Astell & Kern SR25: The next A&norma player
Nov 19, 2020 at 12:33 PM Post #1,096 of 2,746
Like others in this thread, the only thing holding me back from purchasing an SR 25 are the wifi issues noted above. I find myself streaming 80% of the time so the wifi needs to be rock solid. I don’t want to have to think about my proximity to the router anymore than I do with my iPod Gen 7 today. ( I currently use the iPod (or iPad) along with a dragonfly cobalt or ifi Nano iDSD. Works well but I had hoped to “simplify” things.)

Nov 19, 2020 at 1:13 PM Post #1,097 of 2,746
Like others in this thread, the only thing holding me back from purchasing an SR 25 are the wifi issues noted above. I find myself streaming 80% of the time so the wifi needs to be rock solid. I don’t want to have to think about my proximity to the router anymore than I do with my iPod Gen 7 today. ( I currently use the iPod (or iPad) along with a dragonfly cobalt or ifi Nano iDSD. Works well but I had hoped to “simplify” things.)
I am also an Apple fan and have an IPhone and Ipad. Their wifi is so much better than the SR25! Otherwise I am very pleased with the sound of the SR25

Nov 19, 2020 at 1:35 PM Post #1,098 of 2,746

Yes, the wifi connection works fine (at least mine), but it is quite weak and there're issues related to distance (and walls, of course!) where other devices have rock-solid connection. In that cases, I listen to some local files, but someone used to stream all the time will not be happy.

On the other hand, if experience can help, 90% of my reduced library (apart from Tidal downloaded content) are wav, flac and dsd files, but I have some mp3s too and the SR25 really does a great job handling higher mp3 rates and other mid-quality formats.
This, plus the downloaded Tidal content, checks all the boxes 99,999% of the time (and I can always use the mobile hot-spot to listen to a song or download an album if needed).

Nov 19, 2020 at 2:25 PM Post #1,099 of 2,746
I too was worried about the WiFi but went ahead and purchased. So far no problems. This includes a hospital setting and outdoors mowing the lawn with the router more than 100 ft away indoors.

Nov 19, 2020 at 2:26 PM Post #1,100 of 2,746
Great info - thank you! I need to think whether I would see myself using the SR25 in the same way you are.

I have to believe that A&K will improve their WiFi capability in subsequent releases.

Nov 19, 2020 at 2:27 PM Post #1,101 of 2,746
I too was worried about the WiFi but went ahead and purchased. So far no problems. This includes a hospital setting and outdoors mowing the lawn with the router more than 100 ft away indoors.

Nov 19, 2020 at 2:29 PM Post #1,102 of 2,746
Thanks for the feedback. And I thought I had made my decision... :)

Nov 19, 2020 at 2:37 PM Post #1,103 of 2,746
iBasso have stopped the DX220. Probably because of the battery life issues. There is a thread on here devoted to it.

The 220 has no battery problems per se, but it is known that the runtimes are around 6..8 hours.
Apart from the fact that there are still a few pieces on the market, it is running out because its successor, the DX300, is about to launch :wink:

Ibasso does not build his DAP in masses like others without end, the good goods ... are produced rather manageably.

Nov 19, 2020 at 3:46 PM Post #1,104 of 2,746
Great info - thank you! I need to think whether I would see myself using the SR25 in the same way you are.

I have to believe that A&K will improve their WiFi capability in subsequent releases.
Yeah, you really do need to consider how you'll use a DAP like the SR25. The WiFi problems bugged me so much I upgraded my home WiFi, which I kinda had to do anyway, but since then no issues at all using it at home.

But really, I think a DAP is much better suited to on-the-go offline use, which is when I mostly use mine. If you’re expecting to be using it at home anyway, you might consider a desktop rig as an alternative, using your phone or PC to stream from. Or if you are streaming on the go, then maybe an AudioQuest dragonfly, or Chord Mojo with your phone are good alternatives. IFi also have some good portable DACs for this as well.

I don’t necessarily want to dissuade you from the SR25 in the SR25 thread, its a great device and I'm happy with mine. But there could be better options for your use, that might save you a few $$ as well.

Nov 19, 2020 at 6:44 PM Post #1,105 of 2,746
Thanks for the reply. Does it still have good bass quantity? Any opinions on the SE700 and KANN Alpha. Realise they are in a different price bracket.

If your looking for bass turn to Sony I have a WM1A myself only negative is the power output so you need to choose your IEM or more to the point HP with that in mind. The WM1A also has regional differences that can be unlocked to alter the sound signature including bass. Not streamer as no WiFi equally remains to be a very solid DAP.

SR25 ticks a lot of of boxes, has a smooth well balanced tonality. The DAP is mostly a well rounded package, doesn't excel sonically in any singular or specific manner. More that the SR25 is enjoyable for what it is, yet retains the A&K house sound. Some have had issue with WiFi, my own SR25 has not had any problems on the home network. I rather suspect the wireless issues are a combination of A&K's power saving measures and some wireless routers compatibility. For a portable the SR25 does excel as it's major strong points being; battery runtime, pocketable size, smooth UI all with a very good level of audio performance.

SE200 is extremely resolving on the AKM side, less so on the ESS DAC's. DAC filters can be user selected with a minimal change to sound signature. To me the SE200 is a rather analytical DAP that looks to achieve technical prowess above all else including musicality. SE200 is built to a higher standard than SR25. Personally I very much like the design, however I wont opt for the SE200 as I far prefer more natural sources, wanting to enjoy my music, not have it picked apart Bit by Bit so to speak.

SA700 is very mid focused, heavy, runs hot and the UI is significantly slower than SR25 & SE200. In use the SA700 feels like a generation or two behind. Again build quality exceeds SR25, sound signature you could become accustomed too, initially feels like the low end and top end are reassessed. Reality, it's more related to the boosted mid's which tend to dominate the listening experience. With SA700 you'd certainly want to pick the HP/IEM with some consideration given the elevated mid's.

Waiting on the Kann Alpha to arrive locally to listen directly. There's a lot of talk on the DAP, yet very little as to exactly how the DAP sounds/leans, which tends to make me think that the Alpha will be a very neutral DAP and potentially less natural. Have read a couple of posts stating that the Alpha may not be the best option to pair with brighter IEM's which again reinforces a neutral tendency and potentially a touch brighter with A&K's house sound on top, personally preferring a signature edging more towards the Kann Cube with a tighter control of the bass. I'll see soon enough...

Also liking the Kann Cube, however not enough time to form a real solid opinion on the audio. Big and bold strong in the bass, generation behind with the UI reminding at every touch. Physically large, however not as heavy as you might initially think being the polar opposite of the SA700 which when you pickup for the first you'll be wondering if A&K have devised a new method the cool the DAP involving lead plates :darthsmile:

Q-6

Last edited:
Nov 19, 2020 at 7:19 PM Post #1,106 of 2,746
Yeah, you really do need to consider how you'll use a DAP like the SR25. The WiFi problems bugged me so much I upgraded my home WiFi, which I kinda had to do anyway, but since then no issues at all using it at home.

But really, I think a DAP is much better suited to on-the-go offline use, which is when I mostly use mine. If you’re expecting to be using it at home anyway, you might consider a desktop rig as an alternative, using your phone or PC to stream from. Or if you are streaming on the go, then maybe an AudioQuest dragonfly, or Chord Mojo with your phone are good alternatives. IFi also have some good portable DACs for this as well.

I don’t necessarily want to dissuade you from the SR25 in the SR25 thread, its a great device and I'm happy with mine. But there could be better options for your use, that might save you a few $$ as well.

Good advice. And you just described my current setup :) iPod, iPad, or Mac with a Dragonfly Cobalt or iFi Nano iDSD Black Label. It generally works for me aside from having a few drawbacks. (But what doesn’t?)

Nov 19, 2020 at 7:41 PM Post #1,107 of 2,746
Good advice. And you just described my current setup :) iPod, iPad, or Mac with a Dragonfly Cobalt or iFi Nano iDSD Black Label. It generally works for me aside from having a few drawbacks. (But what doesn’t?)
Apols, I missed the bit where you did mention this in the thread :blush:. No doubt the SR25 does give you a nice all-in-one solution where you don't have to worry about extra cables/dongles, or burning your phone's battery. But there's probably not all that much in it SQ-wise vs what you already have..

Do you have a desktop rig already? If it was me, I'd be looking at that. Or maybe more IEMs/Headphones. But hey, if you've got the cash, just get All of the Things! :L3000:

Nov 19, 2020 at 9:57 PM Post #1,108 of 2,746
Apols, I missed the bit where you did mention this in the thread :blush:. No doubt the SR25 does give you a nice all-in-one solution where you don't have to worry about extra cables/dongles, or burning your phone's battery. But there's probably not all that much in it SQ-wise vs what you already have..

Do you have a desktop rig already? If it was me, I'd be looking at that. Or maybe more IEMs/Headphones. But hey, if you've got the cash, just get All of the Things! :L3000:
That’s a good thought about the desktop rig. Hadn’t considered that. And I’m rather new to the IEM world but I’ve learned there’s always room for one more. :)

Nov 20, 2020 at 12:05 AM Post #1,109 of 2,746
The 220 has no battery problems per se, but it is known that the runtimes are around 6..8 hours.
Apart from the fact that there are still a few pieces on the market, it is running out because its successor, the DX300, is about to launch :wink:

Ibasso does not build his DAP in masses like others without end, the good goods ... are produced rather manageably.

Here is the thread on the DX220 battery life https://www.head-fi.org/threads/ibasso-dx220-battery-life-issues.910525/

Users who are viewing this thread

Back