Astell & Kern SR25: The next A&norma player
Apr 18, 2021 at 12:36 PM Post #1,666 of 2,746
Good news about BC. I’ve had similar positive experiences with BC. Two labels remastered different albums per my request. Which is unbelievable. The one was outdated and they gave it a freshening up. The other was a new release in which recording engineer mixed treble too hot. He agreed and fixed it. On the other hand, I had one label tell me, no, beseech me to beg off, and said he runs the BC artist website as a favor for the artist only

Apr 18, 2021 at 1:44 PM Post #1,667 of 2,746
Good news about BC. I’ve had similar positive experiences with BC. Two labels remastered different albums per my request. Which is unbelievable. The one was outdated and they gave it a freshening up. The other was a new release in which recording engineer mixed treble too hot. He agreed and fixed it. On the other hand, I had one label tell me, no, beseech me to beg off, and said he runs the BC artist website as a favor for the artist only
Good to hear of your positive experience with BC, but not so much the the latter (what a way to promote their "friend's" livelyhood).

Apr 20, 2021 at 3:04 PM Post #1,670 of 2,746
Just got to join the SR25 family today and am looking forward to diving into this unit for quite a while.
IMG_20210420_095026_01.jpg
IMG_20210420_095026_02.jpg
Man, is this thing a looker in red. Glad I didn't settle on color.

Many thanks to Bloom Audio for making this a hands-down awesome buying experience.

Apr 20, 2021 at 3:37 PM Post #1,671 of 2,746
I'll be compiling my initial listening notes in real-time, so please bear with me if anything sounds a little contradictory or disconnected.

First things first, I really wish I didn't have to keep dealing with tiny DAP Android keyboards. Ever since the Opus#1, I kept hoping someone was going to find a way to utilize the device in landscape vice portrait when keyboard usage is necessary, but alas.

That being said, this one is more usable than the Opus' ever was, severely beats the Cayin N5iiS, and in my opinion has been matched within the price bracket only by the R5 Saber. Haven't held much else in this form factor and segment, but I think it's just something we have to manage as well as we can on small screens. This one seems well-calibrated, but I feel like I really can't use much of the outer border of this player if I'm using the official case and that could be a potential problem.

Initial charge-up and startup of this thing went flawlessly. Bravo. Honestly wish it were always this easy. With HiBy, I had to install each update incrementally, since release, and in order of release. That took a while. With the SR25, it was a once-and-done affair. Again, bravo. I don't think that should be overlooked.

I currently am having issues logging into Tidal via the included app. Confirmed my email and password on a separate device as well. I was using correct values for each field. Not a huge deal, but it will require me to spend time later digging into the sideloading process, which thankfully A&K make really easy. Again, thank you guys. I miss this kind of stuff.

So I just pulled one of my sD cards out of the Cayin and into the SR25 because I do need to remind myself from time to time that the music I own is pretty good, too. Grabbed a pair of KZ ZS7 because I didn't want to get too ahead of myself and start towards the lower end of my collection first, then it was off to the races.

Deftones - Deftones (24/96 Qobuz, owned)
I'm not going to mince words on this one: as a kid, I hated this album. It sounded like hot garbage and all I wanted was White Pony instead. It makes so much sense on the SR25. This album just has layers, and lots of them. Layers the hardware I'd been running couldn't properly pull out of these tracks, I guess. Man, that was a treat. I actually wish the album went another 15 minutes longer now.

David Bowie - Blackstar (24/96, HDTracks)
Unlike Deftones, Blackstar is a very known quantity for me in terms of studio tricks. Oh it's so well-represented here. The ZS7's bloom doesn't collapse every track and I hear staging similar to what my Total Airhead's hardware crossfeed can give me. There's a really tasty almost Reznor-like guitar line in Sue that I never heard before. What a treat.

It's a keeper. Will still probably try to sneak a R5 into the house somehow just because it's part of a story now anyway, but yes. Yes to the SR25.

Last edited:
Apr 20, 2021 at 3:45 PM Post #1,672 of 2,746
Should probably have also highlighted that there was absolutely no issue with the sD card I pulled from the N5iiS and it was that DAP's primary, which meant it had all the extra stuff on it.

This was a TEAMGroup (the gamer RAM guys) 128GB card with a combination of DSD, Hi-Res, and CD-ripped redbook FLAC. Pretty sure it was EXFAT, but honestly don't remember. Either way, didn't have to format.

Apr 20, 2021 at 5:24 PM Post #1,673 of 2,746
Just got to join the SR25 family today and am looking forward to diving into this unit for quite a while.

Many thanks to Bloom Audio for making this a hands-down awesome buying experience.
Welcome, miserybeforethemusic! I also had a terrific experience purchasing my SR25 (black version) from Andrew at Bloom Audio. Good selection of gear, fast shipping and super customer support!

Apr 20, 2021 at 6:22 PM Post #1,674 of 2,746

Congrats on your new Red SR25! I went with that color, too. Though, if there had been green, I'd have gone that direction. A fantastic first dap for me! Enjoy!!!

Last edited:
Apr 20, 2021 at 6:43 PM Post #1,675 of 2,746
Congrats on your new Red SR25! I went with that color, too. Though, if there had been green, I'd have gone that direction. A fantastic first dap for me!
This is your first?! Wow, nice choice. Did very well for yourself.

Got Tidal and Qobuz successfully loaded in. Spotify is throwing me for a loop at the moment, but I know Spotify has been a problem child in the past already. I can do without for a while.

Have since gone through Ryan Adams' 1989 and 1929 as well as started my demo playlist on the side-loaded Tidal app. Having a blast and good gravy do these Kanas Pro have some whack when they have some power behind 'em. Very authoritative sound. Me likey.

Last edited:
Apr 20, 2021 at 6:46 PM Post #1,676 of 2,746
Any progress on resolving the issue with the embedded Tidal app?

Apr 20, 2021 at 9:59 PM Post #1,680 of 2,746
Anyone really like the dignis case?
I may have to find out. Have the stock red one and it makes the buttons way too easy to depress. $90 for a case is a really bitter pill.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back