Astell&Kern Launches New A&norma SR35 Player
Sep 2, 2023 at 5:46 AM Post #362 of 605
@Richdgrant
What version of Tidal subscription did you buy?
There are two quality versions of TIDAL:

The cheaper - TIDAL HIFI - this one only supports HiFi
The more expensive TIDAL HiFI PLus - only this one supports Master
I have Tidal HiFi Plus. I use the Max settings on my iPhone and laptop.

Sep 2, 2023 at 2:05 PM Post #364 of 605
Any one who uses a streaming service and saves the files on to an SD card, do you have to wait a long time for “scanning media” to disappear after turning on the device?

It’s as if the unit is doing a full re-scan each time I turn it on.
Yes, it does do a scan on every start up. While not very quick, it's not very long either. For eg. when you add any files then the scan takes quite a long time. Do note this is Kann Max experience.

Sep 6, 2023 at 3:35 AM Post #366 of 605
Does anybody else have issues with offline music (Qobuz in particular) - about 75% into each track there's a second where the sound cuts off. This happens to every song I listen to that's been downloaded to play offline.

I've tried re-formatting the card etc. but it still happens.

Sep 6, 2023 at 11:34 PM Post #367 of 605
I have a request can you white list the wavelet app please.
UAPP if possible

Sep 7, 2023 at 9:27 PM Post #369 of 605
Can the SR35 effectively drive the HD800S? I'm new to the hobby and I'm trying to go directly to an end-game-ish setup for myself without going over $2k total - used HD800S + SR35 seems like a plausible combo.

To be clear, my standard here is, is it good/very good in this role - I recognize that a nice desktop amp is going to be better.

Sep 8, 2023 at 2:34 AM Post #370 of 605
Can the SR35 effectively drive the HD800S? I'm new to the hobby and I'm trying to go directly to an end-game-ish setup for myself without going over $2k total - used HD800S + SR35 seems like a plausible combo.

To be clear, my standard here is, is it good/very good in this role - I recognize that a nice desktop amp is going to be better.
no

Sep 8, 2023 at 3:03 AM Post #371 of 605
Thank you for the feedback. Just to clarify, are you saying this based on direct personal experience, or are you inferring?

The person that I'm buying the HD800S from says that his Lotoo PAW Gold drives the HD800S well. I think the SR35 looks to have comparable output power, but the specs are expressed differently (mW for the PAW vs. Vrms for the SR35) so I'm not totally sure if the calculator I used is providing relevant info. Definitely a noob here.

The PAW was measured at 4Vrms on the balanced output while the SR35 claims 6Vrms, which is why I was optimistic.

Last edited:
Sep 8, 2023 at 3:28 AM Post #372 of 605
Thank you for the feedback. Just to clarify, are you saying this based on direct personal experience, or are you inferring?

The person that I'm buying the HD800S from says that his Lotoo PAW Gold drives the HD800S well. I think the SR35 looks to have comparable output power, but the specs are expressed differently (mW for the PAW vs. Vrms for the SR35) so I'm not totally sure if the calculator I used is providing relevant info. Definitely a noob here.

The PAW was measured at 4Vrms on the balanced output while the SR35 claims 6Vrms, which is why I was optimistic.
HD800S is one of the most refined headphones on the market. Even with desktop equipment, you have to be very selective about what it is paired with. It feels comfortable under $5,000-$10,000 systems. the sp3000 can't even drive an hd660s2.. even that requires a desktop with a tube around 3000 dollars.

Sep 8, 2023 at 3:40 AM Post #373 of 605

No idea about the SR35 & HD800S combi but if you want to stay portable with the A&K brand probably the "Kann" series could fit the bill. Plenty of driving power (and there are a few in the classifieds...).

Sep 8, 2023 at 7:57 AM Post #374 of 605

The 6 vrms from AK are no load, the 4 vrms from paw gold are probably into 32ohms, big big diference, i never understud this specs path that AK is on

Sep 8, 2023 at 8:57 AM Post #375 of 605

I don't know about the AK, but I own the DX320, and that one has plenty of power to run the HD800s.

I used that setup with amp14, but the stock amp also does very well.

you may want to look at that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back