Astell & Kern SR25: The next A&norma player
Jul 28, 2020 at 9:52 PM Post #647 of 2,746
No improvement in wifi dropouts with latest firmware.
:unamused:
20200728_214624.jpg

Jul 28, 2020 at 11:24 PM Post #648 of 2,746
A few questions from someone new to DAPs over $100...

Can anyone compare this to the Dethonray DTR1, strictly based on sound quality (obviously they are night and day in every other respect lol).

How would the SR25 do with Etymotic ER2XRs?

I only use IEMs, with the most expensive being a pair of Audio Technica LS200. Is a player like this overkill for IEMs that I’m using?

If I bought an SR25 used on Headfi, would AK still cover it under warranty if I had any issues? I don’t even see warranty information on the A&K site.

thanks!

Last edited:
Jul 30, 2020 at 3:42 AM Post #649 of 2,746
So how many of you all have updated to the firmware 1.20?

After reading some horror stories in the SR15 thread about firmware updates gone bad, I'm a bit gun-shy to do this on a device that seems to be working pretty will as it is...

Jul 30, 2020 at 3:59 AM Post #650 of 2,746

After reading some horror stories in the SR15 thread about firmware updates gone bad, I'm a bit gun-shy to do this on a device that seems to be working pretty will as it is...

In my case, I have not noticed any new problem. Also I didn’t have any new loss connection with wifi but others have reported that problems with wifi continue. I have also changed my location, so wifi is different and might be that it simply works better with this one. The firmware seems stable but might be wise for you to wait for others to confirm.

Jul 30, 2020 at 4:17 AM Post #651 of 2,746
Can't detect any difference. Wifi same as before (ie: good), and bluetooth devices that wouldn't connect with v1.1, still won't with v1.2. The added BT codec screen did not help much. The rest of features that I use, still works as before.

For reference:
Main wifi router - Asus RT-87U running asuswrt-merlin firmware
Wifi access point- Netgear R7000 running asuswrt-merlin firmware

Last edited:
Jul 30, 2020 at 4:28 AM Post #652 of 2,746
In my case, I have not noticed any new problem. Also I didn’t have any new loss connection with wifi but others have reported that problems with wifi continue. I have also changed my location, so wifi is different and might be that it simply works better with this one. The firmware seems stable but might be wise for you to wait for others to confirm.
cool thanks

I've needed to update my home wifi to a better mesh system for quite some time anyway, the SR25 (and my teenagers) will love it.

Jul 30, 2020 at 5:05 AM Post #653 of 2,746

No real difference for me either.

I get intermittent drops in wifi, but nothing to bad.

Jul 30, 2020 at 6:39 PM Post #654 of 2,746
You know, I think you have hit on the winning solution - just download the files I want, and I haven't had a download fail yet. I've got a 512gb card for my music, so I can give all the players memory to Tidal downloads. Since I can redownload anytime I want, I can clear the Tidal downloads periodically and start fresh. I think this will allow me to keep the player, which I'm otherwise delighted with.
Thanks!
I thought I'd post an update for anyone who might be interested.
First, I did hear back from JasonNYC from A&K. He thought it might be the player itself and that I should swap it for a new one if I could, otherwise he'd arrange for service. Since I had the player less than a week, I did send it back to Crutchfield (btw: I've found them very good to deal with). I ordered another because there is nothing in this price range that sounds nearly as good to my ears. It came quickly and started exhibiting wifi streaming drops in Tidal immediately. I don't know if it's how Tidal streams, how A&K receives, or if I have haunted wifi here in NH. I hope A&K can fix it, but 1.20 did nothing about this.
Another funny thing, when I'm downloading be it updates or Tidal tracks I don't have a problem.

Jul 30, 2020 at 6:48 PM Post #655 of 2,746
I get the drop woth my Sure 50’s when using my iPad or phone. I have the same drops with the SR25. I assume it’s a Tidal problem for some reason. Maybe it’s my own Eero mesh system. Dual band not the newer tri band

Jul 31, 2020 at 9:48 AM Post #656 of 2,746
are you all getting 21 hours of playback time? I dont think I'm getting anywhere close - listen at between 75-95...

Jul 31, 2020 at 10:06 AM Post #657 of 2,746
are you all getting 21 hours of playback time? I dont think I'm getting anywhere close - listen at between 75-95...

The specification says:
Continuous Playback Time
About 21 hours (Standard - MUSIC: FLAC, 16-bit/44.1kHz, Unbalance, Volume 50, EQ OFF, LCD OFF)

I also do not come close but I play a lot of high res files, many DSD, a lot of streaming, almost always balanced and volume a lot higher than 50, close to what you say, and with the sonys hedphones a lot of EQ. Anyway battery does last very long...

Jul 31, 2020 at 10:29 AM Post #658 of 2,746
The specification says:
Continuous Playback Time
About 21 hours (Standard - MUSIC: FLAC, 16-bit/44.1kHz, Unbalance, Volume 50, EQ OFF, LCD OFF)

I also do not come close but I play a lot of high res files, many DSD, a lot of streaming, almost always balanced and volume a lot higher than 50, close to what you say, and with the sonys hedphones a lot of EQ. Anyway battery does last very long...
Yea, maybe im complaining for the sake of complaining!!?? I am really enjoying it to be honest...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back