Astell&Kern Launches New TWS Earbud, the UW100 MK II
Aug 7, 2023 at 10:00 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 31
Next-Level True Wireless Sound

Astell&Kern Launches 2nd Generation True Wireless Stereo (TWS) Earphones, the AK UW100 MK II

UW100MK2_earbuds.jpg

Astell&Kern, a global leader in high-resolution audio players and accessories, launches the UW100 MK II, an update to the brand’s popular audiophile-grade True Wireless Stereo (TWS) earphone first released in 2022. The UW100 MK II will be available at authorized Astell&Kern dealers worldwide in September 2023 for $299.

Most True Wireless Stereo (TWS) products available today utilize the generic Digital to Audio Converter (DAC) built into the Bluetooth module, focusing on lower power consumption rather than better sound quality. In the UW1000 MK II, Astell&Kern combines the unique amplifier and audio circuit technology developed for A&K’s digital audio players with an Asahi Kasei AKM 32-bit Hi-Fi DAC, to reproduce sound on a whole new level compared to other true wireless earbuds that just use the BT-chipset-integrated DAC.

The UW100 MK II enables clearer and more accurate sound reproduction in all music genres by adopting Knowles Balanced Armature Drivers, which are typically used in expensive IEM (in ear monitor) systems, instead of the Dynamic Drivers that are common in generic TWS systems.

UW100MKII_Expanded_View2.jpg

With the UW100 MK II, Astell&Kern has further improved on the highly regarded TWS design of the original UW100. The position of the BA driver has been moved towards the inside of the ear to better deliver the finer audio details more directly, and the acoustic chamber structure and mesh size have been re-designed multiple times in accordance with the new BA driver position to deliver the optimal sound output. The new design took numerous attempts to minimize sound diffusion to provide a more delicate and dynamic performance and a richer high-frequency expression.

Based on technology and sound expertise perfected over the past 10+ years, the UW100 MK II features AMP and circuit technology developed by Astell&Kern that enables separation of the digital parts and analog circuits of the wireless earphone. This updated TWS design allows for further noise reduction than the previous model, offering clearer sounds with higher separation levels.

The AK UW100 MK II uses best-in-class Passive Noise Isolation (PNI) to immerse you completely in the music. Implemented correctly, passive noise isolation is sufficient to reduce noise physically.

Unlike generic ANC, which concentrates on cancelling low-frequency noise, PNI can efficiently cancel unwanted ambient noise in the mid and high ranges, as well as higher-pitched sounds.

Notably, the AK UW100 MK II noise cancelling capability is comparable to that of ANC, even for low frequencies. A significant feature of passive noise isolation is that sound quality is retained since noise is attenuated by the structure of the earbuds rather than by software in the case of active noise cancellation.

Developed with the help of countless simulations, the AK UW100 MK II's best-in-class PNI capability allows you to escape annoying ambient noise and allows the listener to immerse oneself in an experience where only you and the artist exist.

If the listener wishes to hear ambient sounds, a single tap on the left earbud activates ambient mode. You can switch between the four ambient modes by tapping the left earbud or using the AK Control app, available for iOS and Android devices.

The AK UW100 MK II features powerful wireless performance enabled by the premium-tier Qualcomm QCC5141 Bluetooth chipset and includes support for aptX™ Adaptive, Qualcomm's next-generation high-quality codec for wireless 24-bit sound quality and Bluetooth 5.2 support, for better connectivity than other TWS products.

With the aptX™ Adaptive codec, latency — the downside of Bluetooth audio — has been significantly improved. aptX Adaptive also provides a feature that adjusts the bit rate according to the content or wireless environment and supports 24-bit audio through a bit rate of up to 420 kbps.

In addition, Qualcomm True Wireless Stereo Plus mode minimizes transmission delay by transmitting independent signals to each earbud.

UW100MK2_accessories.jpg

With support for USB-C fast charging and wireless charging support, the UW100 MK II can provide one hour of playback with a ten-minute charge. Fully charged, the UW100 MK II provides continuous playback of approximately 9.5 hours and up to 29 hours of total playback with the case. Five different sized ear tips are included for the best fit.

The AK UW100 MK II contains two mics per earbud and features Qualcomm® cVc™ Generation 8.0 (Clear Voice Capture) codec that creates enhanced call solutions for clearer and more stable call quality. The Clear Voice Capture technology used in cVc Generation 8.0 keeps background noise in check and always delivers clear voice audio. Now you can experience not only the ultimate Hi-Fi sound of AK UW 100 MKII when listening to music, but also more powerful, crystal-clear call quality.

Touch controls on each earbud allow a simple tap to switch between functions including playing music, answering calls, activate ambient mode, adjust the volume and more. Tapping the left earbud three times will activate your smartphone's Voice Assistant function and allow you to control music playback, make phone calls and more just with the sound of your voice.

With support for multipoint and multi-pairing, you can pair your UW100 MK II earbuds to multiple devices at the same time. Not only can you easily switch your connection to another mobile device, but you can also listen to songs played on your tablet, computer, or DAP, while actively allowing phone notifications and calls from your smartphone. The Multi-Point function supports a connection of up to two devices.

The AK UW100MKII also supports Google's Fast Pair Service, allowing for easier and faster connection with Android devices. Fast Pair Service utilizes Bluetooth Low Energy technology to automatically recognize and pair Bluetooth devices. By simply opening the cradle of the UW100 MK II near an Android device, it enters pairing mode, eliminating the hassle of opening Bluetooth settings, and providing a simple and convenient way to pair the device.

The AK Control companion app, available for iOS and Android devices, allows the listener to customize the touch controls, ambient levels, use pre-set EQ settings, create custom EQ profiles and more.

As with all Astell&Kern products, design is just as important as providing the best sound possible. The product design emphasizes the contrasting surfaces, allowing users to appreciate the shapes, colors, materials, and finishes used in the earbuds and how they play with the light, and to picture in turn the stellar beauty and delicacy of the sound created by Astell&Kern as it is focused and diffused.

Designed to fit snugly in the ear, the earbuds' shape is transformed from a pentagon to a circle, just as the sound flowing through them transforms when it is gathered, refined, and then reproduced with clarity.

The AK UW100MKII cradle design combines two pentagon-shaped ear buds, representing the continuity of light and shade, the identity of Astell&Kern. While the cradle of the original UW100 actively displayed the identity of AK, the UW100MKII cradle keeps the essence of Astell&Kern design, while increasing portability with a smaller case.

The Astell&Kern UW100 MK II will be available in September 2023 at authorized Astell&Kern dealers worldwide for $299.

Astell&Kern Stay updated on Astell&Kern at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/astellnkern/ https://twitter.com/astell_kern https://www.instagram.com/astellnkern.official/ https://astellnkern.com astellnkern@astellnkern.com
Aug 8, 2023 at 11:45 AM Post #2 of 31
Very interesting, I appreciate that you added customisable controls and multipoint! Will there be an option to pause music whenever you activate ambient mode?

Shame that there isn't ANC tho... I get that it's not the best for SQ, but the times I need ANC I usually don't do any critical listning anyway.

Would have also loved to finally see a tws with one of the latest Qualcomm SoC... The 5141 is quite dated. I'm guessing Qualcomm still have loads of them in stock lol.

Aptx lossless with LE audio would have been so sweet... :frowning2:

Do you plan to sell the gen 2 via Amazon as well?

Last edited:
Aug 8, 2023 at 12:24 PM Post #4 of 31
Will there be an option to pause music whenever you activate ambient mode?
Yes, there is option to pause music by touching the earbud or via the app.

Do you plan to sell the gen 2 via Amazon as well?
Should be available on Amazon via authorized dealers who sell on Amazon

Astell&Kern Stay updated on Astell&Kern at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/astellnkern/ https://twitter.com/astell_kern https://www.instagram.com/astellnkern.official/ https://astellnkern.com astellnkern@astellnkern.com
Aug 8, 2023 at 12:41 PM Post #6 of 31
I might get a pair of these - I got the Svanar wireless now, and they are really something when it comes to bass and clarity when I A/B with wired, I can hear a difference, but when I don't think about it - they do sound really good. For me, it was tip-rolling that saved me... Manufacturers need to include more tips - even if that means another $10 as the number of happy customers and return customers will be WAY higher. Especially in a consumer market where these belong. Some just don't fit me at all, and then I get disappointed and try to find something that fits/the added cost and time to correct...

Aug 8, 2023 at 1:15 PM Post #8 of 31
It just has one BA? And that covers the bass and everything? Well it does say full range. I just think it's incredible how one driver is able to do all that. I will add in I have a set of 2BA and they are awesome sounding

Last edited:
Aug 8, 2023 at 2:11 PM Post #9 of 31
It just has one BA? And that covers the bass and everything?
The first gen actually had pretty good bass response for a BA, and SQ was pretty good overall, and honestly I like them over my Beoplay EX. My only two problems were that the charging case was huge, call quality wasn’t too great…sounds like A&K addressed these issues, and at a lower price vs the MK1

Aug 8, 2023 at 5:32 PM Post #10 of 31
It just has one BA? And that covers the bass and everything? Well it does say full range. I just think it's incredible how one driver is able to do all that. I will add in I have a set of 2BA and they are awesome sounding
Yeah 1 BA I'm skeptical af.

Aug 8, 2023 at 5:49 PM Post #11 of 31
No IPX rating? Not suitable for gym use? I'm a headphone guy almost exclusively -- except at the gym, where my absurd sweating powers force me to IEM's of some sort another, either wired to a small EarStudio BT receiver in my pocket, or else TWS, such as AirPods Pro or Campfire Audio Orbit.

However, without any protection against sweat, these would die quickly for me. :frowning2:

I may end up picking up those new HiFiMAN TWS for $499 -- they have an IPX rating.

Aug 8, 2023 at 7:13 PM Post #14 of 31
wish it had LDAC. I'm using the Svanar Wireless and really enjoying them (with my AK DAP)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back