Astell & Kern SE100: A&futura Impressions - Reviews
Nov 29, 2018 at 11:47 AM Post #768 of 1,572
It really is comically poor and detracts from the experience massively - to the point I'm considering returning it, unless I can find a way around it.
My way of getting around it:
I made a master folder for every artist where I put their albums in it. So instead of going through artists directory, I search the folders.

Nov 29, 2018 at 12:37 PM Post #769 of 1,572
I got my SE100 and it does sound great! Coming from a DX200, the software update was a very welcome relief and super easy to update.
My only issue, most of my album art is missing. I loaded about 64 gb from Itunes with Android File Transfer and the music made it but most album art did not. I know there are some "Art Grabbers" out there, but only available for open Android devices. Any thoughts?

Nov 29, 2018 at 1:16 PM Post #770 of 1,572
I noticed since I upgraded to the most recent firmware version that my SE100 will occasionally stop playing in the middle of a song or not progress to the next song in a queue. Has anyone else experienced this problem?
Update: In case anyone at A&K is listening. I seem to have figured out the conditions under which this problem occurs. At this time I loaded the SriusXM service to my SE100 according to instruction provided by A&K. If I use the Sirius app for a while and then switch back to music on my device the problem of it randomly stopping in the middle of a song occurs. If I restart the device and play music from the device only it seems to be ok.

Nov 29, 2018 at 1:38 PM Post #771 of 1,572
Update: In case anyone at A&K is listening. I seem to have figured out the conditions under which this problem occurs. At this time I loaded the SriusXM service to my SE100 according to instruction provided by A&K. If I use the Sirius app for a while and then switch back to music on my device the problem of it randomly stopping in the middle of a song occurs. If I restart the device and play music from the device only it seems to be ok.
Thank you for the feedback. I will pass this onto our development team. I do know there will be some OS optimizations and bug fixes coming along with the MQA update the second week of December, so this may be addressed already.

@HiFiHillbilly can you confirm if the SiriusXM app is fully closed or is still running in the background when this occurs? If it is still running, you will see it in the notification bar when you swipe down from the top. If it is still running, you can swipe left or right to close it.

Astell&Kern Stay updated on Astell&Kern at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/astellnkern/ https://twitter.com/astell_kern https://www.instagram.com/astellnkern.official/ https://astellnkern.com astellnkern@astellnkern.com
Nov 29, 2018 at 3:00 PM Post #772 of 1,572
@HiFiHillbilly can you confirm if the SiriusXM app is fully closed or is still running in the background when this occurs? If it is still running, you will see it in the notification bar when you swipe down from the top. If it is still running, you can swipe left or right to close it.
Thanks Jason. I wondered the same thing, if the app was closed, but didn't know how to tell. I'll follow your suggestions and let you know if that works. Easy enough work around if it is.

Nov 29, 2018 at 3:47 PM Post #773 of 1,572
I used to have that. The ergonomics is not the greatest. Have to have a case with it. Sound is similar to AK380.

Nov 29, 2018 at 3:56 PM Post #774 of 1,572
Well it's arrived... charged, firmware upgraded... WOW. The clarity and detail is incredible, it really is leagues beyond the AK70 MkII.

Only thing I don't like is when you got to ARTISTS - tap the artist - then you have to scroll through the albums in alphabetical order.

Is there any way to just have the albums showing the artwork, rather than listing the tracks? (if that makes sense?)
Unfortunately, that is how it is right now. We have had a number of requests to make it collapsible so that you only see the album titles, then can click on it and expand if you want.

I put together a regular feature request list that I share with our HQ team based on feedback from Head-Fi. This has been on the list already, but will get bumped up to the top now since our top three requests have been taken care of - MQA, Tidal offline (via APK) and additional streaming services including Spotify.

Astell&Kern Stay updated on Astell&Kern at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/astellnkern/ https://twitter.com/astell_kern https://www.instagram.com/astellnkern.official/ https://astellnkern.com astellnkern@astellnkern.com
Nov 29, 2018 at 4:18 PM Post #775 of 1,572
I have to say that descriptions such as clinical, cold, sterile, non-musical, etc, do NOT apply to this device. It is an extremely musical player, with a huge amount of nuance, expression, and musical emotion. It makes it impossible to listen to my other DAP players at all... And the detail is off the charts.
I am really pleased with how great my Solaris' iems sound with this. Just simply at another level from dx200/andromeda’s.

Nov 29, 2018 at 4:29 PM Post #776 of 1,572
I have to say that descriptions such as clinical, cold, sterile, non-musical, etc, do NOT apply to this device. It is an extremely musical player, with a huge amount of nuance, expression, and musical emotion. It makes it impossible to listen to my other DAP players at all... And the detail is off the charts.
I am really pleased with how great my Solaris' iems sound with this. Just simply at another level from dx200/andromeda’s.
Could comment a bit more on the Solaris pairing? Thinking about getting that combo!

Nov 29, 2018 at 5:39 PM Post #777 of 1,572

Agreed. Very detailed but very musical. Love it

Nov 29, 2018 at 7:35 PM Post #778 of 1,572
Could comment a bit more on the Solaris pairing? Thinking about getting that combo!

Well, before getting the se100 I thought the solaris and andromeda’s were pretty close. The solaris were obviously more detailed, and more direct and up front, but I thought the andromeda’s were very pleasing in their unique version of transparency, and the bass which is actually a bit deeper and more powerful on andromeda’s (surprise to me!). But with se100 such silly comparisons become irrelevant as the solaris simply convey the music much better. The solaris and se100 are just great dance partners, leaving the andromeda’s at the table evaluating the certain frequencies which andromedas excel, but don’t inspire.
I sold my andromeda’s immediately after getting the se100, why keep them? I will always reach for the solaris if i want a campfire audio iem experience. No mistake, andromeda’s are great, but with the se100 the solaris kills ‘em.
This is a se100 thread, so i must mention the excellence running out of the balanced into Utopia’s, superb also.
Call me a fan!

Nov 30, 2018 at 2:39 AM Post #780 of 1,572
Unfortunately, that is how it is right now. We have had a number of requests to make it collapsible so that you only see the album titles, then can click on it and expand if you want.

I put together a regular feature request list that I share with our HQ team based on feedback from Head-Fi. This has been on the list already, but will get bumped up to the top now since our top three requests have been taken care of - MQA, Tidal offline (via APK) and additional streaming services including Spotify.

Jason, firstly thanks for the reply - great to see someone from AK on these forums.

A simple + next to the album to epxand / collapse the view would work wonders. Alternatively, the same sort of view that the AK70 Mk2 has of album covers (tiles or list) would also work, which allows you to drill down into the track listing.

Out of curiosity, would you be able to share the feature request list?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back