Astell&Kern Launches KANN Ultra DAP and AK HB1 Bluetooth Amp/DAC
Nov 15, 2023 at 4:07 AM Post #196 of 464
We are crossing out this BT matter with a thick line, let's move forward.

After the first my tests, I can say that BT 5.3 in this device works very well, above average, in both directions!
The range of 18-20 m and through thick walls is not a problem.
Connection with TWS Sennheiser Momentum 2 on BT 5.1 at Aptx - great, it doesn't break anything. Connection with a laptop also.
I connected the small, clever and convenient FIIO RM1 BT 3.0 remote control simultaneously with the headphones - nothing interrupts it, it works very well.

I'm trying to prepare such a description - a mini review for those who are thinking about buying such a DAP with its capabilities,
but I haven't tested all the functions yet and I need to get used to the new UI.

If we mean the technical possibilities, Ultra is a very well-thought-out design.
Speed of operation on 8 cores, cool and proven Crimson UI, the latest in A&K products Android 12, fast boot time, memory card scanning, application installation, brightness of the 5.5" HD display, its responsiveness to touch, battery size, connection options and dedicated, isolated output circuits for external devices, convenient volume knob.
These are the advantages of this well-thought-out design.

Astell & Kern finally listened to customers' requests and we have a really refined, modern product below the price of SP3000 that is still at the TOP.
We cannot compare Kann series devices to other groups and actual products of A&K: Ultima SP3000, Futura SE300, SR35 standard - different load, different design, different functions, different price

But what makes Kann Ultra stand out is that it probably has everything a fan of listening to music at home, while traveling and in the office can think about - bravo Astell & Kern.:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

PS. Today I charged the Ultra at night - while charging, the red diode on the knob is on.
It's a pity that it doesn't turn off when charging is finished. Just another note.

Last edited:
Nov 15, 2023 at 5:21 AM Post #197 of 464
Astell & Kern finally listened to customers' requests and we have a really refined, modern product below the price of SP3000 that is still at the TOP.
We cannot compare Kann series devices to other groups and actual products of A&K: Ultima SP3000, Futura SE300, SR35 standard - different load, different design, different functions, different price
I don’t see why these cannot be compared? Especially from a sound standpoint. Given that it has a TOTL chipset but different use case I think comparisons to SP3000 and SE300 could be beneficial.

Nov 15, 2023 at 5:45 AM Post #199 of 464
Comparison of Ultra versus previous KANN model and current SP3000 model are entirely valid because it is someone else's money? An SQ versus SQ question is natural to ask given the Ultra is substantially cheaper than the SP3K

On the whole Bluetooth miscommunication, one can only laugh the BT body apparently require secrecy for certification. Really lol? This is performing a service for consumer electronics no need to elevate it

Nov 15, 2023 at 6:17 AM Post #200 of 464
Comparison of Ultra versus previous KANN model and current SP3000 model are entirely valid because it is someone else's money? An SQ versus SQ question is natural to ask given the Ultra is substantially cheaper than the SP3K

On the whole Bluetooth miscommunication, one can only laugh the BT body apparently require secrecy for certification. Really lol? This is performing a service for consumer electronics no need to elevate it
Costs more than M17, is the sq better? That would be interesting comparison on fully fledged HP.

Nov 15, 2023 at 11:15 AM Post #201 of 464
got the ak hb1 after a short demo in shop with odyssey. the combo sounds amazingly good but the BT connection range is quite disappointing. dropouts started to come in when i move to another room (rc walls in between) which is quite a bit weaker than either ifi go blu or btr7. BT pairing worked very smooth and the app connected without issue. i listened for just a short while but the battery seems dropping quite quickly (claimed battery life = 6hrs on AAC connection). I suspect the lift could be quite a bit worse since I'm using LDAC. i will keep on testing on the next few days.

Attachments

• 20231115_214255.jpg
    20231115_214255.jpg
    984.1 KB · Views: 0
  • 20231115_202253.jpg
    20231115_202253.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 0
Nov 15, 2023 at 12:07 PM Post #202 of 464
Below is a comparison of price models and the most important parameters from the specifications of the DAPs you are writing about.
It will be a difficult task which of them is the most profitable and which of them plays the best?
Let those who listened to them on specific headphones in one day have their say - maybe this is a good idea?
Your opinions?

1700067983276.png

Nov 15, 2023 at 2:12 PM Post #203 of 464
got the ak hb1 after a short demo in shop with odyssey. the combo sounds amazingly good but the BT connection range is quite disappointing. dropouts started to come in when i move to another room (rc walls in between) which is quite a bit weaker than either ifi go blu or btr7. BT pairing worked very smooth and the app connected without issue. i listened for just a short while but the battery seems dropping quite quickly (claimed battery life = 6hrs on AAC connection). I suspect the lift could be quite a bit worse since I'm using LDAC. i will keep on testing on the next few days.
would love to hear your comparison between the Go Blu and the HB1 :)

Nov 15, 2023 at 6:44 PM Post #204 of 464
Trying to find anything about the sound quality but only found a discussion about the BT version.
Checked again if im in a right thread, not some Wireless headphones and to my surprise, no, this is a thread about a dap whose main task is to power demanding headphones.

Nov 15, 2023 at 6:55 PM Post #205 of 464
Shortcomings and errors in the Kann Ultra software that I have found so far:
JasonNYC , can you pass this on to the A&K engineers - please

1. When we swipe from the top and call up the top menu,
the "Safely Remove SD Card" message appears below
- It is very easy to accidentally press it when, for example, we turn up the volume on the touch screen.
I think I've pressed it 5 times already.
Very annoying. I don't think anyone needs this feature at this particular location.
Then you have to remove the SD card and insert it again otherwise DAP it doesn't see the SD card.
This function will be used very rarely and should be explored further hidden in the menu.

1700093108838.png

2. It is difficult to repeat the error I wrote about earlier and it applies not only to songs from Tidal but also to files with high sampling.
When playing Tidal (tidal version 2.92.0) (WHEN DAR is disabled) When songs are in 24-bit 192 kHz FLAC format, e.g. Muddy Waters My house is in delta, or trial songs that were already in the DAP , distortion and rattling sound can be heard.
Maybe it's DAR's fault?
Turning DAR on and off for a while during such a song solves the problem mid-way through.
Today I played without DAR and I didn't have a case like yesterday.
or
Isn't the problem that Spotify and A&K Player run in the background with different songs sampling?
How to properly close applications so that they do not run in the background?

3. The red LED should turn off after charging is completed.

Attachments

• 1700093047565.png
    1700093047565.png
    420.4 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Nov 15, 2023 at 7:54 PM Post #207 of 464
1. When we swipe from the top and call up the top menu,
the "Safely Remove SD Card" message appears below
- It is very easy to accidentally press it when, for example, we turn up the volume on the touch screen.
I think I've pressed it 5 times already.
Very annoying. I don't think anyone needs this feature at this particular location.
Then you have to remove the SD card and insert it again otherwise DAP it doesn't see the SD card.
This function will be used very rarely and should be explored further hidden in the menu.
The safely remove SD card message in the notification bar has been there in every AK player since the AK240 released in 2014. This is the first complaint I've seen about it in 9 years since it first appeared.

Will pass on the other two.

Astell&Kern Stay updated on Astell&Kern at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/astellnkern/ https://twitter.com/astell_kern https://www.instagram.com/astellnkern.official/ https://astellnkern.com astellnkern@astellnkern.com
Nov 15, 2023 at 11:42 PM Post #208 of 464
Hi there @JasonNYC , I just picked up an HB1. Connection over USB (with phone) and Bluetooth is working fine.

But... I can't get the AK Control app to connect. It goes to the screen below, even though the device is connected already via Bluetooth (and can indeed play audio via Bluetooth). I've tried restarting both the HB1 and phone, as well as holding the 'media' button for 10 seconds to reset pairing information. Any ideas for troubleshooting? I'm using an iPhone 12 mini, AK Control version 1.8.
Image.jpeg

Another question is that the manual states USB playback with a Windows computer requires a driver, but there doesn't seem to be one on the Astell&Kern website specifically marked as being for HB1?

Nov 15, 2023 at 11:48 PM Post #209 of 464
Hi there @JasonNYC , I just picked up an HB1. Connection over USB (with phone) and Bluetooth is working fine.

But... I can't get the AK Control app to connect. It goes to the screen below, even though the device is connected already via Bluetooth (and can indeed play audio via Bluetooth). I've tried restarting both the HB1 and phone, as well as holding the 'media' button for 10 seconds to reset pairing information. Any ideas for troubleshooting? I'm using an iPhone 12 mini, AK Control version 1.8.
Image.jpeg

Another question is that the manual states USB playback with a Windows computer requires a driver, but there doesn't seem to be one on the Astell&Kern website specifically marked as being for HB1?
I had the same issue, try rebooting your iPhone, has been able to connect to app fine after a restart.

Nov 16, 2023 at 1:38 AM Post #210 of 464
I had the same issue, try rebooting your iPhone, has been able to connect to app fine after a restart.
You know what, I had already tried that without success but gave it another go regardless, and now for some reason it works ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Users who are viewing this thread

Back