Astell & Kern SR25: The next A&norma player
Dec 29, 2021 at 3:40 AM Post #2,281 of 2,746
Hi all. I am trying to use Tidal on my sr25 (apk and xapk version), but when trying to play the songs, either online or offline, it doesn't work (see photo with error message). I have tried downloading different versions of the software and none of them work. Can you think what could happen? I've been waiting for Spotify to release its promised hifi version, but since it hasn't, I wanted to switch to Tidal. Thanks in advance.

https://imgur.com/a/QdBuQtf

Dec 29, 2021 at 4:47 AM Post #2,282 of 2,746
Hi all. I am trying to use Tidal on my sr25 (apk and xapk version), but when trying to play the songs, either online or offline, it doesn't work (see photo with error message). I have tried downloading different versions of the software and none of them work. Can you think what could happen? I've been waiting for Spotify to release its promised hifi version, but since it hasn't, I wanted to switch to Tidal. Thanks in advance.

Hola Sancho,
a friend of mine had a similar problem and it turned out to be the firmware version, he was running the SR25 on an old firmware version. Mine is now in 1.54. My friend updated the firmware, then system reset and it worked, he told me. Hope it helps
Also others may help you as to the last Tidal version that works. I do not use Tidal anymore

Dec 29, 2021 at 8:51 AM Post #2,283 of 2,746

You have to use apk firmware version 2.42.2 of Tidal not a newer version.

Dec 29, 2021 at 12:31 PM Post #2,285 of 2,746
Hola Sancho,
a friend of mine had a similar problem and it turned out to be the firmware version, he was running the SR25 on an old firmware version. Mine is now in 1.54. My friend updated the firmware, then system reset and it worked, he told me. Hope it helps
Also others may help you as to the last Tidal version that works. I do not use Tidal anymore
Thanks! I have made the sr25 factory reset and now it seems to work fine after installing version 2.42.2

Dec 29, 2021 at 4:31 PM Post #2,286 of 2,746
Having now owned the SR25 for a year or more (along with the AK70MKII, SR15, SP1000M & AK380 previously) I'm still really enjoying this DAP and strongly recommend it to anyone who prioritizes portability over sound, yet it still sounds fantastic with a deliciously fun, upbeat tuning. Yes I do miss the refinement especially in the treble of more expensive players, but for a player of this size the compromise is completely reasonable.

Another pleasant surprise is upgrading both to the latest firmware & the Tidal app recently which has rendered the service completely usable, as opposed to last year when I tested the combination and found the wifi performance so poor to be a waste of time. Now I'm streaming MQA Master tracks on the SR25 with no problem, and enjoying the sound quality as much as hi-res FLAC files in my collection. The small screen & slightly-sluggish interface performance is something of a hindrance, but be bearable.

Dec 29, 2021 at 5:46 PM Post #2,287 of 2,746
Having now owned the SR25 for a year or more (along with the AK70MKII, SR15, SP1000M & AK380 previously) I'm still really enjoying this DAP and strongly recommend it to anyone who prioritizes portability over sound, yet it still sounds fantastic with a deliciously fun, upbeat tuning. Yes I do miss the refinement especially in the treble of more expensive players, but for a player of this size the compromise is completely reasonable.

Another pleasant surprise is upgrading both to the latest firmware & the Tidal app recently which has rendered the service completely usable, as opposed to last year when I tested the combination and found the wifi performance so poor to be a waste of time. Now I'm streaming MQA Master tracks on the SR25 with no problem, and enjoying the sound quality as much as hi-res FLAC files in my collection. The small screen & slightly-sluggish interface performance is something of a hindrance, but be bearable.
Yup, Andro2020/SR25 is my go-to pairing for mobile listening, it never fails to bring a smile while I'm out for a walk.

Your comment about treble makes me curious about what I'm missing, as I find the upper mids and treble to be a real strength of this combo when listening to lighter styles for eg. female vocals, acoustic guitars, cymbals and that sort of thing. Does lower midrange and bass alright as well, but for me it's the upper regions that I really appreciate.

Dec 29, 2021 at 6:41 PM Post #2,288 of 2,746
Yup, Andro2020/SR25 is my go-to pairing for mobile listening, it never fails to bring a smile while I'm out for a walk.

Your comment about treble makes me curious about what I'm missing, as I find the upper mids and treble to be a real strength of this combo when listening to lighter styles for eg. female vocals, acoustic guitars, cymbals and that sort of thing. Does lower midrange and bass alright as well, but for me it's the upper regions that I really appreciate.
I've only recently acquired the Andromeda 2020's but definitely agree they pair very well with the SR25. Being so easy to drive it feeds them all the power they need.

TOTL players deliver more nuanced sound than the humble CS43198 DAC is capable of delivering. The amount of performance A&K have been able to extract from it in the SR25 is beyond what I would've believed possible in the days of the original AK70, perhaps that's a testamanet to how well they've optimized the amp circuit over the years. However compared to very expensive DAPs treble tends to be simplified and one-note, in particular I find it more difficult to hear notes decay, and inhabit their own unqiue space distinct from instruments around them. Certainly the Andromeda's does a great job of teasing out such details that are there, but performances come across as less lavish, rich & sophsticated than from a superior player.

That said I do love the upfront and aggressive nature of the SR25's tuning, whereas higher-end players often feature more laid-back tuning which encourages intellectual examination of albums, potentially at the expense of emotional satisfaction & fun factor. Everything is a tradeoff in this hobby.

Jan 5, 2022 at 4:09 PM Post #2,291 of 2,746
Would anyone happen to have made sonic comparisons between the SR25 & SR25 MKII? Very interested to hear how they stack up.

Jan 6, 2022 at 6:12 AM Post #2,292 of 2,746
Have had the SR25 for about 2 weeks. After the initial 'new toy' joy has worn off, I must confess to becoming a little disappointed. I come from medium to high-end USB DAC experience (W2, S1 and S2, S9, Pee51, etc.) and I wanted to try the SR25 as I loved the A&K Pee51 DAC, but wanted something with substantial battery life. I was also expecting at least a marginal gain in sound from the SR25 over the Pee51. After much A/B-ing between the two, if anything the Pee51 has the better sound (flac lossless/hi res through UAPP to W80s). The SR25 has a thinner top end which can sound rather too fragile; the Pee51 is both prettier, fuller and more analogue to my ears. Balanced output didn't help. Also, the only app that I could get to work properly on the SR25 - e.g., a swift UI experience, effectively downloads a massive library, and plays in hi res - was the Apple Music app, which exacerbated that thinner top end compared to the native player or Qobuz. So the SR25 is being returned, which is a shame.

Jan 7, 2022 at 4:32 AM Post #2,293 of 2,746
Have had the SR25 for about 2 weeks. After the initial 'new toy' joy has worn off, I must confess to becoming a little disappointed. I come from medium to high-end USB DAC experience (W2, S1 and S2, S9, Pee51, etc.) and I wanted to try the SR25 as I loved the A&K Pee51 DAC, but wanted something with substantial battery life. I was also expecting at least a marginal gain in sound from the SR25 over the Pee51. After much A/B-ing between the two, if anything the Pee51 has the better sound (flac lossless/hi res through UAPP to W80s). The SR25 has a thinner top end which can sound rather too fragile; the Pee51 is both prettier, fuller and more analogue to my ears. Balanced output didn't help. Also, the only app that I could get to work properly on the SR25 - e.g., a swift UI experience, effectively downloads a massive library, and plays in hi res - was the Apple Music app, which exacerbated that thinner top end compared to the native player or Qobuz. So the SR25 is being returned, which is a shame.
Well I have to say my own experience with the SR25 vs a few Dongle-DACs has been quite the opposite. The TLDR for me after 18 months with the SR25 is that I really look forward to all the times I take to use it out and around, especially with the Andro2020.

One of my very first head-fi purchases was a FiiO i1 Lightning dongle to use with my iPhone, just to see what it might do for me. SQ-wise it was only very slightly better than the standard Apple dongle. But it did have an in-line microphone, so that was handy to use if I wanted to take a call while using IEMs. It lasted about 6 months before the constant wear of having it bent/curled in my pocket caused the internal wiring to fail, so now it is e-waste sitting in a drawer waiting to for it's final end. The lesson here for me was that for an all-in-one dongle, just stick with the Apple one.

More recently I bought a L&P W2, as there has been quite a lot of buzz around that one, so I thought I couldn't go too far wrong. It only occasionally was recognised over USB by my Mac, and cut out after a few minutes' listen when it was recognised. I thought I'd try to upgrade the firmware, so i plugged it in to a Windows laptop, but it was never recognised over USB, so I couldn't do this. I wasn't really too fussed over using it with either PC, as I already have proper desktop gear for that use case. BUT the SQ to my ears using it with my iPhone was several pegs below what I got from the SR25. It was muffled and thin-sounding across the FR. So it went back. Maybe I got a dud unit, I'll never know.

So at this point the only dongle I'll consider is the cheap-but-decent Apple one. I'm so happy with the SR25/Andro2020 pairing, it is plenty of DAP for me. I may consider another portable in future, probably something from iFi, the Gryphon looks very capable.

Anyway, that's all just my own experience, and as ever in head-fi YMMV

Jan 7, 2022 at 10:38 AM Post #2,295 of 2,746
Hi all, a few quick questions regarding Apple Music on the SR25:

1. My settings indicate downloads and wifi streaming are hi-res lossless, however when I stream or download an album that clearly states having hi res lossless quality (Coltrane's "A Love Supreme" for example) It shows as 24-bit/44.1 kHz ALAC with the normal Lossless tag. Is that normal? Any album recommendations that you feel make full use of the 24-bit/192 khz lossless format?

2. I want to upgrade storage with a large Micro SD card. Do I need to fiddle with the desktop utility (I'm on a mac) to get apple music to store downloads there instead of the internal memory?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back