Astell & Kern SE100: A&futura Impressions - Reviews
Jul 15, 2018 at 2:46 PM Post #166 of 1,568
Was comparing A&K SE100 and Sony NW-WM1Z by using Sony MDR-1AM2. Both felt forward, but A&K SE100 was thicker for vocal, while WM1Z was cleaner (maybe?). Not sure how to correctly describe them but I enjoyed the SE100.

Jul 15, 2018 at 3:01 PM Post #167 of 1,568
That's true. But sibilance is easy to perceive. Graininess is perhaps more subtle.
I tend to feel like you do... I dislike graininess and harshness and seem sensitive to it. But when I hear it anymore, I tend to blame the recordings or mastering more than the equipment. And I agree, the SE100 will definitely show recordings that tend to have that trait. I've never heard the SP1000. I've never heard another A&K product. I kinda always thought A&K might be overpriced luxury rather than serious listening. But after having and listening to the SE100 for some time now, I see that thinking about A&K was uninformed and misguided. Which kinda makes me a little mad at you, because the description you've given of the differences in the SE100 and SP1000 makes me think the SP1000 might be more aligned with my preferences in sound, along with it having a reference sound quality... and now I'm thinking I might have to get one to find out if I like it even more than the SE100. :triportsad:

Damn this being addicted to sound, audio, music AND technology! :L3000:

It does seem to make life more worth living, though... if you can afford it (I can't really... but I do). :ksc75smile:

Jul 15, 2018 at 6:07 PM Post #168 of 1,568
I tend to feel like you do... I dislike graininess and harshness and seem sensitive to it. But when I hear it anymore, I tend to blame the recordings or mastering more than the equipment. And I agree, the SE100 will definitely show recordings that tend to have that trait. I've never heard the SP1000. I've never heard another A&K product. I kinda always thought A&K might be overpriced luxury rather than serious listening. But after having and listening to the SE100 for some time now, I see that thinking about A&K was uninformed and misguided. Which kinda makes me a little mad at you, because the description you've given of the differences in the SE100 and SP1000 makes me think the SP1000 might be more aligned with my preferences in sound, along with it having a reference sound quality... and now I'm thinking I might have to get one to find out if I like it even more than the SE100. :triportsad:

It does seem to make life more worth living, though... if you can afford it (I can't really... but I do). :ksc75smile:

Jul 15, 2018 at 6:09 PM Post #169 of 1,568
FYI: Tomorrow, Amazon is having "Prime Day" when allegedly one can get good deals. I don't know if there will be any deals on AK products, but I plan to check it out. Of course, you have to be an Amazon Prime member.

Jul 15, 2018 at 7:38 PM Post #170 of 1,568
FYI: Tomorrow, Amazon is having "Prime Day" when allegedly one can get good deals. I don't know if there will be any deals on AK products, but I plan to check it out. Of course, you have to be an Amazon Prime member.

I just received an e-mail from Amazon and A&K saying A&K will have products on Amazon and on their own website at special prices. No mention of what those items will be, but worth watching.

Jul 15, 2018 at 7:48 PM Post #171 of 1,568
Someone here told me that probably in some parts of the world many products missing LOL!
Someone found it funny that the only 2 players i consider were SP1000 and SE100.
Well... i tested 10-15 best PORTABLE (I have Naim Nova hi end audio player at home so why would i ever consider something i would not walk with) and nothing, nothing comes close to SP1000!
SE100 might have that competition in its class, this is true but SP1000 is a lonely metal brick which is far beyond the reach!

Last edited:
Jul 15, 2018 at 7:51 PM Post #172 of 1,568
39CDD2C9-7F72-4873-BEF8-074D6CD547E8.png
I just received an e-mail from Amazon and A&K saying A&K will have products on Amazon and on their own website at special prices. No mention of what those items will be, but worth watching.

URL].png

Got the email too!

Jul 15, 2018 at 11:19 PM Post #174 of 1,568

I heard the sp1000 once. I really wish I hadn’t.

Jul 16, 2018 at 7:35 AM Post #175 of 1,568

SE100 and SP1000 are both top quality. The difference is not about sound quality. The difference is about how they deliver the sound. Their signatures are different. 100 is airy and light, 1000 is rich and tight with that airy and lightness added to it.

Jul 16, 2018 at 7:44 AM Post #176 of 1,568
I am clearly in the minority here, but I just didn't like the Sp1000. I think synergy with IEMs is crucial - and with my A18t the tone sounded off (they sounded too dry and the mids were too recessed.) Sure it had a deep stage, but that's because the mids were pushed out so much.

Obviously to each his own, but for someone who has the 64 Audio A18/U18 - I think you can do a lot better. The A18 are the best IEM/CIEM that I ever heard so they aren't the problem. That said, AK's UI is second to none and this is one lone opinion. I am also willing to pay an extra couple thousand dollars for that last %. Caveats apply so YMMV. Thinking hard about the SE100 as I loved the sound of the AK240, but the new AK interface is special. It's my belief that interface is only sightly less important than sound quality when it comes to DAPs.

My point is not to rain on anyones parade, but that if you have the SE100 (which admittedly I haven't listened to), the SP 1000 is probably different and not necessarily better - strictly from a sound standpoint (the AK UI, is objectively fantastic).

Therefore, if you want the sp1000, I would recommend listening to them first with your IEM/headphone of choice.

DX200 Amp 4 hits the sweet spot for me. As mentioned, I don't love the interface - but it's the best sound I've gotten out of my A18s thus far.

Last edited:
Jul 16, 2018 at 4:11 PM Post #179 of 1,568
Was curious if the SE100 would allow OTG storage like the SP1000 and it does. Tested a memory stick and an SD card reader and they both worked.

9938207_l.jpg

9938208_l.jpg

Cool

Users who are viewing this thread

Back