Astell & Kern SR25: The next A&norma player
Aug 8, 2020 at 8:54 PM Post #692 of 2,746
Went ahead and pulled the trigger on this despite the wifi drop concerns. I get infusion therapy every two weeks and bought this to stream Tidal. Does the included app or the addon app work better for just streaming? It will go back if the wifi drops out in the infusion center. Probably will go then with plan B Fiio M11 Pro.

Aug 8, 2020 at 9:36 PM Post #693 of 2,746
Went ahead and pulled the trigger on this despite the wifi drop concerns. I get infusion therapy every two weeks and bought this to stream Tidal. Does the included app or the addon app work better for just streaming? It will go back if the wifi drops out in the infusion center. Probably will go then with plan B Fiio M11 Pro.

Both the included Tidal app and the side loaded apk stream the same. You can use the latter to load up with downloaded content for offline use if the wifi is spotty. FWIW I have had 0 wifi issues since getting a decent mesh system at home.

Aug 8, 2020 at 9:39 PM Post #694 of 2,746
Not concerned about at home. Got the big system with the Lumin for home.

Aug 9, 2020 at 3:18 AM Post #695 of 2,746
Not concerned about at home. Got the big system with the Lumin for home.
Point is that you can’t rely on WiFi out and around, that’s the advantage of the SR25, you can load up the internal storage or microSD with as much as you want with content on the go. I'm only using about 50gb of my 400gb card so far, and I reckon I’ve got maybe 150 'albums' worth of Tidal downloaded.

Aug 9, 2020 at 8:52 AM Post #696 of 2,746
Point is that you can’t rely on WiFi out and around, that’s the advantage of the SR25, you can load up the internal storage or microSD with as much as you want with content on the go. I'm only using about 50gb of my 400gb card so far, and I reckon I’ve got maybe 150 'albums' worth of Tidal downloaded.

Call me fickle, flighty, scatterbrained, indecisive or just an eejit but what I downloaded the night before is not necessarily what I want to listen to the next morning. I want the ability(freedom) to listen to what I am in the mood for at that moment when I sit down in the infusion chair. That's the point! If the SR25 is not fully able to supply that capability then back it goes.

Aug 9, 2020 at 8:54 AM Post #697 of 2,746
Call me fickle, flighty, scatterbrained, indecisive or just an eejit but what I downloaded the night before is not necessarily what I want to listen to the next morning. I want the ability(freedom) to listen to what I am in the mood for at that moment when I sit down in the infusion chair. That's the point! If the SR25 is not fully able to supply that capability then back it goes.
What I've found is that if I start downloading an album or a playlist and wait a few seconds for the first track to download I can then listen to the rest of it while the other tracks download in the background. I've come to live with the short pause to start, but no problems after that.
But I agree that the SR25 should be fixed to eliminate these problems. I wish A&K would weigh in on them, but total silence as far as I can tell.

Aug 9, 2020 at 9:13 AM Post #698 of 2,746
But I agree that the SR25 should be fixed to eliminate these problems. I wish A&K would weigh in on them, but total silence as far as I can tell.
IMHO, A&K support should be advising if it's likely a unit-specific hardware issue or a firmware fixable issue.
Tidal streaming is a major feature on SR25 and users shouldn't need to have to workaround it.
Hopefully, it's just early teething problems for an otherwise very likeable DAP for its features, design and SQ.

Aug 9, 2020 at 3:54 PM Post #700 of 2,746

SR25 doesn’t have 4G, so you can’t always rely on internet streaming when you’re on the go.

If you can’t rely on wifi when you’re out and around, then you probably just want to use your phones 4G, or hotspot the SR25.

Aug 9, 2020 at 4:43 PM Post #701 of 2,746
It only has to work two places: Home and the Infusion Center. I really do not expect a problem at home where I plan to connect it to my AVR to stream to my speaker system. It will be only about 10 ft from the router. This will be my first DAP. What cable(s) will I need and what method will I use to feed through my Sony AVR to speaker system?

Aug 9, 2020 at 4:52 PM Post #702 of 2,746
It only has to work two places: Home and the Infusion Center. I really do not expect a problem at home where I plan to connect it to my AVR to stream to my speaker system. It will be only about 10 ft from the router. This will be my first DAP. What cable(s) will I need and what method will I use to feed through my Sony AVR to speaker system?
3.5mm line out to RCA should do it.

Aug 9, 2020 at 4:54 PM Post #703 of 2,746
3.5mm not balanced? Is line out only through 3.5?

Aug 9, 2020 at 7:03 PM Post #705 of 2,746

Users who are viewing this thread

Back