Astell & Kern SR25: The next A&norma player
Nov 2, 2020 at 4:09 PM Post #1,008 of 2,746
1. I am using a BT Smart Hub 2, the most advanced by British Telecom - its specs are actually really good "The Smart Hub 2 provides 7 antennas uniquely positioned to maximise power, the latest Wi-Fi technology, smart channel selection, smart scan and clever app-based services to help them set up and manage their home Wi-Fi. BT Smart Hub 2 comes with 2 DECT antennas and integrated support for Ultrafast broadband"
2. Additionally I have 3 Mesh WiFi Discs through the house and an Airport Extreme.
3. I tried connecting to all of the different access points they provide @ 2.4GHz - no difference.
4. I have multiple devices connected to them - no issues whatsoever - video streamers, TV's, audio streamers, lights, heating, etc.. :). I put the SR25 basically next to the router (about 3 meters) - connection is always showing between good and excellent.
5. It is lke the SR25 decides to put the connection to "sleep" after a certain period of time - once you press the power button to bring the screen back on and press play it reconnects with no problem and continues playing...

So my take on the AK SR25 so far:
- Sound/Interface - impressive - will not go technical, there are better and more experienced people in this forum!
- AK Connect - brilliant idea if it worked for more than minutes - since it depends on Wifi, it also disconnects after a certain period of time... I would love to use my IPAD to remote control it while it is playing its impressive sound through a line out to my audio equipment. Pity.
- Line Out - brilliant - although it took me sometime to understand you have first to fiddle with the volume control and actually press "Line Out" on the screen for it to activate :) and then you can not touch the volume control anymore or line out disconnects :) This is smart, but I did not find anywhere in the manual that describes this two-step process. Google saved me :)
- BT - seems to work really well, if you keep devices close. Identifies the codec to use, lets you know it when you connect, no issues.
- AK Customer Support - do they really exist? For weeks now I sent them messages via their website, via their Europe support at Iriver, and not even an automated acknowledgement that they received the query. I sent a private PM yesterday to the AK rep in this forum, who is extremely silent on this issue, who knows? Maybe he/she will respond.

As a DAP is brilliant. As everything else they try to sell it for - android based, access to apps (I have no problem they have to whitelist it - although I will lose BBC iPlayer until they decide to whitelist the replacement BBC Sounds), AK Connect, it is lousy - and their customer support, at least from my experience, inexistent.

If they at least acknowledge they may have a problem and commit to resolve it on an upcoming firmware upgrade - but since they do not acknowledge their existence, this may not be possible.

The question is then - do I keep it and forget about WiFi, Ak Connect and Apps? Or do I return it, get a refund and move on?
I apologize for the delay. I received your PM over the weekend during non-business hours. Just getting through a few PMs that came in before yours and will respond to your PM in about 10 minutes.

Astell&Kern Stay updated on Astell&Kern at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/astellnkern/ https://twitter.com/astell_kern https://www.instagram.com/astellnkern.official/ https://astellnkern.com astellnkern@astellnkern.com
Nov 2, 2020 at 4:10 PM Post #1,010 of 2,746
corrected

Last edited:
Nov 2, 2020 at 4:14 PM Post #1,011 of 2,746
Sometimes these smart devices are not so smart. I’d try every channel in fixed mode (there are only a few for 2.4 GHz) to see if it helps. And maybe get a WiFi analyzer app to see which channel is least congested.
Thanks, did it - no success - it provided me the choice of Channel 1, 6, 11 - same result - streams max 5-7 minutes.

And I have to say the device (or hub) seems to be smart enough for all the remaining devices I have connected to it, for months... Except the SR25 for the last two weeks :)

Last edited:
Nov 2, 2020 at 4:40 PM Post #1,012 of 2,746
Thanks, did it - no success - it provided me the choice of Channel 1, 6, 11 - same result - streams max 5-7 minutes.

And I have to say the device (or hub) seems to be smart enough for all the remaining devices I have connected to it, for months... Except the SR25 for the last two weeks :)
Just sent you a PM

Astell&Kern Stay updated on Astell&Kern at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/astellnkern/ https://twitter.com/astell_kern https://www.instagram.com/astellnkern.official/ https://astellnkern.com astellnkern@astellnkern.com
Nov 2, 2020 at 5:56 PM Post #1,016 of 2,746
4. I have multiple devices connected to them - no issues whatsoever - video streamers, TV's, audio streamers, lights, heating, etc.. :). I put the SR25 basically next to the router (about 3 meters) - connection is always showing between good and excellent.
5. It is lke the SR25 decides to put the connection to "sleep" after a certain period of time - once you press the power button to bring the screen back on and press play it reconnects with no problem and continues playing...

The question is then - do I keep it and forget about WiFi, Ak Connect and Apps? Or do I return it, get a refund and move on?
Did you try assigning static IP on the SR25 (under show advance options)? So as to rule out IP contention issues with your other devices.

I hardly use local storage due to tidal streaming so, for me, any major wifi issue on SR25 would have been a deal breaker, but none so far. While folks with lots of local music files might probably feel it less of an issue.

Nov 2, 2020 at 6:08 PM Post #1,017 of 2,746
I too was hesitant to purchase knowing there was this concern. Fortunately I have had no issues. I have even been able to stream Tidal while mowing the lawn with my router inside the house an me on the mower at least a 100 ft away. I guess I am lucky or there is something else going on for those unfortunate enough to have these problems.

Nov 2, 2020 at 6:39 PM Post #1,018 of 2,746
WiFi has not been any issue for me, admittedly I'm not a big streamer far preferring to own my music. Streaming I tend to reserve for music discovery, so far the SR25 has connected flawlessly without any dropouts via our home MESH router system.

Overall I'm very pleased with the SR25, it's slightly warmer balanced sound signature, smooth tonality. I want to enjoy my music, not analyse it and pick it apart Bit by Bit. I'm rather hoping the new Kann Alpha will have a similar rich tonality. Waiting locally to demo, however seeing some owners of the Alpha stating that the DAP isn't best suited for bright IEM's which sadly infers a brighter sound signature.

As ever time will tell...

Q-6

Nov 3, 2020 at 5:54 AM Post #1,019 of 2,746
Did you try assigning static IP on the SR25 (under show advance options)? So as to rule out IP contention issues with your other devices.

I hardly use local storage due to tidal streaming so, for me, any major wifi issue on SR25 would have been a deal breaker, but none so far. While folks with lots of local music files might probably feel it less of an issue.
Thanks - I had actually not tried that before.... Unfortunately, still the same problem. Streams for 5-7 minutes, disconnects from the network, you wake its screen by pressing the power button, automatically reconnects...

Nov 3, 2020 at 6:26 PM Post #1,020 of 2,746
Thanks - I had actually not tried that before.... Unfortunately, still the same problem. Streams for 5-7 minutes, disconnects from the network, you wake its screen by pressing the power button, automatically reconnects...
Last few tips I can think to try out (more like stab-in-the-dark):
1) Change authentication method on the your router. Try a less computation-intensive encryption. Read about their pros/cons before testing.
2) If these settings are accessible on the your router; try playing with DTIM interval, WMM and/or MU-MIMO. Default always works for me but, on-paper, these settings can affect wifi connection power levels and sleep states.
Be careful with these changes as they can/will royally mess up your entire wifi system.

3) Lastly, as a final resort. I would buy a used/cheap Access Point, or a router that can be configured as an AP. Hang the AP off your existing router and set the AP to solely talk to the SR25. I think this would have the highest chance of bypassing the wifi problem you are having with SR25.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back