Astell & Kern SR25: The next A&norma player
Jan 14, 2022 at 11:58 AM Post #2,311 of 2,746
Recommend running a manual media scan. Settings -> System reset -> Initialize media scan. If you have playlists set up on the player, make sure clear playlists is NOT selected,

It can take up to 15 - 20 minutes for a full scan to run depending on how many files are in internal memory and on microSD card. Once the scan completes, if you have playlists, it will take an additional 5 minutes or so for the player to repopulate the playlists.
Thank you JasonNYC!

Jan 14, 2022 at 6:12 PM Post #2,312 of 2,746
I’ve got past that, and just really enjoy its sound in such a pocket-friendly form factor.
The statement of a happy owner then. Same feeling growing up in here. Battery life, pocket size and mature sound tuning do the trick.

7HZ Timeless time tonite

IMG_2571.jpg

Last edited:
Jan 14, 2022 at 7:31 PM Post #2,313 of 2,746
Anyone have any database problems? Quite a few of my albums are not in the database. And it seems I cant make Playlists on the go from the file system or even favorite them. I've tried 2 scans so far. The albums in question do have tag data and have shown up on all my other daps.

I have the mkii version, latest firmware.

Unless my card isn't formatted right? I don't get it, some of the stuff I've just downloaded from Amazon.

Last edited:
Jan 14, 2022 at 8:30 PM Post #2,314 of 2,746
First impressions about the SR25 MK2 I got on Monday.

As expected, the form factor makes this DAP a true portable device. In this category, we have the Dethonray DTR1, the Lotoo P6K, the Sony ZX300 and the Hiby R5 saber. Built quality is top-notch, but it's the minimum at this price point, in my opinion. As you can see on the picture below, I purchased the dedicated case in order to protect the player. After having applied the screen protector, I decided to remove it, as it slows down the response a bit while navigating through the folders.

From an user and technical perspective, I am satisfied so far, this DAP meets my expectations.

It took approx. 2 hours to fully charge the player, the battery showing 10% out of the box. Listening via 4.4mm, screen off 80% of the time, no WiFi, volume set between 65 and 95 (out of 150) depending on the IEMs, I get a solid 14 hours playing time, which is good enough for my needs. Someone going 3.5mm definitely should get 18-19 hours, even at a slightly above average volume level. It remains an assumption, though.

I tried Tidal and it works (offline mode not tested), but it crashes from time to time, eventhough I am 4 meter away from a potent WiFi source. I won't using streaming services anyway, so I don't care much, but it has to be mentioned for people looking for this feature. It's highly regrettable and might make this DAP less appealing than it is on the paper.

The navigation through the different folders is intuitive and the UI response quite fast, with very little latency. My SD-Card with 300GB of music (7'000 lossless tracks) has been scanned in no time. The screen is bright enough, even with the corresponding setting set on 50%.

As a local files listener only, the SR25 MK2 fits my bill so far. It's my first AK player and I am agreeably surprised. Worth of note is the entry ticket, which is on the higher side of the spectrum considering the (functioning) features and what's under the hood.

All of the above is important to me as a long-standing DAPs aficionado and owner. This actually is where the experience starts.

Well, what about the sound? After 20 hours, I would describe the SR25 MK2 as a "warmish yet detailed" sounding DAP. I am amazed by the level of details coming out from this small device. There are information coming from all sides. If the detail retrieval level hits my sweet post, the layering and the instrument/vocal separation are impressive, making this AK player a real pleasure to listen to. Adding a touch of velvet warmth into the mix is the icing on the cake. It's not the most technically advanced DAP on the market, that's clear, but the "magic sauce" applied by AK does it for me and irrespective of the IEMs I am using with the SR25 MK2, I am getting my goosebumps. Let's see if this feeling will last over the next few weeks/months.

The SR25 MK2 won't drive anything you will throw at it. Pick your IEMs or headphones carefully. For example, the planar Timeless 7HZ (via 4.4mm) are driven with enough authority, but even if I am listening to my music at pretty high volume, I have to scroll up the wheel until I reach the 100 mark (out of 150).

My early impressions are positive and I am looking forward to spending more time with this player.

SR25 MK2 / ORIVETI 0400
IMG_2563[285].jpg

I've tried all those daps except the DTR1 and although the r5s is full Android I think the sr25 ii sounds better than all of them. Imo.

Jan 15, 2022 at 12:27 AM Post #2,315 of 2,746
Greetings to all ! I am only interested in one question regarding players and it is as follows - Will I get an increase in sound quality by buying a more expensive player Astell&Kern A&norma SR25 multiple of the difference in price relative to player Shanling M3X ??? I don't consider other player models, only these two models. Thanks!

Jan 15, 2022 at 3:38 AM Post #2,316 of 2,746
The statement of a happy owner then. Same feeling growing up in here. Battery life, pocket size and mature sound tuning do the trick.

7HZ Timeless time tonite

IMG_2571.jpg
How do you like Timeless with your SR25?

Jan 15, 2022 at 5:14 AM Post #2,318 of 2,746
Hello,

I am interested in this player. I mostly listen to my own collection. But because of my family and the Apple ecosystem I am subscribed to Apple Music. Can I install this on the AK25 II?

Thank you,
Marc
I have the Mark I and use Apple Music lossless and high res without problem. Sound quality is excellent to my ears. I have 180 gb of Apple Music in my sdcard for offline use

Jan 15, 2022 at 5:26 AM Post #2,320 of 2,746
I've tried all those daps except the DTR1 and although the r5s is full Android I think the sr25 ii sounds better than all of them. Imo.
The DTR1 is the best sounding of the two for me, but it’s a close call. The raw power and neutrality of the DTR1 is something unique in this format.

The SR25 MK2 is not far behind because I like the slightly warmer presentation better.

The AK is way superior to the ZX300 soundwise.

I never listened to the P6K.

Jan 15, 2022 at 8:12 AM Post #2,321 of 2,746
The DTR1 is the best sounding of the two for me, but it’s a close call. The raw power and neutrality of the DTR1 is something unique in this format.

The SR25 MK2 is not far behind because I like the slightly warmer presentation better.

The AK is way superior to the ZX300 soundwise.

I never listened to the P6K.

PK6 sounds really nice, but I personally like the more lively presentation (forward mids) of the sr25ii.

Last edited:
Jan 15, 2022 at 4:44 PM Post #2,324 of 2,746
Greetings to all ! I am only interested in one question regarding players and it is as follows - Will I get an increase in sound quality by buying a more expensive player Astell&Kern A&norma SR25 multiple of the difference in price relative to player Shanling M3X ??? I don't consider other player models, only these two models. Thanks!
Paying 2x the price for the SR25 MK2 unlikely will give you the impression that the AK player sounds 2x better than the Shanling's one. I did not listen to the M3X myself, though. It also depends on what are your priorities apart from sound quality. Both players sports a 4.4mm HO and offer more than 20 hours battery life (on the paper). The AK player seems much more solid and the premium paid has something to do with the brand itself, it's undeniable.

Your question is actually quite difficult to answer, because you are the only one who really can answer it at the end of the day. Try to get both on loan or to purchase them via a platform that allows returns within a realistic time-frame.

Jan 15, 2022 at 4:59 PM Post #2,325 of 2,746
Getting the Earbuds (K's earphone Lbbs) treatment tonight via the 3.5mm HO. The lower end is done just right, but vocals stand out here. I get my walkman feeling from the early 90's and the enjoyable midcentric signature from this combo slowly is convincing me that the AK SR25 MK2 is the ultra-portable player I was looking for. First positive impressions confirmed so far.

IMG_2576[291].jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back