Astell&Kern SA700 - Past meets Present
Jan 19, 2020 at 9:50 PM Post #92 of 708
I was recently looking for a new DAP after I had the urge to replace my current Sony WM1A. I was really looking forward to the SA700 as I had a AK120 II previously.

My first impression was that it had the same lovely characteristics of my old 120 for good and for bad. For one, the Mids were intricately detailed allowing aspects like female vocals to really to be placed front and center with great separation. However, what I didn't like, and one of the things that reminded me of why I sold my 120 II, was the lack of Low and High end presence as others have eluded to. It's very much a Mid centric DAP that has a very intimate and personal feeling many people will love, but it wasn't for me at the moment. Especially with that slow UI.

It also may not of helped that I was comparing it to a B-Stock SP1000 for a $400 difference in price. But those are just my initial thoughts and I did end up walking out with a brick of a SP1000.

Jan 20, 2020 at 12:22 PM Post #94 of 708
To each his/her own but, for me, AK has the best Android customization out there as far as I am concerned.

If one is looking for a music-orientated UI with streaming capabilities when ones needs them yet otherwise on the side -- it is absolutely brilliant.

I mainly listen to local music and Spotify for discovery. The interface I had on my A&norma SR15 was the best I came across after Sony's on the ZX300 (which can't stream though).
+

Can you please explain the Android Customization. I am obviously missing a lot. I was very frustrated with trying to log on to internet at Hotel, until someone showed me how to do it. Things I would like to see in the software.
1. Tidal is an old version. I cannot update it so I had to side load another version. Now both versions show up. Makes the menu looked cluttered
2, The Services should be an icon menu available by swiping. Too many clicks to get to Tidal.
3. To many hidden things.
4. Fully functional Android? I cannot load anything other than 10 or so apps. No you tube. It would be nice to listen to some of the concerts on Youtube. Also, NPR music has some awesome in studio performances.
5. This has nothing to do with the sound but does hamper my enjoyment of the device.

Last edited:
Jan 20, 2020 at 12:37 PM Post #95 of 708
+

Can you please explain the Android Customization. I am obviously missing a lot. I was very frustrated with trying to log on to internet at Hotel, until someone showed me how to do it. Things I would like to see in the software.
1. Tidal is an old version. I cannot update it so I had to side load another version. Now both versions show up. Makes the menu looked cluttered
2, The Services should be an icon menu available by swiping. Too many clicks to get to Tidal.
3. To many hidden things.
4. Fully functional Android? I cannot load anything other than 10 or so apps. No you tube. It would be nice to listen to some of the concerts on Youtube. Also, NPR music has some awesome in studio performances.
5. This has nothing to do with the sound but does hamper my enjoyment of the device.

A&K’s interface focuses on music.

Without playing with words too much, all else is on the side.

As I personally enjoy the notion of actually processing my music, I mainly use offline music files I bought and use Spotify Premium for discovery as well as in my car.

Accordingly, A&K’s Android customization fits my music flow rather well.

For what I can read, you would be much better suited with DAPs featuring a full Android OS where you would be able to do everything you mentioned above via a somewhat familiar interface.

Last edited:
Jan 20, 2020 at 12:43 PM Post #96 of 708
A&K’s interface focuses on music.

Without playing with words too much, all else is on the side.

As I personally enjoy the notion of actually processing my music, I mainly use offline music files I bought and use Spotify Premium for discovery as well as in my car.

Accordingly, A&K’s Android customization fits my music flow rather well.

For what I can read, you would be much better suited with DAPs featuring a full Android OS where you would be able to do everything you mentioned above via a somewhat familiar interface.

I totally agree, unfortunately I was not able to test or play with this locally. I had to buy based off reviews, and this unit had/has none. I do enjoy its sound, but I would probably have been better served with another device.

Ryan

Jan 20, 2020 at 12:47 PM Post #97 of 708
I totally agree, unfortunately I was not able to test or play with this locally. I had to buy based off reviews, and this unit had/has none. I do enjoy its sound, but I would probably have been better served with another device.

Ryan

Don’t beat yourself too hard.

Jack of all trades usually implies master of none.

For streaming / discovery I quickly found out that the best devices are our smartphones. High-quality DAC/Amp dongles at good prices are slowly getting there and I believe there’s a place for them as I wrote in my last review.

I am myself eying an SP1000M from A&K but not necessarily for the high-end TOTL sound but more for its size and overall capability. It’s often a question of trade offs but you have a DAP from one of the best brands out there so... enjoy it!

Last edited:
Jan 20, 2020 at 7:00 PM Post #98 of 708
Only review out there (its annoying how little there is online): https://www.munkonggadget.com/ContentHome/content_9896.html unless you speak Thai, Google Translate will be useful. Looks very promising.

The paranoid in me is telling me there’s a reason why A&K isn’t pushing too much this one out to reviewers... :ghost:

Last edited:
Jan 21, 2020 at 11:25 AM Post #99 of 708
I narrowed my choice to A&K's SP1000M and SA700.

On a Cold - Neutral - Warm scale, I'm looking for a neutral/warm sound signature.

Currently using Campfire Audio Andromeda Special Edition: Gold & Sony NW-ZX300.

Anyone could chime in in order to help me make my final decision (can't test either of them I'm afraid)?

Thanks!

Last edited:
Jan 21, 2020 at 5:36 PM Post #101 of 708
I narrowed my choice to A&K's SP1000M and SA700.

On a Cold - Neutral - Warm scale, I'm looking for a neutral/warm sound signature.

Currently using Campfire Audio Andromeda Special Edition: Gold & Sony NW-ZX300.

Anyone could chime in in order to help me make my final decision (can't test either of them I'm afraid)?

Thanks!

I currently use daily an Andromeda S and did have a quick listen to the SP1000m while I was testing the SA700. In my experience, I found the SA700 to really bring the Mids front and centre while making aspects like vocals sound incredibly intimate. Even at the cost of leaving some aspects like percussion left behind in the soundstage.

The SP1000m (and SP1000) were far more neutral and really expanded the IEM across all the frequencies, especially in the low end. However, I wouldn't call either of the SP1000's warm in comparison to something like the Sony WM1A (in my experience).

In short, I found the SA700 to be delicate and very mid centric. While the SP1000m was punchy and detailed across the board, and found it to suit the already forward facing andro’s more. But, I would have a hard time recommending the SP1000m if you were paying a retail price for it.

Jan 21, 2020 at 11:08 PM Post #102 of 708
SA700 x m.chat please!

Jan 22, 2020 at 5:18 AM Post #103 of 708
I currently use daily an Andromeda S and did have a quick listen to the SP1000m while I was testing the SA700. In my experience, I found the SA700 to really bring the Mids front and centre while making aspects like vocals sound incredibly intimate. Even at the cost of leaving some aspects like percussion left behind in the soundstage.

The SP1000m (and SP1000) were far more neutral and really expanded the IEM across all the frequencies, especially in the low end. However, I wouldn't call either of the SP1000's warm in comparison to something like the Sony WM1A (in my experience).

In short, I found the SA700 to be delicate and very mid centric. While the SP1000m was punchy and detailed across the board, and found it to suit the already forward facing andro’s more. But, I would have a hard time recommending the SP1000m if you were paying a retail price for it.

I can get either of them for the same price (long story).

For what I understand, I better take the SP1000M as a weak lower-end is a no go for me. I also prefer an overall balanced sound rather than having an emphasis somewhere.

Not to mention that the weight of the SA700 is a bit of an issue for me and that the SP1000M features an Octa-core which isn't something to ignore when using a device daily.

Thanks again!

Jan 22, 2020 at 4:44 PM Post #104 of 708

For what I understand, I better take the SP1000M as a weak lower-end is a no go for me. I also prefer an overall balanced sound rather than having an emphasis somewhere.

Not to mention that the weight of the SA700 is a bit of an issue for me and that the SP1000M features an Octa-core which isn't something to ignore when using a device daily.

Thanks again!

Not a problem!

Yeah I didn't want to mention it but the sluggish UI too much since the sound is the important bit. It was an issue for me and I was really hoping for something better at the price the SA700 is offered.
If it was my money, I wouldn't hesitate for the SP1000m at the same price. But I don't think you can make a bad choice between the two!

edit: I should also add that I found the SP1000M more musical compared to its bigger brother, so if that's your thing, you should go for it!

Last edited:
Jan 22, 2020 at 4:56 PM Post #105 of 708

Holy smoke, if you can get the SP1000M for nearly half price, jump all over that!

Bloom Audio Headphones and Personal Audio with Pitch Perfect Service. Stay updated on Bloom Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/BloomAudioStore https://twitter.com/BloomAudioStore https://www.instagram.com/BloomAudioStore https://bloomaudio.com hello@bloomaudio.com

Users who are viewing this thread

Back