Astell&Kern new flagship A&Ultima SP2000
Jul 29, 2020 at 6:02 AM Post #3,497 of 5,856
I'm sorry but why does that guy keep saying that combo is better than sp2k in here ????? Its really annoying. It depends on people taste. I don't know about 2go but I used to have hugo 2. For me, it isn't better than sp2k.

Hi mate,

Yes, it's very annoying, he keeps doing it on other threads, everyone is entitled to their opinion and everyone hears things differently and has different taste. However, he is trying to ram his opinion down everyone's throats and if you don't agree with him you are wrong, something is wrong with him. He may feel he is trying to help people but he is going the wrong way about it and you have to speak to certain people in the right way.

Depending on my mood and taste I will grab my Hugo 2, Sony WM1Z, AK 380 Copper with amp or some of my other devices.

I did listen in February at the Bristol Hi Fi show to the Hugo 2 and 2 Go it did sound fantastic but I wouldn't purchase it yet as it has too many teething problems, I also caught the virus on the last day of the show and it took me four weeks to recover.

It will be interesting to hear what the new AK player sounds like, anyway enjoy your SP2000 and your music and keep safe.

Tony

Jul 29, 2020 at 6:45 AM Post #3,499 of 5,856
In the end, Hugo2 will win for power superiority. (against every dap)
SP2000 win for detail retrieval and purity of sound.
Like them all.

Best Regards,

Jul 29, 2020 at 8:47 AM Post #3,501 of 5,856
Again, power does not equate to better. Better is super subjective, and the SP2K checks my boxes. Power is many times mistaken for quality.

Jul 29, 2020 at 12:04 PM Post #3,503 of 5,856
In the end, Hugo2 will win for power superiority. (against every dap)
SP2000 win for detail retrieval and purity of sound.
Like them all.

Best Regards,
I don't understand this. Hugo specs say 94mW @ 300 Ohms, 740mW @ 32, 1050 @ 8. All of these are lower than the power implied by SP2000's (balanced) 6Vrms output, although Hugo2 clearly produces more than SP2000's SE output.

Is the SP2000 deficient in current output?

Jul 30, 2020 at 12:20 AM Post #3,509 of 5,856
I don't understand this. Hugo specs say 94mW @ 300 Ohms, 740mW @ 32, 1050 @ 8. All of these are lower than the power implied by SP2000's (balanced) 6Vrms output, although Hugo2 clearly produces more than SP2000's SE output.

Is the SP2000 deficient in current output?
SP2000 have redundant power for most 64 or noble.
But the problem is about the sound stage coherent, bass line separation.
It is not about how loud it can drive the iems, sp2000 can handle mine within (VoL 40 90), above that the distortion appears and sound will collapse the stage.

Especially for hard to drive, you can see the big difference.
HugoTT2 is out of the league but if you need an example, it is more drastic example.
With more power, you will have better control, better density and more expand of note(without overlap the detail).

That's my experience, the number does not tell you all the aspects because it only shows the specification at one frequency for example(1000Hz). In additional, the impedance of items (especially multiple driver with crossover ) is noticeable varied across the frequency spectrum, then it is very hard to evaluated base on one number. Furthermore, the power is restrict by U and I, the are case it limited by Max output I and Max output U, the sp2000 bust the vol up to 6Vrm, but when compared to HugoTT2(Low Gain - 3Vrm or 2Vrm), HugoTT2 is much better then I think the limitation is in the current output. It is hard to output more than sp2000 can do for a portable.

Furthermore, I think it is the topic for SP2000 so we should come back haha :)

Regards,

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back