Astell & Kern SR25: The next A&norma player
Jul 1, 2020 at 9:58 PM Post #466 of 2,746
-Bluetooth implementation is pretty crap on this thing, I mean when it scans devices it comes back with a list of MAC addresses??? Where are the device names, so I can choose my Shure BT1? Or any of the 3 other BT speakers I have?

Anyone else with wonky Bluetooth like this on SR25? Managed to find my Mac by name today, but nothing else....

IMG_1650.jpg

Jul 2, 2020 at 8:31 AM Post #467 of 2,746
Didn’t realize they used the older 4.2 BT. That kind of sucks. I have plenty of connectivity issues. Better than my older 380cu, but new devices should have up to date connections. JMHO. Love the player overall, but when the signal keeps dropping during songs it pisses me off. No issues with my new Shure 50’s and my computer or iPhone and I have a 6s phone I find that strange.

Jul 2, 2020 at 9:46 AM Post #468 of 2,746
In theory, BT5.0 improvement over BT4.2 is mainly in range and bandwidth, so you can be farther away (beyond 30-35ft limitation of BT4.2) transmitting larger packets of data, but closer to the source it shouldn't make as much difference between these two standards, especially when it comes to audio quality. Again, all this theoretically speaking. I think bigger variation is what headphones, earphones, or TWS you are using. I received quite a few messages from people complaining about TWS and various DAP connections. Just seems that TWS are optimized better for use with smartphones, and in general you don't need DAPs for that since DAC/amp section won't be utilized.

But with WiFi, I have a feeling some people would have benefited from dual 2.4/5GHz while SR25 supports only 2.4GHz according to the spec. Makes me wonder if every bit and piece of that design (including only 2.4GHz and BT4.2) was carefully selected and optimized to squeeze out ever extra minute of battery life :) So, that's part of a trade off of being able to use it for 22hrs on a single charge.

Jul 2, 2020 at 10:03 AM Post #469 of 2,746
You may be correct. It's just frustrating to have the constant drop outs. I finally just turned it off and went with the phone while around the house yesterday. I really wanted this to work both wired and BT. I'll give it some time and see what happens. It was a great recommendation though, so thanks. wired it sounds great.

Jul 2, 2020 at 11:54 AM Post #470 of 2,746
You may be correct. It's just frustrating to have the constant drop outs. I finally just turned it off and went with the phone while around the house yesterday. I really wanted this to work both wired and BT. I'll give it some time and see what happens. It was a great recommendation though, so thanks. wired it sounds great.
I wonder, is it possible to improve wifi, which has clearly room for improvement, through firmware or is the hardware, and then there will be no solution? And Bluetooth?
in my case I do not have any problem with Bluetooth. It takes a bit ti connect first time to the devices but then I did not have any dropouts. I have tried with a Denon amplifier, Sony and Jabra headphones and a car Bluetooth without any issues except the initial connection. I had to turn on and off the bluetooth to find the devices.
Wifi is not so good. Range and ocasional dropouts for me.

Jul 2, 2020 at 12:41 PM Post #471 of 2,746
In theory, BT5.0 improvement over BT4.2 is mainly in range and bandwidth, so you can be farther away (beyond 30-35ft limitation of BT4.2) transmitting larger packets of data, but closer to the source it shouldn't make as much difference between these two standards, especially when it comes to audio quality. Again, all this theoretically speaking. I think bigger variation is what headphones, earphones, or TWS you are using. I received quite a few messages from people complaining about TWS and various DAP connections. Just seems that TWS are optimized better for use with smartphones, and in general you don't need DAPs for that since DAC/amp section won't be utilized.

But with WiFi, I have a feeling some people would have benefited from dual 2.4/5GHz while SR25 supports only 2.4GHz according to the spec. Makes me wonder if every bit and piece of that design (including only 2.4GHz and BT4.2) was carefully selected and optimized to squeeze out ever extra minute of battery life :) So, that's part of a trade off of being able to use it for 22hrs on a single charge.
I think it could also have a lot to do with being able to keep it at a low price as well.

In order to keep the cost low (Astell Kern standard pricing = higher) for the consumer, they used some older chipsets for things such as WiFi and BT.

Last edited:
Jul 2, 2020 at 3:48 PM Post #473 of 2,746
in my case I do not have any problem with Bluetooth. It takes a bit ti connect first time to the devices but then I did not have any dropouts. I have tried with a Denon amplifier, Sony and Jabra headphones and a car Bluetooth without any issues except the initial connection. I had to turn on and off the bluetooth to find the devices.

Luis, so did you turn the BT on and off on the SR25? Or on the devices you connected to?
And it did show you the BT device name?

Jul 2, 2020 at 3:51 PM Post #474 of 2,746
I think it could also have a lot to do with being able to keep it at a low price as well.

In order to keep the cost low (Astell Kern standard pricing = higher) for the consumer, they used some older chipsets for things such as WiFi and BT.

Hmmm, maybe, but here in Australia you can get base model iPhone 11 for the same price as the SR25, and a new iPhone SE is a little more than half the price.

Jul 2, 2020 at 4:24 PM Post #475 of 2,746
Luis, so did you turn the BT on and off on the SR25? Or on the devices you connected to?
And it did show you the BT device name?
I had to turn on and off the Bluetooth on the Sr25 while trying to connect and then the names appear. i have just done the same thing with my daughters‘ Airpods Pro and after turning on and off in the Sr25 the name appeared and I could pair.
here you see in the upper part the devices that I have connected to
7FE31B7F-E94F-402B-826F-4884855158B7.jpeg

Jul 2, 2020 at 8:05 PM Post #476 of 2,746
The bluetooth scan-for-new-device duration seems very short compared my other devices.
Hope BT is a firmware improvable issue.
It's still early days for the firmware at v1.1.

Jul 2, 2020 at 8:38 PM Post #477 of 2,746
I wonder, is it possible to improve wifi, which has clearly room for improvement, through firmware or is the hardware, and then there will be no solution? And Bluetooth?
Wifi is not so good. Range and ocasional dropouts for me.

What car Bluetooth did you connect to?

Thank you

Jul 3, 2020 at 12:43 AM Post #478 of 2,746
What car Bluetooth did you connect to?

Thank you
My car is already 11 years old. It was early days for Bluetooth and had it only for phone calls. For music, I have a Bluetooth adapter, Eximtrade Mercedes media interface MMI to Bluetooth and it works perfectly. The Sr25 took some time to find the network, i had to try two or three times, turn on and off, but once connected it worked really well. It is recognised by the player as Bt speaker. Recently I did a two hour drive and no disconnections or any other problem.

Jul 3, 2020 at 1:10 AM Post #479 of 2,746
One of my favorite combos - A&K SR25 - Balanced out - WA11 Topaz - Black Dragon balanced cable - Grado RS1e. What a fantastic synergy these components bring together. Rock n Roll Heaven! Reference sound for sure but also very engaging. Closest representation of a Klipsch Heresy speaker experience (on the head) as I have heard. Legendary sound replication in a transportable package - what a great time we live in!

SE line out on the SR25 is great as well, paired with the likes of the WA8 eclipse. You are in for a listening experience that is definitively unique to the components used. This is the hobby! Using the same headphone cable combo as with the Topaz. The WA8 brings a whole new dimension - better best - who knows? New, different, engaging, euphoric, holographic, audiophile, pleasing, you name it. I just love it.

Last edited:
Jul 3, 2020 at 2:10 AM Post #480 of 2,746
My car is already 11 years old. It was early days for Bluetooth and had it only for phone calls. For music, I have a Bluetooth adapter, Eximtrade Mercedes media interface MMI to Bluetooth and it works perfectly. The Sr25 took some time to find the network, i had to try two or three times, turn on and off, but once connected it worked really well. It is recognised by the player as Bt speaker. Recently I did a two hour drive and no disconnections or any other problem.
Yeah, I'll have to have a go with BT in the cars this weekend, but I think I can line out anyways,

Users who are viewing this thread

Back