Astell & Kern SR25: The next A&norma player
Jun 2, 2020 at 11:05 AM Post #288 of 2,743
@JasonNYC after few hours testing SR25 with Andromeda, i have to say that is very good synergy and SR25 is a decent DAP with great SQ.
I have only one but huge problem. With Tidal online there is much hiss on evrey song in first 5-10 sec when streaming is using. When You cut off wifi at this time hiss is gone.
Do You think is there any possibilities to fix this problem with update software?

Last edited:
Jun 5, 2020 at 6:30 PM Post #289 of 2,743
Hi all, new member here. I took delivery of my SR25 today, very impressed by build and sound quality. I think I'm going to be using it mostly with the Meze 99s when in the office and so far happy with this set up.

One question for other owners out there, which Tidal APK have you downloaded? I could only get 2.24 to work and it is completely different to the stock app that came on the device, also it has video functionality and social media links all over it which I find annoying. Which APK is closest to the stock app?

Jun 6, 2020 at 5:43 AM Post #290 of 2,743
If I have choose between SR25 and iBasso DX220, which one would be better. I mostly stream music using Spotify.

Jun 6, 2020 at 8:27 AM Post #292 of 2,743
Can any sr25 owners comment on SQ, say over the original Kann ( not the new one)
I love my original Kann, I love the weight on notes and it’s tube like sound
SQ only kinda where does sr25 sit sq only?
Thx
Considering upgrading but not sure

Jun 6, 2020 at 8:30 AM Post #293 of 2,743
Some owner of sr25 or 15 has ever tried the qp2r?
I would like to use with campfire atlas,jvx 850, but also utopia and th900.
If there is a dap that is much better of my hugo (sp1000. Ak380. Qp2r. M15..?) I could even get rid of it and stretch the budget to a no compromise one. But it should drive the headphone above properly

Last edited:
Jun 7, 2020 at 5:37 AM Post #294 of 2,743
If I have choose between SR25 and iBasso DX220, which one would be better. I mostly stream music using Spotify.
Hi, I had both - i kept the SR25 and returned the DX220 (Amp1).

for my taste, the SR25 is much more detailed and high-end-sounding than the DX220

tried it with CA Solaris 2020, CA Andromeda OG and CA Andromeda Limited Gold

DX220 is on the warmer side, but loosing to much details

Jun 8, 2020 at 9:49 AM Post #298 of 2,743
Hi there,
I've been using my SR25 for about two weeks now and I'm very happy. I used to have a Fiio X5 ii (still use it for sports), then I listened on my phone with a Dragonfly red, which I found not very practical for my needs. So I decided to upgrade to a new DAP with streaming capabilities (Tidal), nice aesthetics and solid build. Between iBasso DX160 and the AK SR25, I opted for SR25, since I wanted (a) it to be small enough and (b) to be able to listen to it first. Since nobody in Switzerland sells iBassos (as far as I know), I went with SR25 and really like the experience. I use it with my Meze 99, Meze Rai Solo and my Campfire IO, each one of them giving me something else that I like. :) So far, I use 3.5mm unbalanced cables, but will buy balanced cables soon (probably Satin Audio).

I do have two questions, though:
(1) I use Exact Audio Copy to rip my CD's and include album covers. I mostly use the "folder" option to access my music on the AK. Now, sometimes the album covers display correctly, for other albums/folders (with exactly the same process of ripping, same .jpg-files etc), the album covers don't show. This is somewhat puzzling. Any idea what might be the problem? (It's not really bothering me, it's just weird)

(2) When I select "Albums" or "Artists", the album covers always display correctly. But the curious thing here is that every song appears twice. The first file can never be played, although the information says "flac" etc. The second file always plays correctly. Accessing through "Folders" only shows the songs once and playing them never is an issue. Again: Does someone have an idea, what happens here?

Thanks for any explanations!

@Dewan7825:
I have sideloaded the apk version 2.24.0 of Tidal. I have the same issue as other users, since this version doesn't show the output. But I have added my Dragonfly Red to my SR25 and in both the pre-installed Tidal app and the sideloaded version, the Dragonfly indicates the same colour, purple. So, both apps are able to deliver MQA, the question is, if it's unfolded only through the Dragonfly or already on the SR25.

Last edited:
Jun 8, 2020 at 11:40 AM Post #299 of 2,743
Hi there,
I've been using my SR25 for about two weeks now and I'm very happy. I used to have a Fiio X5 ii (still use it for sports), then I listened on my phone with a Dragonfly red, which I found not very practical for my needs. So I decided to upgrade to a new DAP with streaming capabilities (Tidal), nice aesthetics and solid build. Between iBasso DX160 and the AK SR25, I opted for SR25, since I wanted (a) it to be small enough and (b) to be able to listen to it first. Since nobody in Switzerland sells iBassos (as far as I know), I went with SR25 and really like the experience. I use it with my Meze 99, Meze Rai Solo and my Campfire IO, each one of them giving me something else that I like. :) So far, I use 3.5mm unbalanced cables, but will buy balanced cables soon (probably Satin Audio).

I do have two questions, though:
(1) I use Exact Audio Copy to rip my CD's and include album covers. I mostly use the "folder" option to access my music on the AK. Now, sometimes the album covers display correctly, for other albums/folders (with exactly the same process of ripping, same .jpg-files etc), the album covers don't show. This is somewhat puzzling. Any idea what might be the problem? (It's not really bothering me, it's just weird)

(2) When I select "Albums" or "Artists", the album covers always display correctly. But the curious thing here is that every song appears twice. The first file can never be played, although the information says "flac" etc. The second file always plays correctly. Accessing through "Folders" only shows the songs once and playing them never is an issue. Again: Does someone have an idea, what happens here?

Thanks for any explanations!

@Dewan7825:
I have sideloaded the apk version 2.24.0 of Tidal. I have the same issue as other users, since this version doesn't show the output. But I have added my Dragonfly Red to my SR25 and in both the pre-installed Tidal app and the sideloaded version, the Dragonfly indicates the same colour, purple. So my conclusion would be that both apps can unfold MQA (?)
It's possible the metadata did not index correctly when it was first loaded on the player. I would recommend trying a manual media scan to reindex the tracks. Settings -> System Reset -> Initialize media scan. If you have playlists saved on the player, please make sure "clear playlists" is not selected. Hit ok. It can take about 10 minutes for the player to rescan all media files in internal memory and on microSD card. You will see a message that says scanning media in the notification bar.

Astell&Kern Stay updated on Astell&Kern at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/astellnkern/ https://twitter.com/astell_kern https://www.instagram.com/astellnkern.official/ https://astellnkern.com astellnkern@astellnkern.com
Jun 8, 2020 at 11:56 AM Post #300 of 2,743
It's possible the metadata did not index correctly when it was first loaded on the player. I would recommend trying a manual media scan to reindex the tracks. Settings -> System Reset -> Initialize media scan. If you have playlists saved on the player, please make sure "clear playlists" is not selected. Hit ok. It can take about 10 minutes for the player to rescan all media files in internal memory and on microSD card. You will see a message that says scanning media in the notification bar.

Do AK players support cue sheets nowadays ? :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back