Astell&Kern Launches KANN Ultra DAP and AK HB1 Bluetooth Amp/DAC
Mar 1, 2024 at 7:31 PM Post #421 of 464
Will such a window with VU (like in new SP3000T) indicators while playing files also appear in Kann Ultra?
FIIO has been VU like a standard in DAPs for a long time.

1709339210104.png

Mar 3, 2024 at 2:19 PM Post #423 of 464
Unfortunately, I have to discover that the WiFi reception on my Kann ULTRA has become very poor. I also wonder whether Bluetooth 5.4 will be added with the next firmware update. Shouldn't really be a problem. iFi has proven this with the Diablo. The first headphones with this standard are already available. Especially for DAPs that have only recently been brought onto the market, such as the Kann ULTRA, a subsequently added version upgrade should be a given. Especially in this price range and the HiRes that this player boasts. aptX Lossless would certainly suit him very well.

Last edited:
Mar 8, 2024 at 8:03 PM Post #424 of 464
I noticed that in Kann Ultra "Screen Timeout" does not work on the Apple Music application ver 4.5.0 beta
- do you also have this problem?

Using: Tidal, Spotify or Apple Classical - it works correctly and turns off screen after a set time, e.g. 30s

Mar 9, 2024 at 2:19 AM Post #425 of 464
I noticed that in Kann Ultra "Screen Timeout" does not work on the Apple Music application ver 4.5.0 beta
- do you also have this problem?

Using: Tidal, Spotify or Apple Classical - it works correctly and turns off screen after a set time, e.g. 30s
I don’t recall having this problem with 4.5.0. I’m using version 4.6.0 now and screen timeout with Apple Music works as it should.

Mar 14, 2024 at 10:34 AM Post #426 of 464
Good afternoon, I received my Kann Ultra yesterday and have been doing a few tests with the WiFi since I, like others in this thread, have lots of WiFi issues with this device. I found a way to systematically reproduce the WiFi error so I will post it here to share my findings.

Originally I had the issue described by other users, the WiFi connection randomly dropping while using streaming services and not reconnecting so I tried to factory reset the device and, since the issue was still present I decided to do some tests.

But here is how I could reproduce the error:
- Connect the DAP to WiFi
- Move outside of WiFi range to force a connection drop
- Move back next to the router

This causes the DAP not to be able to reconnect to the same WiFi network until you go into the menu and manually disable and re-enable the WiFi.

However, if you have at least 2 WiFi networks, that you previously connected to, in range, then the DAP will try to connect to the same that dropped when you left the WiFi range, fail to do so and, after a few seconds, it will connect successfully to the other one. After this the DAP will be able to connect again to the network that was previously failing by just going into the menu and selecting that network, this without disabling and re enabling WiFi.

I might have a faulty device but I suspect this is an issue that can be solved by firmware.

@JasonNYC can you have a look into this please?

Mar 14, 2024 at 10:35 AM Post #427 of 464
Good afternoon, I received my Kann Ultra yesterday and have been doing a few tests with the WiFi since I, like others in this thread, have lots of WiFi issues with this device. I found a way to systematically reproduce the WiFi error so I will post it here to share my findings.

Originally I had the issue described by other users, the WiFi connection randomly dropping while using streaming services and not reconnecting so I tried to factory reset the device and, since the issue was still present I decided to do some tests.

But here is how I could reproduce the error:
- Connect the DAP to WiFi
- Move outside of WiFi range to force a connection drop
- Move back next to the router

This causes the DAP not to be able to reconnect to the same WiFi network until you go into the menu and manually disable and re-enable the WiFi.

However, if you have at least 2 WiFi networks, that you previously connected to, in range, then the DAP will try to connect to the same that dropped when you left the WiFi range, fail to do so and, after a few seconds, it will connect successfully to the other one. After this the DAP will be able to connect again to the network that was previously failing by just going into the menu and selecting that network, this without disabling and re enabling WiFi.

I might have a faulty device but I suspect this is an issue that can be solved by firmware.

@JasonNYC can you have a look into this please?
Thank you for this information. I will pass it onto the team.

Astell&Kern Stay updated on Astell&Kern at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/astellnkern/ https://twitter.com/astell_kern https://www.instagram.com/astellnkern.official/ https://astellnkern.com astellnkern@astellnkern.com
Mar 14, 2024 at 10:43 AM Post #428 of 464
Jason noted that the development team was investigating on 01/22. Since then there has been no further news. My dealer got tired of my nagging and traded me up(?) to a SE300 Titan. Still would prefer the Ultra for its superior processor and greater power. Apparently a complicated issue.

Mar 17, 2024 at 9:38 AM Post #430 of 464
@JasonNYC
Is it possible to add a "Low Gain" Mode to the AK Control App for sensitive Phones?
Especially on the Balanced Output there is too much Power, so Volume Control isn't that precise like on your DAPs

Last edited:
Mar 21, 2024 at 5:38 AM Post #432 of 464
i couldnt find any reviews of the HB1 regarding sound, specially soundstage depth and layering. if someone has seen some descriptions, i would much appreciate providing a link.

Mar 27, 2024 at 2:56 AM Post #433 of 464
i couldnt find any reviews of the HB1 regarding sound, specially soundstage depth and layering. if someone has seen some descriptions, i would much appreciate providing a link.
Tried the HB1 today and I would describe the sound as airy and wide, maybe slightly more so than other similar devices. I guess that is a result of the treble focussed and clean tuning. While it sounds pretty good, I must say I was literally shocked about its build quality and haptics. The plastic it is made of and the volume knob honestly feel very cheap and the surface seems prone to scratches. It`s actually a lot worse in real life than on pictures and I have no idea why A&K decided to go this route, especially considering the price and they are usually a company that care a lot about haptics. Well, I guess one excuse might be a better BT reception - but other companies have proven one can have the same with other materials. In addition, I could not get the app working on my iPhone (15 Pro). It froze every time I tried to connect the device, even after rebooting the phone and HB1.

After comparing them side by side, I actually went with the Muse Hifi M4 to replace my Shanling UP5 that unfortunately has developed a loose contact recently. To be honest, all three devices sound quite similar in my opinion, just very slight nuances (UP5 a tiny bit fuller and rounder, HB1 a bit wider and more neutral, Muse M4 somewhere in between). UP5 and Muse definitely have a much nicer build quality and design. And Muse costs less than half of the price of the HB1.

Last edited:
Mar 27, 2024 at 7:09 AM Post #434 of 464
Tried the HB1 today and I would describe the sound as airy and wide, maybe slightly more so than other similar devices. I guess that is a result of the treble focussed and clean tuning. While it sounds pretty good, I must say I was literally shocked about its build quality and haptics. The plastic it is made of and the volume knob honestly feel very cheap and the surface seems prone to scratches. It`s actually worse in real life than on pictures and I have no idea why A&K decided to go this route, especially considering the price and they are usually a company that care a lot about haptics. Well, I guess one excuse might be a better BT reception - but other companies have proven one can have the same with other materials. In addition, I could not get the app working on my iPhone (15 Pro). It froze every time I tried to connect the device, even after rebooting the phone and HB1.

After comparing them side by side, I actually went with the Muse Hifi M4 to replace my Shanling UP5 that unfortunately has developed a loose contact recently. To be honest, all three devices sound quite similar in my opinion, just very slight nuances (UP5 a tiny bit fuller and rounder, HB1 a bit wider and more neutral, Muse M4 somewhere in between). UP5 and Muse definitely have a much nicer build quality and design. And Muse costs less than half of the price of the HB1.
awesome! much appreciate your feedback! Build quality/haptics are critizised by many others too. Wouldnt bother me too much, if the sound is what i am looking for. Anyways i think i am going to pass this one as i am also heaving an eye on the M4 although i am not the biggest fan of the single es9083. Sadly i would have to order it from china, which is too much of a hassle regarding customs in munich germany. Hopefully linsoul or shenzenaudio will offer it on amazon.de in the future.
On a side note, if the Questyle CMA18 would bypass the battery when connected via usb, i would immediatly have bought that one. But a dying battery in a 700 EUR device is not acceptable to me, thats why i dont buy any phones for more than 300 EURs anymore. After 1,5 years capacity shrinks and after 2,5 yrs its mostly done. not interested in throw away hifi at that price. Once the M4 dies, it would already have delivered enough for the asking price.

Last edited:
Mar 27, 2024 at 9:07 AM Post #435 of 464
awesome! much appreciate your feedback! Build quality/haptics are critizised by many others too. Wouldnt bother me too much, if the sound is what i am looking for. Anyways i think i am going to pass this one as i am also heaving an eye on the M4 although i am not the biggest fan of the single es9083. Sadly i would have to order it from china, which is too much of a hassle regarding customs in munich germany. Hopefully linsoul or shenzenaudio will offer it on amazon.de in the future.
On a side note, if the Questyle CMA18 would bypass the battery when connected via usb, i would immediatly have bought that one. But a dying battery in a 700 EUR device is not acceptable to me, thats why i dont buy any phones for more than 300 EURs anymore. After 1,5 years capacity shrinks and after 2,5 yrs its mostly done. not interested in throw away hifi at that price. Once the M4 dies, it would already have delivered enough for the asking price.
Maybe you can get a UP5 in Germany? Except of the crappy app, it`s a really nice device, too! I used it with joy for several years! Or what about BTR7?

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back