Astell & Kern SR25: The next A&norma player
Jan 7, 2022 at 11:58 AM Post #2,296 of 2,746
Hi all, a few quick questions regarding Apple Music on the SR25:

1. My settings indicate downloads and wifi streaming are hi-res lossless, however when I stream or download an album that clearly states having hi res lossless quality (Coltrane's "A Love Supreme" for example) It shows as 24-bit/44.1 kHz ALAC with the normal Lossless tag. Is that normal? Any album recommendations that you feel make full use of the 24-bit/192 khz lossless format?

2. I want to upgrade storage with a large Micro SD card. Do I need to fiddle with the desktop utility (I'm on a mac) to get apple music to store downloads there instead of the internal memory?
Hi
as to the first, try this
as to the second, I have windows but the option determining where to download is in the android app settings. I have some 180 g of Apple Music files in my SD card.

hope it helps!

Jan 8, 2022 at 3:14 PM Post #2,298 of 2,746
Does anyone know of a way I can use the SR25 as an external DAC with mobile devices maybe? (Like iPad?)
What do you mean, have you tried already to turn on dac option from the player, to connect it to ipad trough cable and it didn't work ?
I'm asking because I described the standart mode and I haven't issued any problems. At least it's easier to stream the music from the phone to the player, if usb dac isn't working.

Jan 9, 2022 at 3:17 PM Post #2,299 of 2,746
Hello all,
Quick question, I would like to update my version of Foobar2000 to the latest version. I cannot find any sort of update link in the version I have so I was wondering if I re-download the newer APK and install it will it overwrite my playlists that I have already made?
Thanks in advance...

Jan 9, 2022 at 3:31 PM Post #2,300 of 2,746
Hello all,
Quick question, I would like to update my version of Foobar2000 to the latest version. I cannot find any sort of update link in the version I have so I was wondering if I re-download the newer APK and install it will it overwrite my playlists that I have already made?
Thanks in advance...
I would check on the AK site and see if the newest AK is even compatible. They have a list of ever version that is known to work.

Jan 10, 2022 at 12:54 AM Post #2,301 of 2,746
What do you mean, have you tried already to turn on dac option from the player, to connect it to ipad trough cable and it didn't work ?
I'm asking because I described the standart mode and I haven't issued any problems. At least it's easier to stream the music from the phone to the player, if usb dac isn't working.
Sadly, the option to even use it as a DAC doesn’t work when connected :/ when trying to select the option in the settings, it just won’t click

Jan 10, 2022 at 4:22 PM Post #2,302 of 2,746
Well, my recommendation is quite basic and maybe you've already performed some actions. But usually when you cannot select usb DAC option, then the cable is damaged or it's nonfunctional. If you can, you could try with another cable or another device, in order to exclude the cable factor. If with another cable and with another devices the situation is the same, then you could perform a soft reset.
I don't think that it's player's issue, because I never heard about this kind of issue on SR25.

Jan 10, 2022 at 4:35 PM Post #2,303 of 2,746
Hello all,
Thanks in advance...
You need to download and install the new APK. Do not uninstall the version you have on the player now. Download the APK, copy to OpenService folder and install from the player. The new version of the app will upgrade the old version currently installed and will keep all settings and playlists. If you uninstall the currently installed version first, it will erase all settings and playlists.

Astell&Kern Stay updated on Astell&Kern at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/astellnkern/ https://twitter.com/astell_kern https://www.instagram.com/astellnkern.official/ https://astellnkern.com astellnkern@astellnkern.com
Jan 11, 2022 at 12:40 AM Post #2,304 of 2,746
You need to download and install the new APK. Do not uninstall the version you have on the player now. Download the APK, copy to OpenService folder and install from the player. The new version of the app will upgrade the old version currently installed and will keep all settings and playlists. If you uninstall the currently installed version first, it will erase all settings and playlists.
Ok, thanks. This is the info I was looking for. Is it possible to create text files of the titles on my player or from the playlists? I realize this is a more Foobar question than AK, but was wondering if you might know.

Jan 11, 2022 at 12:44 PM Post #2,305 of 2,746
Hi
as to the first, try this
as to the second, I have windows but the option determining where to download is in the android app settings. I have some 180 g of Apple Music files in my SD card.

hope it helps!
Thanks so much! You're a gem! TIL: Apple Digital Master does not mean Hi-res Lossless. I guess i don't know what Apple Digital Master means, if anything.

Jan 11, 2022 at 3:44 PM Post #2,306 of 2,746
Hi, help needed.
I can't find the right apk for SoundCloud. Can you provide a link? The versions I tried keep asking for Playstore access and won't play.

The installation works, but after signing in it shows error.

Qobuz / Spotify no problems
Maybe, this picture makes it more clear?

Attachments

• PXL_20220111_190900192.MP.jpg
    PXL_20220111_190900192.MP.jpg
    6.8 MB · Views: 0
Jan 12, 2022 at 3:48 PM Post #2,307 of 2,746
First impressions about the SR25 MK2 I got on Monday.

As expected, the form factor makes this DAP a true portable device. In this category, we have the Dethonray DTR1, the Lotoo P6K, the Sony ZX300 and the Hiby R5 saber. Built quality is top-notch, but it's the minimum at this price point, in my opinion. As you can see on the picture below, I purchased the dedicated case in order to protect the player. After having applied the screen protector, I decided to remove it, as it slows down the response a bit while navigating through the folders.

From an user and technical perspective, I am satisfied so far, this DAP meets my expectations.

It took approx. 2 hours to fully charge the player, the battery showing 10% out of the box. Listening via 4.4mm, screen off 80% of the time, no WiFi, volume set between 65 and 95 (out of 150) depending on the IEMs, I get a solid 14 hours playing time, which is good enough for my needs. Someone going 3.5mm definitely should get 18-19 hours, even at a slightly above average volume level. It remains an assumption, though.

I tried Tidal and it works (offline mode not tested), but it crashes from time to time, eventhough I am 4 meter away from a potent WiFi source. I won't using streaming services anyway, so I don't care much, but it has to be mentioned for people looking for this feature. It's highly regrettable and might make this DAP less appealing than it is on the paper.

The navigation through the different folders is intuitive and the UI response quite fast, with very little latency. My SD-Card with 300GB of music (7'000 lossless tracks) has been scanned in no time. The screen is bright enough, even with the corresponding setting set on 50%.

As a local files listener only, the SR25 MK2 fits my bill so far. It's my first AK player and I am agreeably surprised. Worth of note is the entry ticket, which is on the higher side of the spectrum considering the (functioning) features and what's under the hood.

All of the above is important to me as a long-standing DAPs aficionado and owner. This actually is where the experience starts.

Well, what about the sound? After 20 hours, I would describe the SR25 MK2 as a "warmish yet detailed" sounding DAP. I am amazed by the level of details coming out from this small device. There are information coming from all sides. If the detail retrieval level hits my sweet post, the layering and the instrument/vocal separation are impressive, making this AK player a real pleasure to listen to. Adding a touch of velvet warmth into the mix is the icing on the cake. It's not the most technically advanced DAP on the market, that's clear, but the "magic sauce" applied by AK does it for me and irrespective of the IEMs I am using with the SR25 MK2, I am getting my goosebumps. Let's see if this feeling will last over the next few weeks/months.

The SR25 MK2 won't drive anything you will throw at it. Pick your IEMs or headphones carefully. For example, the planar Timeless 7HZ (via 4.4mm) are driven with enough authority, but even if I am listening to my music at pretty high volume, I have to scroll up the wheel until I reach the 100 mark (out of 150).

My early impressions are positive and I am looking forward to spending more time with this player.

SR25 MK2 / ORIVETI 0400
IMG_2563[285].jpg

Last edited:
Jan 12, 2022 at 4:31 PM Post #2,308 of 2,746
First impressions about the SR25 MK2 I got on Monday.

As expected, the form factor makes this DAP a true portable device. In this category, we have the Dethonray DTR1, the Lotoo P6K, the Sony ZX300 and the Hiby R5 saber. Built quality is top-notch, but it's the minimum at this price point, in my opinion. As you can see on the picture below, I purchased the dedicated case in order to protect the player. After having applied the screen protector, I decided to remove it, as it slows down the response a bit while navigating through the folders.

From an user and technical perspective, I am satisfied so far, this DAP meets my expectations.

It took approx. 2 hours to fully charge the player, the battery showing 10% out of the box. Listening via 4.4mm, screen off 80% of the time, no WiFi, volume set between 65 and 95 (out of 150) depending on the IEMs, I get a solid 14 hours playing time, which is good enough for my needs. Someone going 3.5mm definitely should get 18-19 hours, even at a slightly above average volume level. It remains an assumption, though.

I tried Tidal and it works (offline mode not tested), but it crashes from time to time, eventhough I am 4 meter away from a potent WiFi source. I won't using streaming services anyway, so I don't care much, but it has to be mentioned for people looking for this feature. It's highly regrettable and might make this DAP less appealing than it is on the paper.

The navigation through the different folders is intuitive and the UI response quite fast, with very little latency. My SD-Card with 300GB of music (7'000 lossless tracks) has been scanned in no time. The screen is bright enough, even with the corresponding setting set on 50%.

As a local files listener only, the SR25 MK2 fits my bill so far. It's my first AK player and I am agreeably surprised. Worth of note is the entry ticket, which is on the higher side of the spectrum considering the (functioning) features and what's under the hood.

All of the above is important to me as a long-standing DAPs aficionado and owner. This actually is where the experience starts.

Well, what about the sound? After 20 hours, I would describe the SR25 MK2 as a "warmish yet detailed" sounding DAP. I am amazed by the level of details coming out from this small device. There are information coming from all sides. If the detail retrieval level hits my sweet post, the layering and the instrument/vocal separation are impressive, making this AK player a real pleasure to listen to. Adding a touch of velvet warmth into the mix is the icing on the cake. It's not the most technically advanced DAP on the market, that's clear, but the "magic sauce" applied by AK does it for me and irrespective of the IEMs I am using with the SR25 MK2, I am getting my goosebumps. Let's see if this feeling will last over the next few weeks/months.

The SR25 MK2 won't drive anything you will throw at it. Pick your IEMs or headphones carefully. For example, the planar Timeless 7HZ (via 4.4mm) are driven with enough authority, but even if I am listening to my music at pretty high volume, I have to scroll up the wheel until I reach the 100 mark (out of 150).

My early impressions are positive and I am looking forward to spending more time with this player.

SR25 MK2 / ORIVETI 0400
IMG_2563[285].jpg
Yep, the WiFi and Bluetooth on the SR25 are the achilles heal for many users of this DAP.

But for me, I’ve got past that, and just really enjoy its sound in such a pocket-friendly form factor.

Jan 14, 2022 at 9:41 AM Post #2,309 of 2,746
I've upgraded quite a few of the lo-res CD album art that were tagged on my FLAC files & recopied them to the SR25. How do I get them to display now? Do a manual music scan? Or is there a quick way to re-build the artwork cache?
Thanks!

Jan 14, 2022 at 11:50 AM Post #2,310 of 2,746
I've upgraded quite a few of the lo-res CD album art that were tagged on my FLAC files & recopied them to the SR25. How do I get them to display now? Do a manual music scan? Or is there a quick way to re-build the artwork cache?
Thanks!
Recommend running a manual media scan. Settings -> System reset -> Initialize media scan. If you have playlists set up on the player, make sure clear playlists is NOT selected,

It can take up to 15 - 20 minutes for a full scan to run depending on how many files are in internal memory and on microSD card. Once the scan completes, if you have playlists, it will take an additional 5 minutes or so for the player to repopulate the playlists.

Astell&Kern Stay updated on Astell&Kern at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/astellnkern/ https://twitter.com/astell_kern https://www.instagram.com/astellnkern.official/ https://astellnkern.com astellnkern@astellnkern.com

Users who are viewing this thread

Back