Astell & Kern SR25: The next A&norma player
Nov 14, 2020 at 12:07 PM Post #1,051 of 2,753
Have fun with the new toy!
I also have Final iems but in my case the 4000. I love the sound too. My only criticism is the sound isolation of these iems. In my opinion they both work so much better in the balanced mode, the E4000 and the Denon Ah-d7200. It is not only much more powerful in the SR25 but also sounds better to me.
I have a balanced cable on both (the beyerdynamic on the D7200) indeed enough power :)

Nov 14, 2020 at 1:54 PM Post #1,052 of 2,753
Interesting. In my case, when I used the SD card as exFAT I could see the music in the DAP but the DAP couldn't play any of it (I was getting an error code in the player). I was only able to get it to work after I reformatted to FAT32. I used a 512 GB card....
Where’d did you format your card (externally or in the player?), I am having a hellacious time with a brand-new 512 GB SanDisk card that shows an error code with everything I load into it! I’ve never had a problem with any A&K player I’ve owned like this. I have a KANN CUBE with a 1tb SanDisk in it, never has given me any issues!

Last edited:
Nov 14, 2020 at 2:03 PM Post #1,053 of 2,753
Where’d did you format your card (externally or in the player?), I am having a hellacious time with a brand-new 512 GB SanDisk card that shows an error code with everything I load into it!

Try using AOMEI Partition Assistant from de computer and format the SD card in FAT32. Delete and create again the main partition if you need it. The only issue with AOMEI PA is that the free version is restricted to one operation at a time (no bulk option), but it is a minor bother. I had zero problems with mine (although it's 128 GB).

Nov 14, 2020 at 2:44 PM Post #1,054 of 2,753
Try using AOMEI Partition Assistant from de computer and format the SD card in FAT32. Delete and create again the main partition if you need it. The only issue with AOMEI PA is that the free version is restricted to one operation at a time (no bulk option), but it is a minor bother. I had zero problems with mine (although it's 128 GB).

I always use fat32format tool for bigger cards (using a 256gb right now in the sr25) this always works. One negatieve you cannot use big files on fat32. But audio files are no problem.
The tool is free!

Nov 14, 2020 at 3:03 PM Post #1,055 of 2,753
This is very frustrating: I have formatted this card to FAT32, and whenever I move some music over to the card, it gives me an error message when I try to play it. All the artwork and info is there. If I move music over to the internal memory, it plays with no issue. I moved the card over to the KANN CUBE and it had no problem accepting and playing files. I’m on a MAC and have never had any problem with A&K players

Nov 14, 2020 at 3:13 PM Post #1,056 of 2,753
This is very frustrating: I have formatted this card to FAT32, and whenever I move some music over to the card, it gives me an error message when I try to play it. All the artwork and info is there. If I move music over to the internal memory, it plays with no issue. I moved the card over to the KANN CUBE and it had no problem accepting and playing files. I’m on a MAC and have never had any problem with A&K players

Maybe it's a hardware problem. Hope not, but if you don't have another big micro SD card to try and this card works fine everywhere else... Have you tried to reset the SR25? Just in case.

Nov 14, 2020 at 4:01 PM Post #1,057 of 2,753
Where’d did you format your card (externally or in the player?), I am having a hellacious time with a brand-new 512 GB SanDisk card that shows an error code with everything I load into it! I’ve never had a problem with any A&K player I’ve owned like this. I have a KANN CUBE with a 1tb SanDisk in it, never has given me any issues!

Here;
http://ridgecrop.co.uk/index.htm?guiformat.htm

Do a full/deep format with the application first then format in the player.

n.b on of the other members here had a similar issue, which turned out tot be a hardware defect with A&K replacing the player @ post 982.

Q-6

Nov 14, 2020 at 4:37 PM Post #1,058 of 2,753

Use this utility and do an overwrite format. It will take a while. This utility is directly from the SD Association:

https://www.sdcard.org/downloads/formatter/index.html

Then, insert into your DAP and reformat again.

Last edited:
Nov 14, 2020 at 4:48 PM Post #1,059 of 2,753
Nov 14, 2020 at 5:21 PM Post #1,060 of 2,753
No good as it will format the larger cards to exFat the SR25 needs FAT32, the link in my other post is the recommended App by A&K from their FAQ.

Q-6

You are correct about the SD Card Utility and exFat. That's why I said to reformat in the DAP (to get to FAT32) afterwards. I like to use the official SD utility because I believe it can correct partition table errors, etc... Also, it works on a Mac which is what he indicated he was using.

Options are good... :wink:

Last edited:
Nov 14, 2020 at 5:35 PM Post #1,061 of 2,753
You are correct about the SD Card Utility and exFat. That's why I said to reformat in the DAP (to get to FAT32) afterwards. I like to use the official SD utility because I believe it can correct partition table errors, etc... Also, it works on a Mac which is what he indicated he was using.

Options are good... :wink:

It might do and it costs nothing but time :) Should be able to get FAT32 Formatter working on the Mac with an application wrapper like WINE. I just hope it can be corrected or just a bad SD card as last one like this was the actual card reader in the DAP. My own SR25 has been impeccable in use. Overall the SR25 is a very good DAP for an acceptable price point, better if you can snag the 128GB model :) A&K have a winner here as long as they don't do anything untoward with the firmware.

Q-6

Nov 14, 2020 at 6:46 PM Post #1,062 of 2,753
As mentioned few posts earlier, I also use Guiformat for flash memory formatting beyond 32GB.
http://www.ridgecrop.demon.co.uk/index.htm?guiformat.htm

The old FAT32 format, generally, has faster & simpler processing needs - but has lower security & integrity than more modern file systems.
It also has file size limitations and, iirc, Guiformat addresses some of these issues.

Nov 15, 2020 at 3:18 AM Post #1,063 of 2,753
I have had the same problem with some albums or collections. I listen mainly to classical music. For example Beethoven 9 symphonies Karajan 1963 24/96 is correctly identified as a single album. Then Schubert symphonies Hanoncourt which is again a single album is split by the SR25 into two separate albums, the 5 and 6 in a separate pack. Same thing with a Schumman collection. Then Richard Strauss SACD Rudolf Kempe is turned into three separate albums. It does not happen often to me but it is very annoying. Finally it also happens to me with my Sony Nwa55L.
The artist listing I never use.
i can definitely recomm the SR25 but it is certainly not perfect!
Hope it helps!

I posted in the ZX300 thread and there was a solution. My ZX300 is working fine now.

This line from the following link was the solution.

Also you can go into playback settings and choose organize by álbum artist or song artist.

This was the post. Post #11,862 of 11,868

Hope you can see the same on your SR25.

Last edited:
Nov 15, 2020 at 9:54 AM Post #1,064 of 2,753
Here;
http://ridgecrop.co.uk/index.htm?guiformat.htm

Do a full/deep format with the application first then format in the player.

n.b on of the other members here had a similar issue, which turned out tot be a hardware defect with A&K replacing the player @ post 982.

Q-6
That’s Me in Post 982! This is my second player and another brand-new SanDisk Extreme card! Super frustrating! Even though I’m still wrestling with this, thanks for everyone’s help!

Nov 15, 2020 at 11:10 AM Post #1,065 of 2,753
That’s Me in Post 982! This is my second player and another brand-new SanDisk Extreme card! Super frustrating! Even though I’m still wrestling with this, thanks for everyone’s help!
WOW that not so good...

Q-6

Users who are viewing this thread

Back