral sounding, at the expense of bass texture and control.

I've been using 64 ohms of resistance, but my guess is that ~50 ohms is probably just about right.

Mar 25, 2014 at 11:47 PM Post #72 of 196
Astrotec ax35 is more analytical and brighter than ATHIM50s. ATHIM50s sounds very thick, sounds very laid back and not as engaging. ATHIM50s is good for prolong listening and less distracting when listening to music and working at the same time. 

Astrotec ax35's bass can overwhelm the mid causing it to sound a little at the back of stage. Sony's silicon tip makes the sound a lot clearer and punchy. Comply tip helps a tame the bass and accentuate the mids and the highs.

Need to try the hybrids. Also, I have both and agree with most of your comparison. With my IM50s, the mids are more forward, bass has more mass, and highs take a backseat a bit. As for the AX-35s, the highs are more presented and has more impact, mids are a but back, and bass is precise and tactile. The ATH-IM50s are more enjoyable in my eyes because of a more cohesive and fluid song.

Mar 26, 2014 at 3:44 PM Post #73 of 196
Writing a review on these AX30 right now for russian community. To tell a story short, nothing special about these, too analytical and aggressive for my taste, even using Sony Hybrids. Great built but average ergonomics and cable. I do prefer and recommend VSonic VSD1s , Astrotec AM800, Fischer Audio Giusto over AX30, all these share a more musical signature and better ergonomics.

Mar 27, 2014 at 12:07 PM Post #74 of 196
For those that think the AX35 have a little too much bass or not enough clarity, try experimenting with in-line resistance adapters.

Serial resistance will make the overall body sound leaner, but will improve transparency because the amount of time-misaligned overlap between the woofer and tweeter will decrease. The overall sound is more neutral sounding, at the expense of bass texture and control.

I've been using 64 ohms of resistance, but my guess is that ~50 ohms is probably just about right.

Interesting, I ordered a 50 ohm adapter to try out.

Mar 27, 2014 at 1:52 PM Post #75 of 196

Users who are viewing this thread

Back