Astell & Kern SR25: The next A&norma player
Jul 17, 2020 at 10:32 PM Post #571 of 2,749
I can't say specifically about the difference between the SR25 and SE200. But, I did audition both of their predecessors back in March, the SR15 and SE100, and tbh, I couldn't really hear much difference between them; I suspect the difference between SR25 and SE200 would be subtle at best? Certainly not enough for me to justify more than double the $AUD price difference, which is enough for a great pair of headphones or IEMs. Then again, if you have the $$, then maybe the 4x internal storage increase and option to select different DAC signatures is worth it to you.

Could just be my ears are now too old and not sensitive enough to tell. Best way is for you to have a listen yourself before making any final decision, which your retailer should be more than happy for you to do.
Follow up question. Do you think investing in a good IEM will be more value than investing in a higher grade player? Any recommendations?

Jul 17, 2020 at 10:52 PM Post #572 of 2,749
Follow up question. Do you think investing in a good IEM will be more value than investing in a higher grade player? Any recommendations?
Yes definitely, and you'll see this standard recommendation all over this site, and that is to initially invest more $$ in your speakers/headphones/IEMs, as that is almost always what makes the most difference in what you hear.

If you haven't already got a good pair of headphones or IEMs, then it probably wouldn't be possible to hear any difference between these DAPs without them. What do you currently have?

As far as recommendations, I really like the Campfire Audio Cascade headphones that I bought at the same time as the SR25. Even though they are not cheap, they were less than the difference in price for the SE200. I also have a pair of Shure SE535s that also sound great with the SR25. Beyond that, well you can find literally 10000s of recommendations here on HeadFi, how much time do you have this weekend to research? :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

At the end of the day, it comes down to your budget, and the kind of music you like to listen to. I'd expect the retailer selling you the SR25 probably has a lot of different things for you to try to see what you like best. If you're spending this kind of $$ on this hobby, best to trust your own ears :smile_phones:

Jul 18, 2020 at 12:08 AM Post #573 of 2,749
Yes definitely, and you'll see this standard recommendation all over this site, and that is to initially invest more $$ in your speakers/headphones/IEMs, as that is almost always what makes the most difference in what you hear.

If you haven't already got a good pair of headphones or IEMs, then it probably wouldn't be possible to hear any difference between these DAPs without them. What do you currently have?

As far as recommendations, I really like the Campfire Audio Cascade headphones that I bought at the same time as the SR25. Even though they are not cheap, they were less than the difference in price for the SE200. I also have a pair of Shure SE535s that also sound great with the SR25. Beyond that, well you can find literally 10000s of recommendations here on HeadFi, how much time do you have this weekend to research? :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

At the end of the day, it comes down to your budget, and the kind of music you like to listen to. I'd expect the retailer selling you the SR25 probably has a lot of different things for you to try to see what you like best. If you're spending this kind of $$ on this hobby, best to trust your own ears :smile_phones:
Thanks for the inputs mate. I’m a new audiophile (if I am one). It all started with me buying a new car and then fitting it with focal speakers, new amplifier, woofer etc. Then I thought I should have a better source medium and therefore dap. Now I realise it’s better experience listening over headphones even though I have all that equipment in my car. I haven’t invested in good headphones so far. What I have is Bose qc35. Now I think I will spend the rest of this weekend researching iem. Do you think iem is a better investment compared to over the head regular Headphones?

Jul 18, 2020 at 4:04 AM Post #574 of 2,749
Thanks for the inputs mate. I’m a new audiophile (if I am one). It all started with me buying a new car and then fitting it with focal speakers, new amplifier, woofer etc. Then I thought I should have a better source medium and therefore dap. Now I realise it’s better experience listening over headphones even though I have all that equipment in my car. I haven’t invested in good headphones so far. What I have is Bose qc35. Now I think I will spend the rest of this weekend researching iem. Do you think iem is a better investment compared to over the head regular Headphones?
Sounds like you'll probably wind up 'investing' in both anyway :)

If you already have the QC35 then it might make sense to look at some IEMs. Depends on how and when you'll use them. If you’re at home and not disturbing anyone else anyway, you might also consider open back headphones instead. But if you are out and around, on public transport or at an office, then IEMs or closed back headphones would be preferred so no one else can hear what you’re listening to, and you get better isolation from ambient noise.

I'd suggest to figure out how much you want to spend, have a look at a few web sites, that sell this gear and work out what falls in your budget range, and read up here and other review sites before you go and have a listen to a few. Like a lot of things in life the thrill of the chase makes it all worthwhile. :wink:

Jul 18, 2020 at 4:23 AM Post #575 of 2,749
Sounds like you'll probably wind up 'investing' in both anyway :)

If you already have the QC35 then it might make sense to look at some IEMs. Depends on how and when you'll use them. If you’re at home and not disturbing anyone else anyway, you might also consider open back headphones instead. But if you are out and around, on public transport or at an office, then IEMs or closed back headphones would be preferred so no one else can hear what you’re listening to, and you get better isolation from ambient noise.

I'd suggest to figure out how much you want to spend, have a look at a few web sites, that sell this gear and work out what falls in your budget range, and read up here and other review sites before you go and have a listen to a few. Like a lot of things in life the thrill of the chase makes it all worthwhile. :wink:
Dude I think exactly the same way as you. And I agree 100% that the thrill of the chase sometimes is more exciting. I think I have made up my mind to keep SR25 and invest in a good IEM. I just love the shape of SR25, just for that reason I don’t want to let it go. Will update you what I finally bought

Jul 18, 2020 at 5:57 AM Post #576 of 2,749
I picked up a Kingston 512gb fro £62.50...works great - very fast, no issues...
Dude I think exactly the same way as you. And I agree 100% that the thrill of the chase sometimes is more exciting. I think I have made up my mind to keep SR25 and invest in a good IEM. I just love the shape of SR25, just for that reason I don’t want to let it go. Will update you what I finally bought
A big difference when you get some proper IEMs. I bough the Sr25 and listened to it with the BL03 for about a week (which, by the way was a really nice listening experience). I recently bought the se846s and it's taken the listening to a new level - I'm excited that the 846s are considered on the entry level of high end iems, meaning that there loads for me to grow into. I'm looking at the fearless audio s8 pro as a future purchase - very well reviewed for reasonable price (especially comparing to 846s)

Jul 18, 2020 at 8:28 AM Post #577 of 2,749
A big difference when you get some proper IEMs. I bough the Sr25 and listened to it with the BL03 for about a week (which, by the way was a really nice listening experience). I recently bought the se846s and it's taken the listening to a new level - I'm excited that the 846s are considered on the entry level of high end iems, meaning that there loads for me to grow into. I'm looking at the fearless audio s8 pro as a future purchase - very well reviewed for reasonable price (especially comparing to 846s)
Thanks for your inputs. Really useful. Just for perspective, can you let me know, on a scale of 1-10, where will you rate these headphones compared to bose qc35? I will certainly try and get to experience myself as well.

Jul 18, 2020 at 8:33 AM Post #578 of 2,749

I agree with you. I used to use Master & Dynamic MW07 Plus and thought it was great. But since I have got CA Andromeda 2020 as a good guy from this forum advices me to get, also to use them together with Snugs which helps to have Andromeda as custom IEM. Never wanted to stop listening to the music.

Attachments

• BA09C0BD-1591-4E0E-8DB0-B8DA8934AB54.jpeg
    BA09C0BD-1591-4E0E-8DB0-B8DA8934AB54.jpeg
    554 KB · Views: 0
  • 2F242978-D989-47EC-AA57-FCA33F68ED54.jpeg
    2F242978-D989-47EC-AA57-FCA33F68ED54.jpeg
    1,001.5 KB · Views: 0
Jul 18, 2020 at 8:36 AM Post #579 of 2,749
My retailer has some demo iem at discount. Noble dzango for $300, katana for $600, Jupiter for $300, Orion for $120 and nova for $200. Are any of these good?

Jul 18, 2020 at 8:54 AM Post #580 of 2,749
I agree with you. I used to use Master & Dynamic MW07 Plus and thought it was great. But since I have got CA Andromeda 2020 as a good guy from this forum advices me to get, also to use them together with Snugs which helps to have Andromeda as custom IEM. Never wanted to stop listening to the music.
Since updating the site a lot of options for snugs seem to have vanished which seems odd. Also sent them an email thursday and not heard anything back.

Jul 18, 2020 at 8:55 AM Post #581 of 2,749
My retailer has some demo iem at discount. Noble dzango for $300, katana for $600, Jupiter for $300, Orion for $120 and nova for $200. Are any of these good?
I haven't actually heard any of them so can't comment - see what reviews are like here and maybe pop into the store to demo them yourself?

Jul 18, 2020 at 8:58 AM Post #582 of 2,749
Thanks for your inputs. Really useful. Just for perspective, can you let me know, on a scale of 1-10, where will you rate these headphones compared to bose qc35? I will certainly try and get to experience myself as well.
Well the qc35s are over head so you can't accurately compare them to IEMs. I have the Sony 1000xm3 and whilst they're brilliant for bluetooth/noise cancelling, I found the music more enjoyable to listen to even on my BL03s.

If you're on a budget, try the BL03s - cheap and really good performance. You can then save for something better down the line..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back