Astell & Kern SR25: The next A&norma player
Nov 7, 2020 at 12:46 PM Post #1,037 of 2,746
Nov 8, 2020 at 6:53 PM Post #1,039 of 2,746
after like 2 hours with only 8% battery used.
Charging my SR25 today - @30% batt level!
Heh, I can't remember when I last charged it - probably weeks ago.

To put some context, Hiby R3 Pro is my primary do-everything DAP which I charge about twice/week, while SR25 is my secondary.
I can never go back to sub-10 hour battery life DAPs after these pair of DAPs :)

Last edited:
Nov 8, 2020 at 8:32 PM Post #1,040 of 2,746
Charging my SR25 today (@30%)!
Heh, I can't remember when I last charged it - probably weeks ago.

To put some context, Hiby R3 Pro is my primary do-everything DAP which I charge about twice/week, while SR25 is my secondary.
I can never go back to sub-10 hour battery life DAPs after these pair of DAPs :)

Absolutely, I've a Sony WM1A and they are the kings of battery life (30 Hrs), equally I think that the SR25 strikes the better balance. The Sony DAP's can run out of driving force all too easily with a large array of headgear, and even easy to drive sensitive IEM's can and do benefit from higher current & voltage.

As I've often said once you hear something, it's impossible to unhear and mentally reverse the process. Although the A&K and Sony house sound signatures significantly differ you can still clearly discern a difference in drive and presence with the SR25 with it both calculating and sounding far more powerful than WM1A.

Other DAP's have more drive again however simply run out of battery power all too quickly as the advertised runtimes are generally always based on the lowest common denominator being MP3. I bought one DAP thinking it would be the ideal traveling companion, yet playing predominantly mixed FLAC files I could barely board the aircraft (better days) before the low battery warning made it's presence known.

What I really appreciate about the SR25 is that's it's such a well rounded & balanced DAP that truly offers HQ performance on the go in the real world. Credit where credit is due to A&K...

Q-6

Nov 8, 2020 at 8:51 PM Post #1,041 of 2,746
As I've often said once you hear something, it's impossible to unhear and mentally reverse the process.

I bought one DAP thinking it would be the ideal traveling companion, yet playing predominantly mixed FLAC files I could barely board the aircraft (better days) before the low battery warning made it's presence known.
I always regret auditioning friend's music set-ups. Takes me a couple of weeks to unhear and forget those wallet-bursting sounds.

Took a 3-day train ride across Australia early this year with Hiby R3 Pro (after bushfire/before pandemic). Using local files. Got to the other side with still 11% battery left on the player. The SR25 would have been equal to the task (maybe better). Sigh, good old days!

Last edited:
Nov 8, 2020 at 9:20 PM Post #1,042 of 2,746
I always regret auditioning friend's music set-ups. Takes me a couple of weeks to unhear and forget those wallet-bursting sounds.

Took a 3-day train ride across Australia early this year with Hiby R3 Pro (after bushfire/before pandemic). Using local files. Got to the other side with still 11% battery left on the player. The SR25 would have been equal to the task (maybe better). Sigh, good old days!

Once you hear something it tends to stick, especially if the memory is strong. I'm ideally located to listen/audition the vast majority of audio, I've learnt to either listen to what I can easily afford to walk out the shop with or go in fully knowing that this is just a WOW moment with no possibility of a sale :) Most of all I'm satisfied with what I have and if something pleases and budget permits why not within reason.

Q-6

Nov 9, 2020 at 2:48 AM Post #1,043 of 2,746
I really should load a DSD 256 album on the SR25 to check how drastically that affects battery life.

Nov 10, 2020 at 2:20 PM Post #1,044 of 2,746
Hi all.
Was checking the new A&K Alpha page and seen interesting info as me an active Tidal user.

Is SR25 MQA hardware full decoder? and what is it MQA 8x? thanks in advance. Or this both capabilities are only for Alpha.

Nov 10, 2020 at 9:10 PM Post #1,045 of 2,746
Please a question about how the SR25 copes with albums with and main artist and a guest artist.

What I mean is e.g. The Dido album, Safe Trip Home, has a guest singer for one track. The album had eleven tracks and the name Citizen Cope is associated with track ten. Only my Sony ZX300 the tenth track doesn't list with the album. I end up with a ten track Dido album under 'D' in library. Then a single track by Dido featuring Citizen Cope, listed under 'C'.

Another example is the Tinariwen album called Amadjar. That doesn't even list as an album. It lists each track in the main library, because nine of the tracks feature another artist. Hence it gets a new Artist tag for almost every track.

Have honestly run out of patience with this DAP. Think I might sell it cheap noting the issue. Then buy the SR25.

My question is, please does the A+K SR25 keep albums together? Would I be OK with it, or it would be the same as my Sony?

Last edited:
Nov 14, 2020 at 5:47 AM Post #1,046 of 2,746
Lately I have been streaming a lot if files from my pc with AK Connect. I generally do not have problems with wifi as long as I am not far away. I usually play some playlists from Apple Music streaming with no problems as long as I do not go too far from the source. In my case, AK Connect works flawlessly with normal 16/44 flac files. I can listen for a hours with no cuts, but if I play DSD files then I get annoying cuts and stops.
Otherwise I continue to dig the wonderful sound and tuning of the SR25. I am amazed how good it matches with my Denon Ah-D7200!

Nov 14, 2020 at 8:27 AM Post #1,047 of 2,746
Please a question about how the SR25 copes with albums with and main artist and a guest artist.

What I mean is e.g. The Dido album, Safe Trip Home, has a guest singer for one track. The album had eleven tracks and the name Citizen Cope is associated with track ten. Only my Sony ZX300 the tenth track doesn't list with the album. I end up with a ten track Dido album under 'D' in library. Then a single track by Dido featuring Citizen Cope, listed under 'C'.

Another example is the Tinariwen album called Amadjar. That doesn't even list as an album. It lists each track in the main library, because nine of the tracks feature another artist. Hence it gets a new Artist tag for almost every track.

Have honestly run out of patience with this DAP. Think I might sell it cheap noting the issue. Then buy the SR25.

My question is, please does the A+K SR25 keep albums together? Would I be OK with it, or it would be the same as my Sony?
I have had the same problem with some albums or collections. I listen mainly to classical music. For example Beethoven 9 symphonies Karajan 1963 24/96 is correctly identified as a single album. Then Schubert symphonies Hanoncourt which is again a single album is split by the SR25 into two separate albums, the 5 and 6 in a separate pack. Same thing with a Schumman collection. Then Richard Strauss SACD Rudolf Kempe is turned into three separate albums. It does not happen often to me but it is very annoying. Finally it also happens to me with my Sony Nwa55L.
The artist listing I never use.
i can definitely recomm the SR25 but it is certainly not perfect!
Hope it helps!

Nov 14, 2020 at 9:13 AM Post #1,048 of 2,746
Then Schubert symphonies Hanoncourt which is again a single album is split by the SR25 into two separate albums, the 5 and 6 in a separate pack. Same thing with a Schumman collection. Then Richard Strauss SACD Rudolf Kempe is turned into three separate albums. It does not happen often to me but it is very annoying.
Have you checked tags of corresponding files in some tag editor (for example, TagScanner or Foobar player, that has ability to edit tags)?
Probably there are some differences in "Album" or "Artist" tags, that's why they are separated.

Nov 14, 2020 at 11:50 AM Post #1,050 of 2,746
I bought the sr25 today (onyx black wauwie) i have the D7200 too and indeed wow what a combination. I also have the final e5000 and this is even a beter combination. Marvelous machine! Very pleased :)
Have fun with the new toy!
I also have Final iems but in my case the 4000. I love the sound too. My only criticism is the sound isolation of these iems. In my opinion they both work so much better in the balanced mode, the E4000 and the Denon Ah-d7200. It is not only much more powerful in the SR25 but also sounds better to me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back