Astro MixAmp or Turtle Beach?
Aug 30, 2011 at 7:03 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 23

Waveboy

New Head-Fier
It seems that the latest and wireless Astro MixAmp '5.8' doesn't support an RCA connection which is what I need for surround sound headphone gaming for the Wii since the Wii is compatible with Optical or HDMI. The older None-wireless Astro mix Amp does in fact support RCA but i can't seem to find that model online for sale. The newer wireless version seems to only support Optical, which would be fine for my PS3, but I don't game on my PS3 that often as it's pretty much my DVD/Bluray/Music player and I'm not sure I really care too much(depending) for headphone surround sound for movies.

Also, AstroMix seems to support Dolby Pro Logic II'X'...Now wouldn't that convert the wii's normal DPLII to 6 or 7 channels? Because that's not the way the audio for the wii was intended to be. As for Turtle Beach's MixAmp, it too supports RCA but why do i get the feeling it doesn't deliver the same audio performance as the Astro? Anyways, i can get the Turtle Beach online if it's worth considering as an option.

Oh, and I plan on using my Sennheiser HD380's(when they arrive) seems like any type of headphone is compatible which is pretty rad. Anyways...help!
tongue_smile.gif

Aug 30, 2011 at 7:11 PM Post #2 of 23

Quote:
It seems that the latest and wireless Astro MixAmp '5.8' doesn't support an RCA connection which is what I need for surround sound headphone gaming for the Wii since the Wii is compatible with Optical or HDMI. The older None-wireless Astro mix Amp does in fact support RCA but i can't seem to find that model online for sale. The newer wireless version seems to only support Optical, which would be fine for my PS3, but I don't game on my PS3 that often as it's pretty much my DVD/Bluray/Music player and I'm not sure I really care too much(depending) for headphone surround sound for movies.
Also, AstroMix seems to support Dolby Pro Logic II'X'...Now wouldn't that convert the wii's normal DPLII to 6 or 7 channels? Because that's not the way the audio for the wii was intended to be. As for Turtle Beach's MixAmp, it too supports RCA but why do i get the feeling it doesn't deliver the same audio performance as the Astro? Anyways, i can get the Turtle Beach online if it's worth considering as an option.
Oh, and I plan on using my Sennheiser HD380's(when they arrive) seems like any type of headphone is compatible which is pretty rad. Anyways...help!
tongue_smile.gif

Astro Mixamps are sometimes for sale in the "amplification on sale" thread.
Usually also find them on eBay.

Aug 30, 2011 at 8:06 PM Post #3 of 23
People normally say that the Astro is way better in every aspect...you can also use it with your mp3 player or ipod.  

Aug 30, 2011 at 8:57 PM Post #5 of 23
I bought the wired mixamp only a month or two ago.  Pretty happy with it.  Although you can hear some noise when adjusting the volume it sounds fine if you don't touch it.  I wasn't too impressed with the surround sound though, although I'm usually listening to music on my computer.  Also I'd recommend if you need a toslink to cable to get it at monoprice.com.  I bought it there for like 1/4 the price that astro wanted.  Then bought some mesh sleeving and bundled the usb and toslink cables together.  For the computer I may upgrade sometime soon but I'd then probably use this with my ps3 since right now movies and games I play on there are using the tv speakers.

Aug 30, 2011 at 9:45 PM Post #6 of 23
Well how is the audio performance when compared to lets say a solid 7.1 receiver while using headphones which is what I'm currently using. If there's any degrade in audio quality i'll most likely pass. And the surround sound for the headphones isn't that good huh? But you said you were only listening to music....I'm interested to hear how it performs for gaming which is the only reason why I'm interested in picking one of these up in the first place. :p

If it's a crummy surround sound effect then I'll most likely pass.

Aug 31, 2011 at 5:03 AM Post #7 of 23
OK since my cat just walked over the keyboard and caused everything to erase I'm going to make this short...

Played some TF2 using HD558.  With surround off (I tested with the stereo configuration set to stereo and 7.1) I could tell if something was coming from the left or right and that's about it.  With surround on it made everything sound fuller.  I could better judge left and right but didn't really notice front and back.  This was also probably not the best of games to test this since it has 32 players so being able to pinpoint anything is going to be kinda hard.  Maybe I'll try half life 2 or something but will be a few days till I get around to it.

So it may just be because I'm not used to surround in FPS games.  Been playing a lot of MMOs and Diablo-like games which doesn't really use surround much.  I guess another way to put it is I don't regret buying the mixamp at all and would be fine with plugging it in to my PS3.  I just don't because I have it velcro'd to my computer desk and don't want to disconnect everything when I go to tv.  I have thought of buying another pair of cables so all I have to do is disconnect the mixamp itself and leave the cables on both the computer and ps3.

Aug 31, 2011 at 6:45 AM Post #8 of 23
Lots of discussion on Dolby headphone gaming here:
http://www.head-fi.org/forum/newestpost/534479

If you're connecting your Wii with the RCA cables, you can't get true surround sound. Ever. RCA implies stereo sound, i.e. 2-channels.
Afaik gaming with surround sound always starts with a digital or optical connection.

Aug 31, 2011 at 7:02 AM Post #9 of 23
You do get Pro Logic II from the Wii, which the wired Mixamp can work with, and IMHO actually does a slightly BETTER job of giving you surround cues than it does with Dolby Digital, though it does sound more 'processed'.

The Wired Mixamp is easily the best solution if you have multiple hookups:

RCA input for the Wii (it works wonderfully)

Optical Input for Hd system 1 (for example PS3/360)

Digital Coax input for HD system 2 (buy a simple digital coax to optical digital converter, which will give you 100% the same sound as the optical digital input. (Note: whatever is hooked up to the optical digital input on the Mixamp gets priority over everything else, in case you like having multiple systems on. You won't be able to hear the other inputs until you turn off whatever is hooked up to the optical digital input)

The wired Mixamp is kind of clutter heavy especially if you plan on getting a digital coax to optical digital converter, but it is the most versatile in terms of what you can hook up to it.

The next iteration of the Mixamp BETTER have multiple optical digital inputs... I swear. With my 5.8, I have to reach behind the Tx unit and swap optical cables whenever I wanna change from my PS3 to 360 and vice versa. All the optical switchers I used didn't work properly. :rolleyes:

Aug 31, 2011 at 9:37 AM Post #10 of 23

Quote:
You do get Pro Logic II from the Wii, which the wired Mixamp can work with, and IMHO actually does a slightly BETTER job of giving you surround cues than it does with Dolby Digital, though it does sound more 'processed'.

The Wired Mixamp is easily the best solution if you have multiple hookups:

RCA input for the Wii (it works wonderfully)

Optical Input for Hd system 1 (for example PS3/360)

Digital Coax input for HD system 2 (buy a simple digital coax to optical digital converter, which will give you 100% the same sound as the optical digital input. (Note: whatever is hooked up to the optical digital input on the Mixamp gets priority over everything else, in case you like having multiple systems on. You won't be able to hear the other inputs until you turn off whatever is hooked up to the optical digital input)

The wired Mixamp is kind of clutter heavy especially if you plan on getting a digital coax to optical digital converter, but it is the most versatile in terms of what you can hook up to it.

The next iteration of the Mixamp BETTER have multiple optical digital inputs... I swear. With my 5.8, I have to reach behind the Tx unit and swap optical cables whenever I wanna change from my PS3 to 360 and vice versa. All the optical switchers I used didn't work properly.
rolleyes.gif

I'm pretty sure the Wii in general does a simulated 5.1 DPL II. But doesn't the Wired Astro only do DPLII'X' instead which would convert 5 channels to 6 or 7? eek! :p
Anyways, i wouldn't be using this for my PS3/Bluray/DVD or music just the Wii and that's that, so no need to worry about an optical cable, although i have one around here somewhere for my PS3, but I've switched to HDMI for sound since that gives my 7.1 receiver 96hz/DTS Master HD Audio for Bluray movies and yadah yadah hehe....Not sure if an optical or HDMI connection would make a difference when it comes to using headphones though.  And i hear the new wireless Astro supports a higher frequency, too bad it doesn't support RCA cables. Sigh* If only there was some sort of RCA to Optical Adapter.or is there?

Anyways, when you say that the DPLII from the Astro for the Wii sounds processed, do you mean how the Astro deals with the audio? or just how DPLII for the Wii sounds processed in general when using a surround sound system? By no means does it sound as good as Dolby Digital, but it's still awesome to hear that full 3D world of sound in Super Mario Galaxy for example....Hearing goomba's running up behind you or a water fall pouring to your rear/right is pretty spectacular and quite immersive. 

But ya, I'd be totaly crushed if the Astro Mix offered inferior 2 channel sound(for ex) compared to using my 7.2 Receiver. I don't think i could settle for anything less, just more with the flippin' inclusion of the Astro's ability to pump out surround sound in your very own headphones.
tongue_smile.gif

Ugh! If only my Walls were ultra sound proof, then i could actually use and blast my 5.1 surround sound system for gaming and movies. But for now I gotta settle for headphones. I'm still incredibly stoked about getting my HD380's.....Hardly any sound leakage and you get Isolation, hell yes! And superior bass compared to the HD555's which i also have....But I'm worried that the 380's sound stage won't quite be as nice, but close.

Aug 31, 2011 at 10:51 AM Post #11 of 23
Astro MixAmps take surround sound signals (e.g. 5.1, 7.1) and mix them into a 2.0, because that's what headphones are: 2 channels. It's supposed to do it in such a way that simulates the feeling of surround sound, however, and that's one of the main reasons why people buy it. It simulates surround sound with any headphone.

Aug 31, 2011 at 2:50 PM Post #12 of 23

Quote:
But ya, I'd be totaly crushed if the Astro Mix offered inferior 2 channel sound(for ex) compared to using my 7.2 Receiver. I don't think i could settle for anything less, just more with the flippin' inclusion of the Astro's ability to pump out surround sound in your very own headphones.
tongue_smile.gif

The mixamp is a very nice product but I personally prefer the sound my receiver produces.  The surround effect that the mixamp produces is very close to what my receiver does, however my receiver produces a cleaner sound and has the ability to EQ the sound settings as well.  If you're not going to be gaming where voice chat is a requirement, I'd say stick with your receiver and save yourself the money.  I only use my mixamp when playing online with friends but my preference is definitely the receiver.  

Aug 31, 2011 at 6:55 PM Post #13 of 23
eek! Receiver it is,which I'm sticking with. lol  i don't think i could deal with the inferior 'less-Clear' Audio from the wired Astro MixAmp even while getting Simulated Surround Sound. That's the deal breaker for me folks! :p BUT, it seems like the wireless MixAmp offers a much higher frequency and people are saying that the audio sounds amazing....Unless i can magically stir up an Optical to RCA adapter i might be in. But the Wii's only RCA compatible while the Wireless AstroMix only supports Optical.

Aug 31, 2011 at 7:08 PM Post #14 of 23

Looky at what i found on eBay hehe. Looks like my Wireless Optical 'only' Astro MixAmp problem is solved....Hopefully that is. This little baby is an RCA to Optical adapter which I'm guessing would work with the Wireless Astro giving you an RCA quality connection and letting you get DPLII. Would this work with the Wireless Astro? and because the Wireless astro is rocking a much higher frequency than the older model I'm guessing the difference between the sound quality with it compared to my current 7.1 receiver would be zero.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back