Astrotec AX30, AX35 Hybrid IEMs Discussion Thread
Mar 8, 2014 at 2:00 AM Post #16 of 196
  The only thing that bothers me is the low impedance of ax35 (8 ohm) FiiO x3 recommends >16

Haven't had any issues with SQ due to low impedance.

Yep, that's a non-issue.

The X3 has some of the lowest output impedance values for a DAP, amp, etc. around, and it uses a high current-delivery opamp in the AD8397, so there's zero issue. The only thing would be that the X3 drains battery just a little bit quicker with the AX35 (but not much).

Also, keep in mind that the impedance value is only set at where it's tested (1 kHz)... because the AX35 has a BA tweeter, it will reach well above 8 ohms in the upper frequencies.

Mar 8, 2014 at 11:42 AM Post #20 of 196
After using them for a few days, my biggest complaint is that the metal body isn't smooth. The step-up in the middle of the metal body is a right-angle instead of being rounded. After awhile, it makes my ear sore. I'm not an over the ear guy, so I'm wearing them with the cable hanging down. Any advice? Maybe different tips would help, as the included tips are really soft, thin silicon. I haven't tried the provided Comply tips yet, as I'd rather not reduce the high end or make the low end muddy.

Thanks,
Nikolaus

Mar 10, 2014 at 9:46 PM Post #23 of 196
Just got mines in and I have some quick impressions before I give a more thorough review:

Clear and Crisp sound
Treble is snappy and quick.
Mids are a bit back (hard to get use to since I'm use to the IM50s)
Sound can get smeary in the highs if you listen at high volumes
Not as efficient as the IM50s
Bass is sufficient and never gets in the way (subdued to my ears)
Needs an absolutely good seal to get the most out out of it.
Feels like a side grade to IM50s

Mar 10, 2014 at 9:56 PM Post #24 of 196
I'm starting to think I prefer a thicker, lusher, more musical sound compared to a clear, crisp, and sterile sound. These don't sound as coherent as the IM50s in my opinion. That probably has a lot to do with the genres I prefer which is rap, r&b, pop, jazz, and alternative.

Mar 10, 2014 at 10:12 PM Post #25 of 196
Quote:
  These don't sound as coherent as the IM50s in my opinion.

No, indeed they're not. They do offer a more tonally neutral presentation than the IM50, though. I had to EQ down the bass response of the IM50 by at least 4-6 dB, whereas the AX35 is reasonable in bass response to begin with.

It's not without its flaws, but hey, at least it's very affordable, so it's a good value in my book.

The flaw I'm talking about is a holdover from the flaw of the AX60 --- the dynamic driver and BA driver are time-mismatched. The dynamic driver is also slow to decay, which makes the time alignment issue more apparent. The issue is actually much less pronounced in the AX35, mainly because the sheer bass quantity is far lower. However, there's a clear and distinct time-domain disconnect between the dynamic driver and its balanced armature highs. Time delays <60 Hz are not a big problem, actually, because in some ways they simulate bass reflecting off of walls in rooms, but it becomes an issue when the low-pass design isn't done tightly, and the bass cutoff is significantly higher than 60 Hz. The extra bass boost in the AX60 makes the time delay issue easier to hear.

Contrary to you, however, I don't feel the highs get smeared, but then again, I don't listen at high volumes.

Mar 10, 2014 at 10:24 PM Post #26 of 196
Turns out it sounds better with smaller tips for me. Everything sounds a bit more prominent minus the mids. The highs are better represented and the lows have a more audible punch. With that said, I'm still leaning towards the slightly warmer sig of the IM50s. Although they're less clear and possess inferior highs, they just sound more musical, I can't put my finger on it. I still think it's because of the music I prefer. At any case, I'll continue to give these AX-35s a good listen with no interruptions for the next few hours.

Mar 11, 2014 at 1:39 AM Post #27 of 196
The im50 is a basshead iem too me. Listened to it and was thoroughly unimpressed.

Highs were rolled off, the bass was bloated and untamed. It was strictly a commercial consumer grade sound.

Clarity wasn't great but it has decent timbre.

Mar 11, 2014 at 6:03 AM Post #28 of 196
The im50 is a basshead iem too me. Listened to it and was thoroughly unimpressed.

Highs were rolled off, the bass was bloated and untamed. It was strictly a commercial consumer grade sound.

Clarity wasn't great but it has decent timbre.

Not sure what you meant by "Commercial consumer grade sound". Are you refering to a V-shaped sound?

Mar 11, 2014 at 6:20 AM Post #29 of 196
  Quote:

No, indeed they're not. They do offer a more tonally neutral presentation than the IM50, though. I had to EQ down the bass response of the IM50 by at least 4-6 dB, whereas the AX35 is reasonable in bass response to begin with.

The flaw I'm talking about is a holdover from the flaw of the AX60 --- the dynamic driver and BA driver are time-mismatched. The dynamic driver is also slow to decay, which makes the time alignment issue more apparent. The issue is actually much less pronounced in the AX35, mainly because the sheer bass quantity is far lower. However, there's a clear and distinct time-domain disconnect between the dynamic driver and its balanced armature highs. Time delays <60 Hz are not a big problem, actually, because in some ways they simulate bass reflecting off of walls in rooms, but it becomes an issue when the low-pass design isn't done tightly, and the bass cutoff is significantly higher than 60 Hz. The extra bass boost in the AX60 makes the time delay issue easier to hear.

Contrary to you, however, I don't feel the highs get smeared, but then again, I don't listen at high volumes.

The AX60 seems to be a love/hate IEM and while I don't hate it, I'd happily take the DN-1000 over it. It's a shame though, because the AX35 is tuned wonderfully but the AX60 was bloated, dark and I'd even say a little veiled on the vocals on lower volumes, not to mention the treble. That didn't really annoy me though. 

I can't remember who it was, but someone state that they thought that the K3003's bass was a little slow, but the AX60's was a universe behind. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back