Astell&Kern Launches New flagship DAP and an IEM Collaboration with Empire Ears
Sep 17, 2022 at 8:46 PM Post #212 of 395
Nothing good for you about it, you said SP3k on streaming is overkill, all I said was it's price point is entry level in the hifi world.
Elaborate why SP3000 is overkill for streaming
I already told you. Show me how you download... well, let's not even go into DSD256 area. How you are downloading flac files that are around 100-200 megabytes per song on the go. Then I'll admit that I was wrong and SP3k is totally not overkill for mainly streaming application.

Sep 17, 2022 at 10:44 PM Post #213 of 395
I already told you. Show me how you download... well, let's not even go into DSD256 area. How you are downloading flac files that are around 100-200 megabytes per song on the go. Then I'll admit that I was wrong and SP3k is totally not overkill for mainly streaming application.
You don’t have LTE? Or high speed internet? If you don’t have decent Internet, there is really no discussions to be had. Upgrade your Internet first before even considering a top-of-the-line device.

Sep 18, 2022 at 12:27 AM Post #215 of 395
For anyone here at the Irvine Marriott for Canjam SoCal, I will have the EMPIRE EARS X ASTELL&KERN ODYSSEY in the lobby starting around 11pm tonight, I'll probably be down there for a about an hour or two, just shoot me a pm if you need help finding me.

Sep 18, 2022 at 6:08 AM Post #216 of 395
You don’t have LTE? Or high speed internet? If you don’t have decent Internet, there is really no discussions to be had. Upgrade your Internet first before even considering a top-of-the-line device.
No, no, let's discuss. Thanks for your most welcome suggestion, but I already have sp2k with Odin, and am enjoying it without any streaming services. Really weird, I know:thinking:

I've become curious now. What plan do you have, for instance? Cause let's calculate (i'll take myself as an example) - I listen averagely to smth around 30 songs per day, with various quality, so 100MB X 30 = 3 GB per day, roughly. This means around 90 GB of traffic (tbh probably even more in my case, but it's ofc very personal). Here, down under, we have crapty internet indeed, so maybe in UK or US it's cheaper? But anyway, such plan will cost me around 60 aud per month, which is 720 aud per year. So, 500 usd. Quite pricey! And now, sorry for my skepticism, but I don't believe that everyone is going this way. Not to mention the battery drain that goes along with transferring so much data and other inconveniences, like the speed and coverage of the internet.

Anyway, glad you can afford it!:) And probably Popey wouldn't mind paying this as well, as he has 30k$ system at home. But...let's return to the whole discussion from the start and sum up.

1. A guy asks about how much will SP3k drop in price in 5 years.
2. He says he'll use it mainly with streaming app
3. In 5 years (by my estimations, which are very very imprecise, but still) he will need to pay around 2500 usd just for the internet.
4. Meanwhile, he has 30K$ system at home, which loses even more money each year.

Am I the only one who sees that there's something very strange?..

Sep 18, 2022 at 6:33 AM Post #217 of 395
No, no, let's discuss. Thanks for your most welcome suggestion, but I already have sp2k with Odin, and am enjoying it without any streaming services. Really weird, I know:thinking:

I've become curious now. What plan do you have, for instance? Cause let's calculate (i'll take myself as an example) - I listen averagely to smth around 30 songs per day, with various quality, so 100MB X 30 = 3 GB per day, roughly. This means around 90 GB of traffic (tbh probably even more in my case, but it's ofc very personal). Here, down under, we have crapty internet indeed, so maybe in UK or US it's cheaper? But anyway, such plan will cost me around 60 aud per month, which is 720 aud per year. So, 500 usd. Quite pricey! And now, sorry for my skepticism, but I don't believe that everyone is going this way. Not to mention the battery drain that goes along with transferring so much data and other inconveniences, like the speed and coverage of the internet.

Anyway, glad you can afford it!:) And probably Popey wouldn't mind paying this as well, as he has 30k$ system at home. But...let's return to the whole discussion from the start and sum up.

1. A guy asks about how much will SP3k drop in price in 5 years.
2. He says he'll use it mainly with streaming app
3. In 5 years (by my estimations, which are very very imprecise, but still) he will need to pay around 2500 usd just for the internet.
4. Meanwhile, he has 30K$ system at home, which loses even more money each year.

Am I the only one who sees that there's something very strange?..

Here in the UK, unlimited fiber internet is on average about £30 per month.
Internet is used for a whole host of things and music is just a proportion.
Also in the UK most people have unlimited phone data, again this can be very easily tethered to your phone as a WiFi hotspot so if you like, you don't even need to use your home WiFi and you have WiFi not out and about on the go.
The cost of WiFi is an essential thing in this day an age, whether it's for music or not.
My Main hifi system is actually worth almost what I paid for it and is one of the reasons I have suck with Naim for many years as their value holds ridiculously well. With the global chip shortage and COVID supply issues the prices of Naim used equipment has elevated even further and some items even sell for above retail now.
This is completely off topic and the path you have drifted into is by the by.

Last edited:
Sep 18, 2022 at 7:42 AM Post #218 of 395
Here in the UK, unlimited fiber internet is on average about £30 per month.
So...pretty much the same price. And while internet is essential, one can go with a cheaper plan, usually, you don't need 100 GB of data per month. Although, I am surprised that you have unlimited data with any plan. Maybe you meant with high speed? Because after you reach the cap, speed decreases drastically. But if I am wrong, that's very cool that you have such service.

My Main hifi system is actually worth almost what I paid for it and is one of the reasons I have suck with Naim for many years as their value holds ridiculously well.
Sorry, can't believe this. 2 years Naim gear is currently on sale at around 60% of the price on eBay, you can check if you want. Maybe you have some very special limited edition?..

Sep 18, 2022 at 7:50 AM Post #219 of 395
Depends on the item, but I can tell you now there is nothing 60% less what was paid for it that 2 years prior. Especially if you factor in Naims annual price increase, which is normally 10% annually.

Sep 18, 2022 at 7:50 AM Post #220 of 395
So...pretty much the same price. And while internet is essential, one can go with a cheaper plan, usually, you don't need 100 GB of data per month. Although, I am surprised that you have unlimited data with any plan. Maybe you meant with high speed? Because after you reach the cap, speed decreases drastically. But if I am wrong, that's very cool that you have such service.
i used to live in melbourne, internet sucked over there (almost everything else was amazing…). in switzerland i pay 40CHF for fibre internet with up to 10Gbit/s without regression after a specific amout of data. also 5G unlimited plan over the mobile phone. I‘ve never had trouble streaming big files…

Sep 18, 2022 at 9:02 AM Post #221 of 395
I envy you Europeans and your cheap internet. I thought us in the US get the raw end of the stick with internet. Never mind metered internet.

My cell phone plan is $110 for 2 lines and home internet is $80. I do not get metered on either line so I can stream all I want. And home internet is 1000 Mbps, and cell is 300Mbps.

That said big files are no issue for me.

Last edited:
Sep 18, 2022 at 9:03 AM Post #222 of 395
I live in Melbourne and have very fast and reliable internet that costs AUD $110 for unlimited data at maximum speed. It really depends on the infrastructure of your area but it’s improved a lot in recent years and most metropolitan areas have good internet.

Regarding some comments earlier saying SP3K is overkill if you only listen to streamed music, I have to say that I disagree completely. I only listen to streamed music, using both Tidal and Apple Music (in lossless quality for both). If you can’t hear a difference between various sources at different levels of quality with streamed music, then I’d be questioning your hearing ability. To my ears, there are significant sound quality improvements that can be gained using better quality sources/DAPs.

Sep 18, 2022 at 9:05 AM Post #223 of 395
I live in Melbourne and have very fast and reliable internet that costs AUD $110 for unlimited data at maximum speed. It really depends on the infrastructure of your area but it’s improved a lot in recent years and most metropolitan areas have good internet.

Regarding some comments earlier saying SP3K is overkill if you only listen to streamed music, I have to say that I disagree completely. I only listen to streamed music, using both Tidal and Apple Music (in lossless quality for both). If you can’t hear a difference between various sources at different levels of quality with streamed music, then I’d be questioning your hearing ability. To my ears, there are significant sound quality improvements that can be gained using better quality sources/DAPs.
I agree. Something that comes to mind immediately is the improvement in separation and imaging.

Sep 18, 2022 at 1:02 PM Post #224 of 395
❗️Many have been waiting for the new Flagship to be able to drive not only the Focals satisfactorily❗

The most beautiful housing/material and best Dac implementation is of no use if the DAP only drives IEMS in top form and the Over Ear models do not
And sorry.... but this must also be mentioned...because this is a 3700 USD/4300 Euro player❗
(And those who know me ....know that I am very strict)
How much must a Flagship cost from A&K to have the half output performance of a Lotoo Titanium or M17?
7000 USD ⁉️
And they had enough time to finally open up here

NOMAX

PS.including me

So Now...my listening impressions with the SP3000 and the NEW UTOPIA (with the Crystal Cable Double Duet Balanced cable)

Oh Boy....
This sounds completely different from the typical A&K house sound
Much more organic, the voices much more emphasized and realistic, this is really great cinema 👍👍

Too bad, I would have really wished for many others that they can drive the one or the other headphones with it satisfactorily

NOMAX

PS.Don't worry I'll tell you what I like 😉

Last edited:
Sep 18, 2022 at 1:24 PM Post #225 of 395
Does anybody know where the SP3000 is manufactured?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back