Astell & Kern SR25: The next A&norma player
Oct 27, 2020 at 10:09 PM Post #976 of 2,748
If in a case I'll just use the wired connection to transfer, if not I'll pop the SD card as the reader in the PC is much faster than the DAP's internal for bulk transfer. So far so good no problems either ways with the SR25 whatsoever :) Really like this DAP soon as I listened to one I knew I'd pick one up sooner or later and regionally we have 64/128 options, which sealed the deal.

Is beyond me why the likes of the new Kann Alpha, for that matter all regions don't have the same, as 64GB is poor IMO nor is the 128 model vastly different in price. TBH with two very similar DAP's the internal storage would win me over. One of the reasons I didn't pre order the Kann Alpha is the paltry storage in a four figure DAP as in my region genuine SD cards remain to be overly expensive in a sea of counterfeits.

A&K have done a tremendous job with the SR25 IMO, would also like to see the new Kann Alpha to see what it offers, having already seen SA700 & SE200, preferring the SR25. Back to the KANN Alpha, 64GB on a $1K+ DAP? A&K do us all a favour and stop being cheap, as it's far from apricated and potentially costing you sales...

Q-6

Last edited:
Oct 28, 2020 at 4:07 AM Post #977 of 2,748
Aside from regularly checking APKpure for the newest Tidal release, is there actually anyway to update Tidal from within the SR25? Seems like a bit of a pain to be manually transferring the apk each time, is there anything that A&K could do to enable this?

Oct 28, 2020 at 4:36 AM Post #978 of 2,748
Aside from regularly checking APKpure for the newest Tidal release, is there actually anyway to update Tidal from within the SR25? Seems like a bit of a pain to be manually transferring the apk each time, is there anything that A&K could do to enable this?
I really doubt this will change, this process is what is meant by “side-loading” of apps. I think I read somewhere this is the only way A&K and other DAP manufacturers can make 3rd party streaming apps available with the ability to download for offline use.

How often do you really have to update Tidal?

i did once because a Tidal bug was forcing me to redownload albums that I had already downloaded, but haven’t had that problem since the 2.30 version...

Oct 28, 2020 at 5:34 AM Post #979 of 2,748
I really doubt this will change, this process is what is meant by “side-loading” of apps. I think I read somewhere this is the only way A&K and other DAP manufacturers can make 3rd party streaming apps available with the ability to download for offline use.

How often do you really have to update Tidal?

i did once because a Tidal bug was forcing me to redownload albums that I had already downloaded, but haven’t had that problem since the 2.30 version...

I suppose you're right about not having to really update to the latest version if it ain't broke. I think I'm coming more from the perspective of expected experience when using an app, independent of platform, is that you can update it simply being connected online. The side load is a good solution to providing the ability to download music, but it's like a half baked solution that doesn't quite get to where it should be. Since side loading is possible, why not have a solution that enables owners to simply download directly from the OS as a store (which helps limit the available apps), and then provide the updates through the store too? That's pretty consistent with how people use smart devices right?

Music is undoubtedly core to the DAP, but the experience that support the listening experience of music is arguably equally just as important (I'm referring to not only updating Tidal, but Qobuz etc.). With the lineup that A&K has, the benefits wouldn't be limited to only one product line and would be accessible to all owners of A&K products since the OS is used across all of them 🤷‍♂️

One can dream of such features in future OS updates.

Oct 28, 2020 at 5:55 AM Post #980 of 2,748
I suppose you're right about not having to really update to the latest version if it ain't broke. I think I'm coming more from the perspective of expected experience when using an app, independent of platform, is that you can update it simply being connected online. The side load is a good solution to providing the ability to download music, but it's like a half baked solution that doesn't quite get to where it should be. Since side loading is possible, why not have a solution that enables owners to simply download directly from the OS as a store (which helps limit the available apps), and then provide the updates through the store too? That's pretty consistent with how people use smart devices right?

Music is undoubtedly core to the DAP, but the experience that support the listening experience of music is arguably equally just as important (I'm referring to not only updating Tidal, but Qobuz etc.). With the lineup that A&K has, the benefits wouldn't be limited to only one product line and would be accessible to all owners of A&K products since the OS is used across all of them 🤷‍♂️

One can dream of such features in future OS updates.
I totally get where you are coming from, 10+ years in the iOS world has got me used to automatic app updates from apple's App Store. But I think I commented on this earlier in the thread, even though the SR25 looks and feels a bit like a phone, and uses a phone OS underneath, it’s not a phone.

i dont know enough about Android to know what A&K would have to do to their device OS to be able to support their own App Store hosting the approved streaming apps, but tbh, I’d rather they not bother with any of that and just do what they know best and focus on making portable devices that sound great..

Oct 28, 2020 at 7:28 AM Post #981 of 2,748
Subjective question I know but please bear with:

I’ve just put U2’s Rattle and Hum on my AK Jr (44/96 so granted not amazing quality) and then did a “back to back” on my iPhone—>Chord Mojo from Amazon HD and the difference is night and day. I’ve been toying with an SR25 using Amazon HD Music, how does it compare with the Mojo from IPhone? Anything like? Ideally I’d like the convenience of a separate player to free up my phone and not drain the battery.

Any thoughts? Thanks in advance

Oct 28, 2020 at 6:58 PM Post #982 of 2,748
Regretfully, a brand-new and freshly-formatted SanDisk Extreme MicroSD card still didn’t function in the SR25. The SR25 refused to even acknowledge the presence of the card. Any music loaded onto it, would not play. Astell&Kern is sending me out a brand-new unit in exchange. First time something like this has ever happened.

Oct 28, 2020 at 9:10 PM Post #983 of 2,748
Regretfully, a brand-new and freshly-formatted SanDisk Extreme MicroSD card still didn’t function in the SR25. The SR25 refused to even acknowledge the presence of the card. Any music loaded onto it, would not play. Astell&Kern is sending me out a brand-new unit in exchange. First time something like this has ever happened.

Pity, but at least you got it resolved and A&K stepped up quickly.

Q-6

Oct 28, 2020 at 11:03 PM Post #984 of 2,748
Just upgraded from my fiio x7 gen 1 to SR25. Knew I wanted one since demoing at canjam NY earlier this year... has anyone played around with the USB DAC fuction? Any latency? Figured I might play around with it since it's unlikely I'll be going outside much.

Oct 28, 2020 at 11:14 PM Post #985 of 2,748
Onyx Black SR25 available for a limited time.

https://us.astellnkern.com/products/a-norma-sr25

1603941214693.png

Oct 28, 2020 at 11:19 PM Post #986 of 2,748
Just upgraded from my fiio x7 gen 1 to SR25. Knew I wanted one since demoing at canjam NY earlier this year... has anyone played around with the USB DAC fuction? Any latency? Figured I might play around with it since it's unlikely I'll be going outside much.
Yes, I did mess around with USB DAC on the SR25 while I figured out what desktop DAC to get.

I think the problems I had were more to do with either Tidal or the USB out from my MBP, but I never got Tidal Exclusive Mode to work properly with the SR25. Sound volume would drop to near 0, had to unplug everything to try to start again. Gave up after this frustration and just used the SR25 standalone, and then line out to desktop amp.

I had kind of forgotten about this since getting the desktop rig. But one other change that I’ve made that I should test is I’ve now got SoundSource on the Mac to control audio, maybe that will fix the USB problem.

Oct 29, 2020 at 2:23 AM Post #987 of 2,748
Wow, me too. I am a little awkward with the new settings ( I miss the presets of the X7) but I use the Fiio A5 and Schiit Valhalla II to drive my Shure SE846's and Sennheiser HD 800S.They both work well together with the SR25.
I liked my X7 but the lack of support and the inability of Fiio to resolve obvious problems lead me here, If you have any tips or tricks please pass them on. I would like to hear of your impressions as well.

Oct 29, 2020 at 3:05 AM Post #988 of 2,748
Wow, me too. I am a little awkward with the new settings ( I miss the presets of the X7) but I use the Fiio A5 and Schiit Valhalla II to drive my Shure SE846's and Sennheiser HD 800S.They both work well together with the SR25.
I liked my X7 but the lack of support and the inability of Fiio to resolve obvious problems lead me here, If you have any tips or tricks please pass them on. I would like to hear of your impressions as well.

Haven't done anything too interesting, just enjoying the music.

My main reason to upgrade was to get rid of the hiss when pairing with Zeus, but right now I don't have mine with me so I'm listening with EE's Valkyrie. No background noise that I can pick up.

Compared to the X7 the SR25 sounds slightly warmer although it's still very natural sounding. I think the X7 (with the original AM3 amp) was very cold in sound. Treble's a little smoother I think with the SR25.

Honestly I'm just so happy with how small and light the player is, and the battery of course. And yes I'm very happy to not have to use the X7 anymore... very sad that I bought it at flagship used price and then 2 months later the x7ii came out.

Last edited:
Oct 29, 2020 at 11:04 AM Post #989 of 2,748
Hello all. I'm new too in the DAPs world and I'm looking for a real nice sounding DAP under 1200 € or so.
It will be my first DAP, but I'm decided to begin with a very good product.
I plan to use it at home and on the go as well, and I'm prioritizing sound quality overall but, of course, there're other needs involved like Tidal and MQA decoding (including offline content), 2.5 & 3.5 connectors at least, decent battery life, nice OS experience...

SR25 is the first option because it checks a lot of the boxes, but it would be great to have some input from users that have owned (or listened to for some days at least) 3+ DAPs at this level or higher to help me with my lack of experience with DAPs. I don't mind if at this price point there's another DAP that sounds a pinch better, but I'd hate to buy a DAP like SR25 for 850€ and find another one for 1100-1200 € that is a real jump regarding sound quality, presentation...

Sadly, as a lot of people these days, I cannot listen to the DAPs physically before purchasing them, so I've read/viewed all the reviews I was able to find, most of the replies in his thread (and the other one here in head-fi too) and finally made an idea to begin with (although I don't know most of reviewers and their sound preferences, so I find hard to get some information sometimes).

So if anyone can help, some useful info:

I listen to 90% Tidal (including MQA files) and some other music (10%) in wav 24/44.1 or flac 24/96.
Classical music only represents the 5-10% of the music I listen to nowadays. 80% is mainly jazz, rock, metal and progressive rock/metal, so I don't enjoy a lot the "cold" sound of some of the most analytical DACs.
In general lines I like full and impactful sound. The "big" one. And I know for sure which of my IEMs offer that, so that would not be a limitation. I'm not a bass head, but always enjoy a good rumble and like a lot impactful and not recessed mid/high bass but without adding.
I'm planning to pair the DAP basically with NCM Bella IEMs (very sensitive, a pinch below Andro's lvl, I think) and LZ A6 (harder to drive due to the piezo driver). Maybe some day I'll get some planar headphone (next year's Christmas?), but I plan to eventually get a desktop amp if this is the case.

The simple question would be: Would you purchase SR25 again with a 1200 € budget?
And a bonus, because I've read really different opinions: Sonically SR25 is better than M15?

Oct 29, 2020 at 3:06 PM Post #990 of 2,748
I'm using the SR25 with the Solaris 2020 and I'm very satisfied, because:
- really no hiss
- coloured music like with the Hifiman 1000 V2
- no problem with the power (50/160 on the A&K is really loud enough)

After tons of research and help from great seniors like the one quoted above, I finally bought 64 Audio u12t. It is well worth investing in SR25 and u12t. It is an understatement to say these are one of the best sounding music equipments I have ever purchased in my life.

If anyone is thinking about SR25 (and pairing them with high-end IEM) then go ahead without any shadow of doubt. Battery life itself kills all the competition. Highly recommended!

Edit: Corrections.

Attachments

• 20201030_003508.jpg
    20201030_003508.jpg
    1,002.1 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back