Astell & Kern SR25: The next A&norma player
Aug 10, 2020 at 10:35 AM Post #707 of 2,746
Anyone know how to get the player to update so you can view your new music? Do you have to rebuild every time you add music?
I haven't found a command in the settings except the rebuild, but usually a power down and power up works for me as it scans the card on power up.

Aug 12, 2020 at 12:54 AM Post #709 of 2,746
I got my SR25 today. Unlike (fortunately) I haven’t experienced any wifi issues. I have been listening and downloading to/from Qobuz without hiccups.
My UE 18+ do wonders with this DAP

Attachments

• E9861EC4-F11C-4D08-BD32-DD76A9FFC7DE.jpeg
    E9861EC4-F11C-4D08-BD32-DD76A9FFC7DE.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 0
Aug 12, 2020 at 6:28 PM Post #710 of 2,746
As someone who strongly dislikes Android, can you guys comment on how unobtrusive (or intrusive) the Android-like aspects of this player are?

I just got the iBasso DX160 and while it sounds great, especially for its price, I can’t deal with Android. Primarily, things like crashes, insane amounts of settings that are incredibly difficult to know what they will change, and worst of all when apps and settings “collide” with each other and cause annoying behaviors. I want the physical buttons to adjust whatever app I currently have open, whether or not the screen is on, for example. I don’t want it to randomly start playing music from another app I used earlier that is still open in some partial state and is conflicting with the current app.

That aside, I mostly listen using local flac files. How would you rate this player compared to other daps in this range as far as UI flexibility within the stock app?

Lastly, can anyone who has heard the Sony WM1A make any comparison in sound quality between it and the SR25?

Thanks!

Aug 12, 2020 at 7:00 PM Post #711 of 2,746
As someone who strongly dislikes Android, can you guys comment on how unobtrusive (or intrusive) the Android-like aspects of this player are?

I just got the iBasso DX160 and while it sounds great, especially for its price, I can’t deal with Android. Primarily, things like crashes, insane amounts of settings that are incredibly difficult to know what they will change, and worst of all when apps and settings “collide” with each other and cause annoying behaviors. I want the physical buttons to adjust whatever app I currently have open, whether or not the screen is on, for example. I don’t want it to randomly start playing music from another app I used earlier that is still open in some partial state and is conflicting with the current app.

That aside, I mostly listen using local flac files. How would you rate this player compared to other daps in this range as far as UI flexibility within the stock app?

Lastly, can anyone who has heard the Sony WM1A make any comparison in sound quality between it and the SR25?

Thanks!

The SR25 is the first Android-based device I’ve had since I was stuck using a crappy old Motorola fire-somethingorother 8 years ago. I absolutely hated that phone and It’s been all iOS and macOS for me ever since.

A&K have done a fine job with the OS on the SR25, I would hardly notice the android-ness of it at all. A&K strictly whitelist the apk apps that you can sideload to prevent the crashes and other janky android behavior you mention. The stock music app seems just fine for me, although I haven’t got a lot of ripped CDs loaded on it yet, I’m mostly using Tidal online and offline.

The device does have its own little navigation quirks, but nothing you can’t get used to, and it pretty much just gets out of the way of you enjoying how great the SR25 sounds.

Try to have a demo of one to convince yourself if you can, but I wouldn’t say the UI is a problem at all.

Aug 12, 2020 at 8:24 PM Post #712 of 2,746
Is it true that transferring files between the SR25 and a Mac is difficult and buggy?

Also, I saw a comment on Twisters review saying the player scans their large media library every time it boots up and it causes lag and glitches- has anyone experienced this?

Aug 12, 2020 at 8:51 PM Post #713 of 2,746
Is it true that transferring files between the SR25 and a Mac is difficult and buggy?

Also, I saw a comment on Twisters review saying the player scans their large media library every time it boots up and it causes lag and glitches- has anyone experienced this?

I haven’t found any issues transferring files from the Mac to the SR25. Had to install android file transfer on the Mac from A&K website first, but that was no fuss.

I don’t have a particularly large library, so I don’t notice any lag when I turn on the device.

Aug 12, 2020 at 9:08 PM Post #714 of 2,746
Since Apple does not include native support for Android-based devices in MacOS, you will need to use a third party file manager software that supports Android devices to transfer files from a Mac. You can download Android File Transfer for Mac for free from Google. If you are looking for a more robust file manager to use, I would suggest checking out Commander One Pro, available for a small fee in the Mac App Store. The free version does not have Android support, only the paid version.

The player will scan in the background the first few times it is used or a large amount of files are transferred to it. I usually recommend if you transfer a large amount of files, to run a manual media scan after to fully index all the new files and save the background scan. Depending on how many files you have located in internal memory and microSD card, it can take up to 10 - 15 minutes to do a full scan when running a manual scan.

Astell&Kern Stay updated on Astell&Kern at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/astellnkern/ https://twitter.com/astell_kern https://www.instagram.com/astellnkern.official/ https://astellnkern.com astellnkern@astellnkern.com
Aug 12, 2020 at 10:51 PM Post #715 of 2,746

I just connect the micro-DS card directly to my Mac and transfer music files, it much, much quicker too. When I need to update side loaded apk apps, I just connect the DAP to a Windows virtual machine I run on my Mac with VMWare fusion - works like a champ.

Aug 13, 2020 at 4:38 AM Post #716 of 2,746

Thanks!

I come also from the Apple world and do not have a lot of Android experience. I had briefly a Sony nwa-105 android dap. I returned it because of the volume cap of European models and the poor battery life. The android user interface of the player was simply excellent, just like a phone and not very dissimilar to my Iphone Xr, but the downside was that battery life was very poor. The Sony thread is full of tricks to change the settings but even with those battery depleted like crazy with streaming. From what I have read in the Sony thread the 507 is better but still battery is rather poor. I believe the SR25 can only have good battery life because it has a severely limited android system with very few apps available. Also the apps, at least in my experience, work very well and in hires in the SR25. Some android players have a lot problems with reproducing hires because of the native limitations of android. The sony players had also these problems but seem to have solve them recently.
Compared with the sony players, the player of local files works just as well.
Sound quality, the SR 25 beats the sonys 55L and 105 eyes closed, but that should be so since it is in a different price league. The comparable sony player would be the 507, but I have not heard it and cannot compare.
For me, the ideal world would be a user interface like the sony, the sound quality and battery of the SR25, but that does not exist today I believe, at least in this price. I can do everything else with my iphone, so the SR25 is a very good solution just for music.

Aug 13, 2020 at 3:02 PM Post #717 of 2,746
Since Apple does not include native support for Android-based devices in MacOS, you will need to use a third party file manager software that supports Android devices to transfer files from a Mac. You can download Android File Transfer for Mac for free from Google. If you are looking for a more robust file manager to use, I would suggest checking out Commander One Pro, available for a small fee in the Mac App Store. The free version does not have Android support, only the paid version.

The player will scan in the background the first few times it is used or a large amount of files are transferred to it. I usually recommend if you transfer a large amount of files, to run a manual media scan after to fully index all the new files and save the background scan. Depending on how many files you have located in internal memory and microSD card, it can take up to 10 - 15 minutes to do a full scan when running a manual scan.
I am new here and just ordered the SR25...How do you initiate the manual scan...by doing a first level reset?
Also, when you add the microSD card, is there a folder needed? I like to have a folder structure like Music as the main folder and under that the specific Genres and under that folders for every Artist...Will that work? Thanks again... Puertex

Aug 13, 2020 at 3:07 PM Post #718 of 2,746
I am new here and just ordered the SR25...How do you initiate the manual scan...by doing a first level reset?
Also, when you add the microSD card, is there a folder needed? I like to have a folder structure like Music as the main folder and under that the specific Genres and under that folders for every Artist...Will that work? Thanks again... Puertex
To run a manual scan - Settings -> System Reset -> Initialize media scan

You can set up folder on the microSD card and view the just the microSD card folders using the folder view. The player will take all files regardless of whether they are in internal memory or microSD card and group them all together and they can be sorted by Album, Artist or Genre. You will need to make sure the ID3 tags for each song are correct to ensure they sort by album/artist/song correctly.

Astell&Kern Stay updated on Astell&Kern at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/astellnkern/ https://twitter.com/astell_kern https://www.instagram.com/astellnkern.official/ https://astellnkern.com astellnkern@astellnkern.com
Aug 13, 2020 at 3:23 PM Post #719 of 2,746
To run a manual scan - Settings -> System Reset -> Initialize media scan

You can set up folder on the microSD card and view the just the microSD card folders using the folder view. The player will take all files regardless of whether they are in internal memory or microSD card and group them all together and they can be sorted by Album, Artist or Genre. You will need to make sure the ID3 tags for each song are correct to ensure they sort by album/artist/song correctly.
Thanks for the quick reply! For organizational purposes I intend to use a 200 Gig card and leave the internal memory free... Maybe use it to load apps and downloads from Spotify if it is supported. I already have about 100 Gigs of music on a different device and I know the file structure willl be read with no problem...Very excited to get the SR25...

Aug 13, 2020 at 4:08 PM Post #720 of 2,746
Point is that you can’t rely on WiFi out and around, that’s the advantage of the SR25, you can load up the internal storage or microSD with as much as you want with content on the go. I'm only using about 50gb of my 400gb card so far, and I reckon I’ve got maybe 150 'albums' worth of Tidal downloaded.
When you have 10,000 tracks on the device, I find I don't need the app streaming...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back