Astell&Kern Launches New A&norma SR35 Player
Sep 18, 2023 at 4:01 AM Post #391 of 604
Personally I still wouldn't recommend the SR35 due to the smaller soundstage compared to other players in the price range. And the massive soundstage is one of the big party pieces of the HD800S and the main reason to go for the HD800/HD800S so why reduce it. Other options like a Shanling M6 Ultra or FiiO M15S if you can stretch for them would be a better option with a way smoother user experience and (in my opinion) better sound quality.

Edit: I see you've made a choice, and the same one I've made.
Although I've had some complications with the delivery getting lost, so I'm waiting for the store to get stock again. Which should be this week.

I've actually made a new choice - the Astell & Kern PA10 portable amp. I'm finding it to be demonstrably better than the Fiio M15s, which is going to be returned. For a source, I'm using an old phone with a Lotoo PAW S1 dongle that I already had - it sounds great with the PA10.

Sep 18, 2023 at 11:26 AM Post #392 of 604
I have just found this answer in the AK SP3000 thread from November 2022 :pensive:

If it is indeed impossible to add any additional keyboard on the TOTL DAP of AK, I guess it is the same for the SR35 model.
So I'm definitely stuck with English and QWERTY keyboard... completely insane in 2023!!! Needless to say, I'm really disappointed.

Moreover I can read in the AK SR35 user manual the following sentences...

AKSR35.jpg

As I bought the DAP through an authorized A&K dealer in France, is it normal that the 'French' language is not even available on my device ? :thinking:

I will wait @JasonNYC 's answer. However, I'm seriously thinking to send it back to the dealer for refund and choosing a DAP from another brand (Android based without any restriction).
Just saw your post from this weekend. I reached out to the software team. It is overnight in Korea at the moment, hope to have an update for you tomorrow.

Astell&Kern Stay updated on Astell&Kern at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/astellnkern/ https://twitter.com/astell_kern https://www.instagram.com/astellnkern.official/ https://astellnkern.com astellnkern@astellnkern.com
Sep 18, 2023 at 1:49 PM Post #393 of 604
Just saw your post from this weekend. I reached out to the software team. It is overnight in Korea at the moment, hope to have an update for you tomorrow.

Thank you very much @JasonNYC for your fast reply :thumbsup:

I'm wondering if I've received a device targeted for another market than Europe (eg. Asia or US) from the french AK dealer.
Please note that I sent also this morning an email to this dealer as well as to the AK customer support in Europe and headquarters in Korea.
I look then forward to hearing from AK in the coming days with a solution.

Sep 18, 2023 at 2:20 PM Post #394 of 604
Thank you very much @JasonNYC for your fast reply :thumbsup:

I'm wondering if I've received a device targeted for another market than Europe (eg. Asia or US) from the french AK dealer.
Please note that I sent also this morning an email to this dealer as well as to the AK customer support in Europe and headquarters in Korea.
I look then forward to hearing from AK in the coming days with a solution.
I think this is a bug on some of the players with new UI as I can confirm a number of players with the older UI do have the option to change to a variety of different keyboards and multiple keyboards are available on the SE300 with new UI, but not the SP3000 or SR35.

https://www.facebook.com/astellnkern/ https://twitter.com/astell_kern https://www.instagram.com/astellnkern.official/ https://astellnkern.com astellnkern@astellnkern.com
Sep 19, 2023 at 4:06 AM Post #396 of 604
I think this is a bug on some of the players with new UI as I can confirm a number of players with the older UI do have the option to change to a variety of different keyboards and multiple keyboards are available on the SE300 with new UI, but not the SP3000 or SR35.
@JasonNYC , I received this morning the following answer from AK customer support in Korea...
For additional keyboard language input, Gboard apk file will need to be downloaded and installed.
1. Download the 'Gboard' apk file.
2. Connect the SR35 to the PC, and put the apk file to the 'SR35 Internal storage -> OpenService' folder
3. Go to 'Services' in SR35 and install the apk file
4. From 'Settings -> Keyboard -> Manage keyboard' enable Gboard
5. From 'Settings -> Keyboard -> Current keyboard' select Gboard
6. Go to 'Services -> Gboard' select '"french" keyboard
*Open App services are additional services that were added in the device for users convenience. Therefore, depending on the app provider, some services may not be available or supported as desired. If the issue persists only when using the Open App Service, it is considered not an issue with AK.

Where am I suppose to find 'Gboard' apk file ?
Is it available somewhere on AK website ?
Could you provide a link to this file ?

I'm also a bit afraid of AK statement regarding Open App services.

Sep 20, 2023 at 3:23 AM Post #397 of 604
@JasonNYC , I received this morning the following answer from AK customer support in Korea...
For additional keyboard language input, Gboard apk file will need to be downloaded and installed.
1. Download the 'Gboard' apk file.
2. Connect the SR35 to the PC, and put the apk file to the 'SR35 Internal storage -> OpenService' folder
3. Go to 'Services' in SR35 and install the apk file
4. From 'Settings -> Keyboard -> Manage keyboard' enable Gboard
5. From 'Settings -> Keyboard -> Current keyboard' select Gboard
6. Go to 'Services -> Gboard' select '"french" keyboard
*Open App services are additional services that were added in the device for users convenience. Therefore, depending on the app provider, some services may not be available or supported as desired. If the issue persists only when using the Open App Service, it is considered not an issue with AK.

Where am I suppose to find 'Gboard' apk file ?
Is it available somewhere on AK website ?
Could you provide a link to this file ?

I'm also a bit afraid of AK statement regarding Open App services.

Follow-up to my questions to AK customer support in Korea...

You may try to download the app’s apk from https://apkpure.com/(most-known 3rd party website). However kindly note, not all .apk downloaded may be supported in our device due to some restrictions on services, policies and updates.
*All apps are developed and serviced by third -party companies and services. Astell&Kern has no control over apps, functions or errors in a certain application. While we recommend certain APK download sites to get streaming apks, the original source of the apps listed is unknown and is not provided by Astell & Kern.

So my SR35 has now a Gboard keyboard up and running with French language and AZERTY layout enabled :sunglasses:

20230920_085914.jpg
Please note that I'm not comfortable at all with the fact that I need to install a third party application that will not be supported by AK. Moreover, I do not understand why AkIME keyboard is not available out of the box with French language and AZERTY layout... as described in the user manual and in particular, for the French market. :thinking:

Last edited:
Sep 23, 2023 at 12:36 PM Post #398 of 604
for old school dood who owns portable amp, pretty in love with this
- small form factor
- great battery life
- still on flac so roon/tidal/spotify doesn't bother me
- amen to the DAC selection.

Considering to upgrade from the Ipod 5.5, i do get triggered from the slanted design though haha.

Sep 28, 2023 at 9:23 PM Post #399 of 604
I've had my SR35 since May this year. Today I removed it from its case to update the files on my sdcard only to discover the back panel had partially detached. Worse, something (probably the battery) seems to be swelling, pushing the panel out. This seems to be the same issue someone described having with their SR25. Needless to say, this is a problem.

I've contacted my dealer, but I suspect this will end up being a warranty issue. What kind of nightmare am I in for with regards to getting this unit repaired or replaced?

Attachments

• 1695949441.jpg
    1695949441.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Sep 29, 2023 at 2:13 AM Post #400 of 604
I've had my SR35 since May this year. Today I removed it from its case to update the files on my sdcard only to discover the back panel had partially detached. Worse, something (probably the battery) seems to be swelling, pushing the panel out. This seems to be the same issue someone described having with their SR25. Needless to say, this is a problem.

I've contacted my dealer, but I suspect this will end up being a warranty issue. What kind of nightmare am I in for with regards to getting this unit repaired or replaced?
I had the same issue with a SR25 after three years of use. It was out of warranty. It was repaired by Astell and Kern in Germany, I am in Spain. They charged me 40EUR (Battery) + 25EUR (delivery cost) + 12.35EUR (VAT19%), that means 77.35 EUR Total. I had to add another 20 to have it delivered to their workshop in Germany. It took a couple of weeks. It was a good service. I guess in your case it should be covered by warranty.

Sep 29, 2023 at 4:26 AM Post #401 of 604
Follow-up to my questions to AK customer support in Korea...

You may try to download the app’s apk from https://apkpure.com/(most-known 3rd party website). However kindly note, not all .apk downloaded may be supported in our device due to some restrictions on services, policies and updates.
*All apps are developed and serviced by third -party companies and services. Astell&Kern has no control over apps, functions or errors in a certain application. While we recommend certain APK download sites to get streaming apks, the original source of the apps listed is unknown and is not provided by Astell & Kern.

So my SR35 has now a Gboard keyboard up and running with French language and AZERTY layout enabled :sunglasses:

20230920_085914.jpg
Please note that I'm not comfortable at all with the fact that I need to install a third party application that will not be supported by AK. Moreover, I do not understand why AkIME keyboard is not available out of the box with French language and AZERTY layout... as described in the user manual and in particular, for the French market. :thinking:

Hi @JasonNYC

I tried the procedure to install Gboard as described here on my SR35, and everything is fine, I have access to an AZERTY keyboard, now.

However, when trying exactly the same procedure on my SE300 the gboard application don't show up in the openservice tab. Is there something different in the way the SE300 is handling those others applications ? How should I proceed for the SE300 ?

(and in my opinion, international keyboard should be part of the default installation right from the start, anyway)

thank you for your help
Jérôme

Sep 29, 2023 at 7:24 PM Post #402 of 604
Totally hypothetical but how good would this be for desktop use? Tempted to buy the U149 edition but I rarely use anything portable.
I have Fostex THX00 and ODAC2 at the moment, should I use this instead or keep it in the box until I need something portable?

Oct 2, 2023 at 12:43 PM Post #403 of 604
IMG_20231002_095602_499.jpg

Finally got mine, barely used 3month old baby.
+ Size really good
+ UI is pretty smooth, not lightning quick but definitely good enough
+ Pretty good detailed seperation, even more noticeable in faster music like KPOP or ACDC
+Soundstage fairly realistic, suficiently wide but not exeggerated
+ Decent battery levels 2V SE lineout about 12ish hours (Quad DAC, HIgh Gain, No WIFI)
- If using EQ mode, lacks powerr even with High gain (Using 4.4mm balanced mode with Sennheiser IE600 and require 78 - 85 volume for normal listening level)
- Streaming music reveal significant quality loss (Spotify, i do not own tidal, compared to Cayin iDac-6 MK1 on desktop).
- Spotify only works with 5ghz WIFI, will not sign in iwth 2.4ghz WIFI
- Some loss of treble energy which is odd (compared to Cayin iDac-6 Mk1 and Ipod 5.5G)

Used for closed to 14hrs thus far mainly with 90% FLAC an 10% 320kbs mp3 only Quad DAC and High Gain.; for the price i paid USD630, pretty great value. No complaints, replacing my Ipod for on-the-go, in office and on my bed.

A word to caution for those using high impedence gears direct with the SR35, but a beauty with external amps.

Oct 5, 2023 at 9:28 PM Post #404 of 604
I had the same issue with a SR25 after three years of use. It was out of warranty. It was repaired by Astell and Kern in Germany, I am in Spain. They charged me 40EUR (Battery) + 25EUR (delivery cost) + 12.35EUR (VAT19%), that means 77.35 EUR Total. I had to add another 20 to have it delivered to their workshop in Germany. It took a couple of weeks. It was a good service. I guess in your case it should be covered by warranty.
My dealer initially told me to RMA the unit back to them (after five months??), but now they've told me to standby and Astell & Kern will contact me directly about getting it repaired. Good thing I didn't already send it back to the dealer, I guess. But I still haven't heard from Astell & Kern.

Last edited:
Oct 6, 2023 at 8:03 PM Post #405 of 604
Hi @JasonNYC

I tried the procedure to install Gboard as described here on my SR35, and everything is fine, I have access to an AZERTY keyboard, now.

However, when trying exactly the same procedure on my SE300 the gboard application don't show up in the openservice tab. Is there something different in the way the SE300 is handling those others applications ? How should I proceed for the SE300 ?

(and in my opinion, international keyboard should be part of the default installation right from the start, anyway)

thank you for your help
Jérôme
Sorry for the late reply, it was a holiday in Korea and then I was out at CanJam SoCal.

For the SE300, there is a bug in the CM firmware which does not allow Gboard to be installed on the SE300 or SP3000. It can be installed on SE300 and SP300 players running the Chinese region CN firmware.

The issue has been expedited and expecting a fix soon. I don't have an exact date yet, will update once I know.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back