Astell & Kern SR25: The next A&norma player
Jul 31, 2020 at 12:12 PM Post #661 of 2,746
How well does this power the HD600/650/6XX?

And what about the HE4XX?

It doesn't power my 6XX well at all. Have to go to 130-140/150 to get good volume but still feels underpowered.

I stack ifi xCan with SR25, plenty of power then.

I generally find SR25 works best with IEMs. Even low impedance over ears like Monolith M570 sound much better when fed through a dedicated amp, not through SR25 directly.

Please keep in mind this feedback is based on using headphones in single-ended output only.

Balanced output has more power. Just waiting for my balanced cables from Hart Audio to arrive to test balanced output on SR25 directly and on xCan, too.

Jul 31, 2020 at 6:40 PM Post #662 of 2,746
Anyone driving 64 Audio u12t with their SR25?? I've linked some up and wanted to get an idea if I needed anything to make run properly.

Also concerned that the u12t might have lost bass levels than I'm used to (currently running se846) - anyone played with the EQ yet? Made any difference?

Jul 31, 2020 at 8:07 PM Post #663 of 2,746
After the messages about headphones and iems used with the SR25, please let me give you my opinion. I believe that this player works extremelly well with easy to drive headphones and iems. I have tried everything I and my family have. I will give you my opinion as to performance.
  • Sennheiser HD 599 impedance 50 Ohms, slp 106 db (1 vrms) max volume 100 out of 150. The SR 25 drives this effortlessly and my favorite sound by far with a balanced cable
  • Denon Ah-D900 32 Ohms, 106 db, old vintage headphones, also easy to drive and sound wonderful with the SR25, but uncomfortable.
  • Sony WH-1000xm3 47 Ohms 104,5 db, Max volume 110. Again driven effortlessly with the cable connection
  • Final audio E4000. 15 Ohms 97 db, balanced cable. Sounds amazing with the Sr25.
  • Sennheiser cx 5.00i 18 Ohms 118 db, very nice sound. Also similar Sennheiser cx300s. In this case amazing how well it sounds with such cheap iems.
I have also tried the Jabra elite 65T and Apple airpods pro, both with Bluetooth with good results.
In all headphones and iems with cable I had more than enough power and excellent sound. Better balanced. This is of course only my opinion. All are easy to drive devices. I am sure it is completely different to drive 300 Ohms headphones but I do not have any of those.

Also I have been playing with the EQ. All experts please excuse me, but I hope this will help other beginners like myself. I found out about the jaakkopasanen/AutoEq a collection of EQ settings for thousands of headphones and iems to achieve a certain result, the so called Harman target. I decided to try.
Also, To fiddle with the EQ of the SR25 I found this very helpful.

Also note that the curves can be manipulated manually and the gain increased in the advanced mode, expanding manually the curves.

My conclusion after trying the Autoeq: I like very much the result with the Sony Wh-1000xm3, so much better than the overcooked bass that comes from Sony. For the Sennheiser HD599, I do not dislike the result of EQ, but since I do also like the setting without EQ, I use them without EQ. Finally, I do not like the result with the Final E4000. So, I would say it is worth a try, maybe you will like the result, specially if you have too much of something, bass in my case.. I hope this helps and please excuse the long message.

Aug 2, 2020 at 3:45 PM Post #664 of 2,746
A few questions from someone new to DAPs over $100...

Can anyone compare this to the Dethonray DTR1, strictly based on sound quality (obviously they are night and day in every other respect lol).

How would the SR25 do with Etymotic ER2XRs?

I only use IEMs, with the most expensive being a pair of Audio Technica LS200. Is a player like this overkill for IEMs that I’m using?

If I bought an SR25 used on Headfi, would AK still cover it under warranty if I had any issues? I don’t even see warranty information on the A&K site.

thanks!

Listening to the LS200 with it as I'm typing this. I just got the player yesterday, so I'm still trying it out with my other gear. I've been using the Cowon Plenue D2 and the Pioneer XDP30-R before biting the bullet and making the jump. If you're coming from a budget or entry level player like me, this will be a noticeable step up. A player of this caliber really does bring out the best of an IEM like the LS200,. You could say it's overkill strictly from the price difference between the two, but the improvements are easily discernible and knowing that I can move on to higher end gear without my source being the limiting factor is worth the money, for me at least.

Aug 2, 2020 at 4:47 PM Post #665 of 2,746
I'm still trying to figure out why I keep getting wifi dropouts on Tidal streaming and I'm looking for some information.
If you have Tidal and have dropouts, do you have another of the apk services installed that does not dropout. Does Amazon music HD dropout? Does Apple Music dropout?
It strikes me as rather weird that I can have an excellent wifi signal, plenty of bandwidth, and dropouts.
Thanks for your help.

Aug 2, 2020 at 5:11 PM Post #666 of 2,746
I'm still trying to figure out why I keep getting wifi dropouts on Tidal streaming and I'm looking for some information.
If you have Tidal and have dropouts, do you have another of the apk services installed that does not dropout. Does Amazon music HD dropout? Does Apple Music dropout?
It strikes me as rather weird that I can have an excellent wifi signal, plenty of bandwidth, and dropouts.
Thanks for your help.

Yes, unfortunately it's not just Tidal for me. Same dropouts with TuneIn Radio and SiriusXM.

Aug 4, 2020 at 4:10 PM Post #668 of 2,746
Hi all ,
im pretty new to the hifi world .Bought an AK SR25 couple weeks ago as my first dap with a CA polaris 2 .Wish i started this journey earlier .Im so enjoying my music now then before,a whole new world opens for me :gs1000smile::gs1000smile:.Already considering buying a second pair of iem cause the polaris is really a basshead iem .
But can someone explain to me how can i calculate if the SR25 have enough power to drive TOTL iem ??

Aug 4, 2020 at 4:48 PM Post #669 of 2,746
Hi all ,
im pretty new to the hifi world .Bought an AK SR25 couple weeks ago as my first dap with a CA polaris 2 .Wish i started this journey earlier .Im so enjoying my music now then before,a whole new world opens for me :gs1000smile::gs1000smile:.Already considering buying a second pair of iem cause the polaris is really a basshead iem .
But can someone explain to me how can i calculate if the SR25 have enough power to drive TOTL iem ??
Most iems should be fine. You need more power to drive headphones

Aug 5, 2020 at 4:29 AM Post #670 of 2,746
Hi all ,

Hi there,
i believe there is nothing that can substitute the personal experience. What is enough power? That is subjective. Maybe your listening levels are a lot higher or lower than mine and it also depends on the recording.
That said you may find this useful: the headphone calculator http://www.digizoid.com/headphones-power.html
Once inside, do not try the link to headphone specs it does not work, you have to find the specs of your iem and enter the impedance and sensibility in the boxes. The page will give you something like this, this is the result for my Final E4000 iems 15 Ohms, 97 dbs:

B06B2897-2030-4EE8-B6E5-88EEFF2E45EF.png

Some say you should take the fairly loud as reference while the others are simply impossibly loud.
in my case, I have the result of 0,97 Vrms, the Sr25 has Unbalanced 2.0Vrms / Balanced 4.0Vrms (Condition No Load) that is, as far as I can understand (no technical background here), more than enough. There seems to be plenty voltage for the unbalanced even at painful level. But the balanced Output sounds in my opinion so much better.
As the webpage explains you need also enough current for the bass, but I do not know how to find this data about the SR25.
hope this helps

Aug 5, 2020 at 6:40 AM Post #671 of 2,746
Does the SR25 support gapless playback using the DLNA client?

Aug 5, 2020 at 6:58 AM Post #673 of 2,746
Anyone driving 64 Audio u12t with their SR25?? I've linked some up and wanted to get an idea if I needed anything to make run properly.

Also concerned that the u12t might have lost bass levels than I'm used to (currently running se846) - anyone played with the EQ yet? Made any difference?

Not quite answering your question but hopefully close....

My SR15 is driving my new 64audio Nios very well and the bass is awesome.

Aug 5, 2020 at 12:01 PM Post #674 of 2,746
Are you guys getting crackeling noises whe you use your s25's as DAC on laptop/pc's?

Could it be that I'm using a cheap usb-c to usb-c cable to plug into my laptop?

Aug 5, 2020 at 12:06 PM Post #675 of 2,746
I have a plan to refrash my DAP usage. I'm about to buy the new Astell and Kern SR 25. I'm using now the Sony NWA-105, with the fantastic Sennheiser IE 800 S in-ears. What do you think guys, will I have have get some significant development in any segments (for first in sound quality)?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back