Astell&Kern Launches KANN Ultra DAP and AK HB1 Bluetooth Amp/DAC
Nov 16, 2023 at 2:07 AM Post #211 of 464
The safely remove SD card message in the notification bar has been there in every AK player since the AK240 released in 2014. This is the first complaint I've seen about it in 9 years since it first appeared.

Will pass on the other two.
JasonNYC - This is not a complaint but a request to improve UI Crimson.
The new Crimson UI is very refined and intuitive compared to the previous 9-year-old versions, which is a huge improvement!
Everything is sorted out.
You can even customize the notification bar icons/features that I use most often.
But who replaces SD cards and ejects them so often that they need to have this function at hand with every swipe from the top?
And it's easy to press it by accident - when, after increasing the volume with the "power pyramid", we touch the screen and want to quickly return to the main screen.

At least let the system ask if I really want to unplug SD card. Yes/No.
It's especially troublesome when the Ultra is in cover:
I have to take off the cover
Eject the SD card
Insert the card
Insert the DAP into the cover
and we will have another scan of the entire SD card with all songs.
(unless it's possible not to do it without removing the card?)

JasonNYC You are an expert, tell me what gesture can be used to close other applications already running in the background,
what gesture should I use on the touch screen?

Last edited:
Nov 16, 2023 at 8:13 AM Post #212 of 464
I just bought the HB1 and it does sound great. Quiet a bummer that AK dont include any casing or protection with any clamp or lanyard with it. Because this device totally made out of plastic and very light. I am quiet worried about the volume wheel it doesnt feel sturdy and feel plasticky cheap with some play.

Last edited:
Nov 16, 2023 at 2:58 PM Post #213 of 464
I just bought the HB1 and it does sound great. Quiet a bummer that AK dont include any casing or protection with any clamp or lanyard with it. Because this device totally made out of plastic and very light. I am quiet worried about the volume wheel it doesnt feel sturdy and feel plasticky cheap with some play.
Do you mind answering a question? How does the volume control work? Is it separate from the source device or does it control the source system volume as well?

Last edited:
Nov 16, 2023 at 9:48 PM Post #214 of 464
Do you mind answering a question? How does the volume control work? Is it separate from the source device or does it control the source system volume as well?
On my iPhone it's separate; connecting the HB1 actually deactivates the in-built volume slider on the phone and the only control is the volume knob.

Nov 16, 2023 at 10:35 PM Post #215 of 464
On my iPhone it's separate; connecting the HB1 actually deactivates the in-built volume slider on the phone and the only control is the volume knob.
With my fold 5 it is separate from the source. I just notice it has a battery bypass feature when using it as a dongle. Nice!

Nov 17, 2023 at 3:41 AM Post #216 of 464
Interesting. So they went the other route iFi took with the Go Blu. Can't say I'm thrilled about it, especially when thinking about using the HB1 with my computer and needing to control the volume on the device itself... I guess it's being done for SQ concerns.

Nov 17, 2023 at 4:25 PM Post #217 of 464
Astell&Kern Kann Ultra
(Release for sale from 11.2023)

Pros:
Smooth operation thanks to an 8-core processor, fast app opening, and file scanning on the memory card.
Latest version of Android 12 in the A&K DAP family.
Quick startup
New, aesthetic, and user-friendly UX/UI Crimson interface.
Solid metal construction.
Large, bright 5.5-inch touchscreen with HD resolution of 1080x1920.- Reinforced glass
Bluetooth 5.3 providing excellent range and two-way BT reception and transmission.
Modern ESS ES9039MPRO x2 chips.
Full MQA 16x decoding
KANN ULTRA supports the Roon Arc
4 levels of amplification from the battery without external power.
Output Level in balanced mode reaching up to 16 Vrms.
Triple Output, Triple Sound - 3 different outputs for greater customization options.
Large battery capacity.
IEM-friendly - practically inaudible white noise.

Cons:
Slippery metal casing, requiring the purchase of a separate cover.
No cover included in the package.
Low-quality protective films in the package.
Difficulties in sticking the film to the back of the device.
Sound issues when playing music from Tidal or FLAC 24-bit 192 kHz files, particularly when the DAR feature is off.
It's possible that the sound problem might be related to the DAR function. Turning this function on and off momentarily resolves the issue, and we are awaiting new firmware.
Price
☹ - 1600$ - 11.2023

In 2022, when the DAP Astell & Kern Kann Max entered the market, it immediately became a symbol of power in its class, receiving 15Vrms exclusively from the internal battery. Max is a DAP model with excellent sound, dubbed by renowned reviewer and YouTuber Blooma as a "big dumb brick of a player." Even today, Bloom and others use and appreciate it, especially during headphone presentations at CanJam's, considering it an excellent tool for testing and showcasing headphones.

Now it's time for the fifth model in the series - Kann Ultra.
To me, a DAP is like a Swiss Army knife that should offer everything needed to enjoy music wherever we are. It should work with any type of headphones, from pocket-sized (like TWS) to those fitting in a bag (like IEM), all the way to those we carry in luggage (over-ear). Additionally, a DAP should be an excellent companion for both laptops and stationary audio equipment.

Astell & Kern has always been known for producing high-quality devices with excellent design. I'm a fan, but I admit that despite the high price, there was always something missing. Sometimes it was just one Wi-Fi range, other times a very slow processor or lack of BT... However, we always admired these products for their excellent sound quality. Over the years, the company has clearly developed its portfolio, releasing successful models into the market.

Observing this year's novelties from Astell & Kern, shortly after the release, I purchased the balanced portable class-A amplifier, Astell & Kern PA10. My colleague Mateusz from Mp3Store In Poland convinced me to buy it, assuring me it would be an ideal additional amplifier if I was looking for a new sound for my FIIO M11 Plus Ltd DAP. And indeed, that's what happened, but I'll write about the PA10 amplifier later.

I was looking for a DAP that would have more capabilities and dedicated, amplifier-independent PreOut and Line Out outputs.
When the official information about the upcoming Kann Ultra premiere appeared a month ago, its specification turned out to be perfect.
However, a question arose - why was a BT 4.2 module used there (in 2023)? A&K officially explained the matter three weeks before the premiere: "There was an issue during the initial certification process where it was incorrectly tested and certified for Bluetooth 4.2, even though the chipset used supports version up to 5.3. The player was retested and submitted to the Bluetooth SIG group for certification as part of the qualification process. KANN Ultra officially received the v5.3 certificate overnight."
Mateusz from Mp3Store in Poland was right that it would be clarified and that it must be a mistake.
It was worth listening to a professional - experienced in the industry and buying the new Kann Ultra.

The new Kann Ultra comes packaged in cardboard. There's no wooden box inside; it's an eco-friendly approach. It contains only a USB-C - USB-C cable and 4 protective films (2 pieces for the front and 2 pieces for the back). Unfortunately, they are of low quality. The sticking of the film to the back, which is not smooth like in SP or SE, is particularly problematic, making the film adhere poorly to the back of the DAP.

The Ultra's build quality is top-notch: the fitting, the quality of the 3.5 and 4.4 mm jacks are very well done in the A&K style. The SD card slot supports up to 1TB cards; personally, I use a Samsung 512GB. The knob with distinctive notches is placed at the bottom of the casing, not on the side like in Kann Max. This is a convenient solution, especially when holding the DAP with one hand. The knob is in a slight recess of the casing - it won't be bothersome even after putting on the cover.
The knob may not be as elegant as the silver crowns placed on the right side in the A&K SP and SE series, but it makes it safer in the event of an incident.
When turning the knob, it produces a faint clicking sound. It's strange, but in very quiet tracks, you can also hear very faint clicks in the headphones.
I don't know the exact construction of the potentiometer used and why it happens, but it's rather insignificant.

On the left side of the DAP there are 3 solid metal buttons with a clearly felt click (Forward, Pause/Play, Back).

There's no channel imbalance during volume adjustment even at very low volumes.
The knob is surrounded by a ring that is illuminated in four colors depending on the bit depth of the played track or the volume level chosen. The illumination can also be completely turned off from the menu. While adjusting the volume, even using the BT remote (works very well even with a BT 3.0 remote), the color momentarily changes to yellow, then returns to the original bit depth setting. I personally use the convenient little FIIO RM1 BT 3.0 remote, which works very well.

When the screen is active, you can smoothly increase the volume by pressing "+". When the screen is off, you can increase the volume with the remote using single clicks. There's also the option to adjust the volume from the touchscreen using the so-called 'power pyramid.'

The 5.5-inch screen with a resolution of 1080x1920 is bright, readable, and responsive to touch. Album covers are clear, and the double-tap function to wake up the screen works perfectly. The on-screen keyboard is user-friendly, and the keys on the 5.5-inch screen are finally of the right size for an average hand.

The new UX/UI Crimson interface is very refined and intuitive compared to previous versions, which is a huge improvement!
Everything is organized, and you can even customize the icons/functions of the notification bar to your needs.
However, what surprises and frustrates me is that every time I swipe down to bring up the notification bar, the
'Safely Remove SD Card' option appears.
Is this option really necessary in this place for so long and still in new UI Crimson??

Who swaps out SD cards so frequently that they need this function every time they swipe down?
Unfortunately, I've accidentally tapped it several times and the DAP stops recognizing the SD Card.
It's particularly troublesome when the device is in a case, where you have to sequentially:
remove the cover, temporarily eject the SD card, insert the card, put the device back into the case, and wait for the entire SD card to be scanned with all the tracks... uff.
Perhaps a system confirmation of 'Ejecting card Yes/No' would suffice?

Fortunately, the 8-core processor performs these and other tasks quickly. Although it's not as fast as in the SP3000, it's much faster than in the SE300 or MAX. The processor operates smoothly and efficiently. Forum colleague Praedo showed in a video on YT how quickly it works compared to Kann MAX and SP3000 - that also influenced my decision. The used processor and its advantage over its predecessors are noticeable at every step. The ROM memory is 128GB, and the RAM is 4GB - that's how A&K designed it, and it works exceptionally well in this model.

Astell & Kern Kann Ultra is equipped with a DAC 2 x ESS9039mPro, the latest product from ESS dedicated to mobile solutions like DAP, capable of decoding MQA 16x. It's the successor to the equally top-notch ESS9038Pro. The device supports native DSD512 and handles bit-to-bit playback up to 32 bits/768 kHz.

The Ultra has built-in 7 DAC filters, which have a minimal, discreet impact on the sound. It's worth mentioning that it has an Equalizer - although I'm personally not a fan. It's quite extensive. Additionally, this DAP implements the Crossfeed function, which reduces listening fatigue on headphones by allowing the left and right channels to interpenetrate. You can especially try this out when listening to older tracks where the soundstage is specifically constructed.

The DAR function (Digital Audio Remaster, similar to ALL in DSD in FIIO) makes the DAP warm but not hot, with faster battery consumption (~minus 2 hours from the declared ~10-11 hours). This involves increasing the sampling frequency of the played source, practically raising the sampling of lower-quality tracks to a higher level. It's just two clicks to activate it, and it's worth checking out.

This translation covers the content, keeping the context and meaning intact. If there's anything else you need or specific parts you'd like to focus on, let me know!
The most desirable feature in the Kann A&K series is its high power output in the balanced PO, now reaching up to 16Vrms compared to the previous Kann Max model with 15Vrms. This power is achieved solely through the built-in 8400mAh battery, providing approximately 9-10 hours of music playback in balanced mode, excluding the DAR function – this is an impressive result! However, the FIIO M17 is more powerful. A larger battery also means more weight – here, it's 390g.

You can use the Kann Ultra while charging, but it doesn't affect the PO power. Charging is PD 3.0 compliant and takes about 3.5 hours with a compatible PD charger. After charging, the LED on the knob doesn't turn off, which doesn't give us information about the completion of charging.
I hope this useful feature will be added in the next software update.

The Ultra supports two WiFi ranges, 2.4/5GHz, and maintains excellent range even over long distances, even when other WiFi devices are nearby. AK File Drop is easy to use and works very well, without any audible disruptions caused by WiFi during playback.

BT 5.3 supports codecs A2DP, AVRCP, Qualcomm® aptX™-HD, LDAC, LHDC, and its range is above average! Even connections through 2 thick apartment walls with devices like TWS Sennheiser Momentum 2 BT 5.1 - Aptx or TWS Sony wf-1000xm5 using LDAC - were never interrupted or distorted, they're very stable. Importantly, a connected BT 3.0 remote was handled simultaneously without affecting the TWS sound.

To connect the Astell & Kern Kann Ultra to a laptop via USB, you need to install the driver from the device's internal memory or download it from the official A&K website: KANN ULTRA\Internal_Storage\KANN ULTRA_Contents\Driver. The USB-DAC connection to a laptop (tested on a Lenovo Yoga with Intel i5-12gen processor) works very smoothly, with no delays between audio and video. Well-known features like AK Drop and AK Sink work quickly and conveniently.

Bluetooth connectivity works excellently on both Android phones (tested on Samsung S22) and iOS (tested on iPhone 13).

Astell & Kern boasts the Triple Output/Triple Sound
feature in its DAP Kann Ultra, which means three outputs: headphone PO, isolated LineOut, and PreOut outputs, stemming from the device's construction, not just technical data. This eliminates noise and unnecessary additives. Kann Ultra has two types of headphone outputs: 3.5mm and 4.4mm, as well as two dedicated outputs for external devices – twin pairs of 3.5mm and 4.4mm. The latter are independent LineOut and PreOut circuits. This offers many possibilities for connecting external devices, such as amplifiers. Switching between LineOut and PreOut outputs and adjusting voltage on the PreOut is easy through the menu; LineOut voltage is fixed at 4V. After connecting an external device, a warning message appears about higher voltage output and setting the maximum volume in LineOut mode. After unplugging the 4.4mm cable, LineOut and PreOut outputs are automatically disabled.

The Astell & Kern Kann Ultra is free from the issue of clicking/popping at the beginning of each track.

The device offers 4 levels of gain settings. During testing, I used two pairs of my own headphones using the balanced 4.4mm connector.
Regrettably, I can't use open-back headphones for obvious reasons of isolation, but I'm aware that I might be missing certain sound elements, and I'm not alone in this experience.

Opinions often imply that pricier headphones offer superior sound, but that's not a universal rule. My experiences with the Focal Elegia and Astell & Kern TK9iE show that price doesn't always translate to sound quality. These headphones work great with the new DAP Kann Ultra, indicating that A&K audio devices can be well-matched.
I had doubts about DACs based on ESS chips, but now I notice that the sound is incredibly detailed. It's challenging to compare it in terms of "musicality" with AKM DACs. Digital-to-analog conversion is only part of the process; a good amplifier and headphones are also necessary.
Now I'm contemplating which component in my setup affects the tonality, warmth, or alteration of sound and its precision. It's puzzling. When I listened to the Elegia on the FIIO M11 Plus Ltd, it seemed I wasn't fully utilizing their potential. FIIO is a lower-class device than the Kann Ultra, but it shows how crucial striving for better audio experiences is. Sometimes, the audio source can be crucial. What I'm hearing now on the TK9iE and Elegia is an entirely new level for me.

In summary,
expensive headphones don't always sound better. The key to great sound can be the right sound source, which shows that progress in the audio world does not always come at a huge cost. Sometimes we are not ready to fully use the equipment we already have and what potential is hidden
because the signal source may be "better"
If you already have headphones that you like and they sound great, are comfortable and well made - connect them to Kann Ultra.
Of course, I checked ULTRA on other headphones and I didn't stop at only the ones I have, my goal is headphones
closed and I know that there are a lot of them on the market now, especially planars
I won't describe my impressions because I listened to them too briefly, but don't worry, for 150 Ohm or 300 Ohm headphones, the power of this DAP is more than sufficient, ranging from 90-120% of the power.
I won't describe it on purpose because I know that every audiophile does with headphones that are very difficult to drive,
he has his own opinions on whether DAP is a good signal source.
Judge/test it for yourself in audio-shop!

Regarding listening experiences - These headphones feel like miniature concert halls for the ears! The soundstage is broad and precise, giving the sensation of being surrounded by music.

Holography is nothing but a magical trick - sounds are placed so realistically, as if the instruments were playing right in front of you.
The bass is strong but not overwhelming. It adds a solid punch without drowning out other sounds, making the music sound fuller.
And the vocals... they're just beautiful! You hear every nuance of emotion in the artist's voice, as if you're close by when someone sings from the heart.
These headphones are truly a set that makes music sound magical, revealing every detail and emotion, making them a great choice for anyone who wants to feel the magic of their favorite music.

Ultimately, the king of kings is...

I've got it! Earlier, I mentioned my new acquisition - a portable, balanced Class A amplifier, the Astell&Kern PA10.

So, I connected the Kann Ultra to the PA10 using an IFI 4.4-4.4 interconnect through LineOut, and here are the results!
The soundstage expands even more, and the artists sound as if they're right beside you, and the sound holography becomes even more realistic.

It's like a sandwich - layers of sound open up further nuances and details that were missed before. Sounds now gain three-dimensionality, and the music becomes even more engaging, transporting the listener into the heart of the musical events.

Sound presentation becomes more precise and refined, and each sound finds its distinctly defined place in space. Sound quality raises the bar, offering a fuller and more dynamic experience that brings each track to life.

The combo of Kann Ultra + PA10 is a real flavor "sandwich", extracting the highest sound qualities and potential that music has to offer.
It's truly an amazing experience.
But is buying the PA10 necessary to enjoy the Kann Ultra?
Of course not!
The new DAP Astell&Kern Kann Ultra is a fantastic device on its own, designed, refined, and modern - the kind of excellent DAP we've been waiting for!

Give it a chance with your favorite headphones - perhaps you'll discover those same undiscovered layers of sound.

Highly recommended!
123Peter

PS. When I tested the KANN MAX, Astell&Kern hadn't released its successor, KANN Ultra yet.
It's like ordering a dish at a restaurant, and the waiter brings an even better version of the same dish when you've just left the table.
Anyway, 1:1 tests on your own headphones will surely provide the answer as to which of these two portable DAPs is the true audio king.

Last edited:
Nov 18, 2023 at 8:29 AM Post #221 of 464
Quite intrigued to see how the LO/Pre out works with the Cayin C9. There doesn't seem to be many reviews out in the wild as of yet. Also, in terms of resolution and voicing, how it stands up to something like the Hugo 2.

Nov 18, 2023 at 9:30 AM Post #224 of 464
Not on my iPhone 15 Pro Max running iOS 17.1.1 — volume on the device and phone work separately. And this thing sounds glorious, I'm very impressed, just gotten it.

Nov 18, 2023 at 12:16 PM Post #225 of 464
Trying to find anything about the sound quality but only found a discussion about the BT version.
Checked again if im in a right thread, not some Wireless headphones and to my surprise, no, this is a thread about a dap whose main task is to power demanding headphones.
💯, not any reviews about it so far, silence speaks more then noise.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back