Astell & Kern SE100: A&futura Impressions - Reviews
Jul 14, 2018 at 9:03 PM Post #153 of 1,568
Hi All,

I received my SE 100 yesterday and have been playing with it for about 5 hours total now. Where to start? I guess with the looks and build quality first. Both to me are top notch. The screen clarity is fantastic and UI is intuitive and the OS is super fast. Transfering files using the AFT program A&K recommends is blazing fast when connected by the USB C cable to my iMac Pro. A 5gb files took about 90 seconds to transfer. I'm coming from the Sony NW-ZX2, which I loved the sound of (even with no updates and a messed up os) and stupidly left in a foreign country on a recent trip. As I would expect, the SE 100 is so much better in every functional respect. No surprise there being a brand new model.

As for listening, I have a variety of headphones but for travel, I have a set of 64 Audio U12's that I really love so I've spent the most time using these. I have also tried my Mr. Speakers Ether, and Audeze LCD-X. None of my cans are balanced so I'm using the 3.5 unbalanced output on the SE 100. My first impression of the sound was mixed. I felt the bass was bloated and the highs recessed. Especially on a bass heavy headphone like the Audeze. In looking for user available adjustments in the settings I came across the EQ function, noticed it was on, and I turned it off. This cleaned up the bass and put the highs where I thought they should be. Having the EQ on (it's on by default) boosts volume but seemed to distort the sound more. I can see when playing the SE 100 at a lower volume that having the EQ on could be helpful. Maybe that's what A&K means by "radical". Over the course of my listening so far the SE 100 has smoothed out, tightened up, and become a very fluid and musical player. If it needs more burn in I expect that it will sound even better. I have not had the opportunity to compare it to the AK SP 1000 and wouldn't go out of my way to do so since that one is really out of my price range. I've seen people here say the SP 1000 is still a better sounding player and heck, for twice the price, it should be. But compared to my now departed Sony, whos sound I loved for its warm, analog signature, the SE brings a lot of that warmth but with greater clarity and punch.

Is the SE 100 worth the price? That is a wholly subjective question, but in my humble opinion, this player is terrific. Highly resolving, no fatigue at this point, and very musical with a very true sound signature to what I hear when I play the same tracks on other audio equipment.

Jul 14, 2018 at 9:21 PM Post #154 of 1,568
I appreciate all of those with the SE100 who told us about their experience. Those that could compare it to the SP1000, so much the better. An important point is headphone matching, which I had probably not thought about enough. Of course, we all have different ears, so one person might say the SE100 is bright, another not. It seems clear that the SE100 is a fine dap, but, of course, for around double the money, the SP1000 had better be better. For cheapskates like me, I was hoping to hear they are almost the same. Wishful thinking. My strategy is going to be to get the SE100 and check it out. If I am happy with it, end of discussion. If it does not meet my needs sufficiently, then I will return it (thank God for Amazon's 30 day return policy) and probably upgrade to the SP1000. The Hugo 2 is an alternative. Many, though not all, seem to think it is an upgrade on the SP1000, but you lose some of the portability advantage and that probably trumps for me. Again, thanks for all of the helpful feedback and keep it coming!

Jul 14, 2018 at 9:47 PM Post #155 of 1,568
I appreciate all of those with the SE100 who told us about their experience. Those that could compare it to the SP1000, so much the better. An important point is headphone matching, which I had probably not thought about enough. Of course, we all have different ears, so one person might say the SE100 is bright, another not. It seems clear that the SE100 is a fine dap, but, of course, for around double the money, the SP1000 had better be better. For cheapskates like me, I was hoping to hear they are almost the same. Wishful thinking. My strategy is going to be to get the SE100 and check it out. If I am happy with it, end of discussion. If it does not meet my needs sufficiently, then I will return it (thank God for Amazon's 30 day return policy) and probably upgrade to the SP1000. The Hugo 2 is an alternative. Many, though not all, seem to think it is an upgrade on the SP1000, but you lose some of the portability advantage and that probably trumps for me. Again, thanks for all of the helpful feedback and keep it coming!
SP1000 is not better, its just different. SE100 is terrific and i really love it. I will get my SE100 on monday and since i tested SP1000 i will try to bring some specific info for you!

Jul 15, 2018 at 11:14 AM Post #159 of 1,568
Curious for impressions based on my sound preferences - using the 64 audio a18t.

I currently use the DX200 amp 4 which I prefer in order of preference to Opus #2, AK240, Fiio x7ii, Sony Wm1a, AkSp100, Sony WM1z

I know it’s strange that I like the 1z and Sp1000 least with the A18, but I like the Sabre chips with these CIEMs. This is for sound quality only; the ak UI, ak connect, and tidal integration blows 3verything else away for me (Sony is closest) - so I am intrigued to have a Sabre sound with an ak interface.

I really wanted to like the sp1000 and had it for almost a month before I returned it. I felt both upper and lower minds were too recessed, which improved soundstage but I found made it dull. It wasn’t the brightness that bothered me, but overall, sounded dry.The a18 is an exciting and lively CIEM and that took away from that. I wanted to like it, as the interface was so good, but just didn’t and couldn’t rationalize the price when i liked so many other daps sound better.

This is obviously about personal opinion and synergy. For those the have tried these daps, any impressions against how close these are to the other Sabre daps (Ibasso, Fiio, Opus, etc.) if the have a similar tonality to those - I’d get it. I even liked the Ibasso DX200 amp 1 better than the sp1000 in head to head comparisons.

Basically, if it’s closer to the sp1000 than those Sabre daps, I’m not interested - if it’s closer to the Sabre daps - I’ll get it.

Last edited:
Jul 15, 2018 at 12:31 PM Post #160 of 1,568
Curious for impressions based on my sound preferences - using the 64 audio a18t.

I currently use the DX200 amp 4 which I prefer in order of preference to Opus #2, AK240, Fiio x7ii, Sony Wm1a, AkSp100, Sony WM1z

I know it’s strange that I like the 1z and Sp1000 least with the A18, but I like the Sabre chips with these CIEMs. This is for sound quality only; the ak UI, ak connect, and tidal integration blows 3verything else away for me (Sony is closest) - so I am intrigued to have a Sabre sound with an ak interface.

I really wanted to like the sp1000 and had it for almost a month before I returned it. I felt both upper and lower minds were too recessed, which improved soundstage but I found made it dull. It wasn’t the brightness that bothered me, but overall, sounded dry.The a18 is an exciting and lively CIEM and that took away from that. I wanted to like it, as the interface was so good, but just didn’t and couldn’t rationalize the price when i liked so many other daps sound better.

This is obviously about personal opinion and synergy. For those the have tried these daps, any impressions against how close these are to the other Sabre daps (Ibasso, Fiio, Opus, etc.) if the have a similar tonality to those - I’d get it. I even liked the Ibasso DX200 amp 1 better than the sp1000 in head to head comparisons.

Basically, if it’s closer to the sp1000 than those Sabre daps, I’m not interested - if it’s closer to the Sabre daps - I’ll get it.

I have the DX200 AMP4 and Opus#2, though I haven't done direct comparisons to the SE100 yet.

However, from the simple listening I have done, I place the SE100 closer to the Opus#2 in terms of dynamics, resolution, and detail. The DX200 AMP4 seems to outshine them both in that regard.

Jul 15, 2018 at 12:35 PM Post #161 of 1,568
I have the DX200 AMP4 and Opus#2, though I haven't done direct comparisons to the SE100 yet.

However, from the simple listening I have done, I place the SE100 closer to the Opus#2 in terms of dynamics, resolution, and detail. The DX200 AMP4 seems to outshine them both in that regard.

Thanks Pinky. Agree sound quality of DX200 amp 4 is great. I can deal with the interface on the Ibasso vs the ak - I just wish I could play third party apps (I.e. tidal, pocket asts) without pops and clicks. Anyhow most of my listening is on sd card. Tough to justify a dap that’s twice the price for lesser sound quality (if that ends up being the case) even if the ui and tidal integration are top notch.

Jul 15, 2018 at 12:51 PM Post #162 of 1,568
Thanks Pinky. Agree sound quality of DX200 amp 4 is great. I can deal with the interface on the Ibasso vs the ak - I just wish I could play third party apps (I.e. tidal, pocket asts) without pops and clicks. Anyhow most of my listening is on sd card. Tough to justify a dap that’s twice the price for lesser sound quality (if that ends up being the case) even if the ui and tidal integration are top notch.

Quality may be close enough that it won't bother you. I know I've had nothing but joy listening to the SE100 with tia Fourté, Legend X, and such. Plus, the battery life is SOOO MUCH better than DX200 with AMP4. :D

Jul 15, 2018 at 1:37 PM Post #163 of 1,568
SP1000 is not better, its just different. SE100 is terrific and i really love it. I will get my SE100 on monday and since i tested SP1000 i will try to bring some specific info for you!
it may be true that people perceive sound slightly differently and its certainly true that everyone has different preferences. And therefore some people will prefer the sound of less expensive and less engineered products over more expensive products.
That said, objectively, some DAPs reproduce sound better than others. That's why professional reviewers use equipment and software to test output instead of relying only on their preferences and perceptions. Lower levels of distortion, higher uniformity throughout the frequency range, impedance levels that pair with a broader range of headphones....Some DAPs are absolutely better than others in that regard. They may not fit your particular needs, say for size, weight, UX, format support, pairing with certain headphones you already own, etc. You may need or prefer something else (or want to prefer something else).
For example, aesthetically, I think the SE100 has a great design. I like the offset angles, sharp edges, and its relatively low weight. But I like the heft and solidity of the SP100 even more. That's just my preference. But let's be clear -- sound reproduction can be objectively measured.

Last edited:
Jul 15, 2018 at 2:17 PM Post #164 of 1,568
But let's be clear -- sound reproduction can be objectively measured.
Let's be even clearer... certain technical aspects of sound reproduction can be objectively measured. Other aspects either can't be, or are not commonly measured. Those differences you describe in sound quality between the SP1000 and the SE100 lean more towards being the immeasurable differences than the measurable.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back