Astell&Kern Launches KANN Ultra DAP and AK HB1 Bluetooth Amp/DAC
Oct 22, 2023 at 9:55 AM Post #106 of 464
TBH I didn't... Never crossed my mind. For me if APTX-HD and LDAC are present and perform according industry specifications it's sufficient. In earlier AK models BT battery consumption nor range have ever been an issue for me. This always performed at a satisfactory level (for me at least)

Wifi range on the other hand is an absolute requirement and earlier AK models have been known to perform poorly in that area...
Earlier AK units had for me huge BT issues. Wifi also. No issues with the Kann Max, however.

Oct 22, 2023 at 9:59 AM Post #107 of 464
I remember the development and advancement of technology in subsequent versions of Bluetooth.
Dark times when I had to take my DAP or phone with me while walking a few meters - because the BT v4.2 range was too small for TWS headphones, and the electricity from the paired devices also ran out much faster.
I welcomed the new BT 5.0 with a smile .
Battery life for the source and receiver was significantly longer, I had to charge them less often, and the range was much longer and there was no channel fading or dropouts.

Who in 2023 is wondering whether if I want to switch to wireless headphones for some time and listen to music while cooking or doing other activities at home
(unless he is an avid audiophile and cooks lasagna with Focal Utopia on his head + long cable + DAP in his pocket :astonished:),
where is the DAP or smartphone physically located ?,
if it has controls in the headphones themselves - new BT 5.0 it's simply convenient and better.

I am also waiting for information from Astell&Kern headquarters to JasonNYC
1. Isn't BT v4.2 in Ultra an error?
- and if it is not an error, why exactly?
Technically, what is the justification for this?
(I am in the Astell&Kern family log time with 3 DAPs and 2 headphones)
2.Astell&Kern Kann Ultra - what Android version is it based on?
You don't want to know how many AK devices I had.

I remember AK Junior, my first, so slow I could brew a cup of coffee waiting for it to respond to a command. AK 70, and Mk2, SR15, SE100, etc...

I''ve learned to appreciate the walled garden, but it should allow a boot to regular Android, like in the DX320.

Last edited:
Oct 22, 2023 at 10:25 AM Post #108 of 464
Also, AK HB1 uses outdated Bluetooth SoC based on CSR8675 chip.
And by moving to the specifications page of this chip, Qualcomm does not advise it to be used in new systems, and offers it a modern replacement by the QCC5144

https://www.qualcomm.com/products/internet-of-things/consumer/audio/csr8675

So it is somewhat strange why not use a more economical and faster chip in this device. It would be interesting to hear an explanation from the company.

Last edited:
Oct 22, 2023 at 2:15 PM Post #110 of 464
Also, AK HB1 uses outdated Bluetooth SoC based on CSR8675 chip.
And by moving to the specifications page of this chip, Qualcomm does not advise it to be used in new systems, and offers it a modern replacement by the QCC5144

https://www.qualcomm.com/products/internet-of-things/consumer/audio/csr8675

So it is somewhat strange why not use a more economical and faster chip in this device. It would be interesting to hear an explanation from the company.
You’re right.
IMG_0030.jpeg

Shame on you A&K !
I thought one day I might try an A&K product for all the hype the brand has (Odyssey doesn’t count as it is mostly made by EE) but nope.

Oct 23, 2023 at 4:06 AM Post #111 of 464
Answer to our questions takes a long time
But
On the official website of Astell & Kern Kann Ultra "Premium Bluetooth for HiFi Sound" ad has been removed

However, on the Kann Max website - Astell&Kern explains in between BT 4.2 and BT 5.0 in their products :rolling_eyes:
But Kann Max was released 1.5 years ago with BT v5.0 ,new Kann Ultra will appear in November 2023 with BT v4.2 ??

1698047999984.png

Oct 23, 2023 at 8:32 AM Post #112 of 464
I just don’t understand the use of Bluetooth 4.2; it’s all about perception and this is off-putting to say the least.
It is confusing. How a TWS earbud for $15 or $75 phone can have a better codec than a DAP is beyond me. The only reason I don't own one.

Oct 23, 2023 at 5:54 PM Post #115 of 464
Monday has long since ended in the far East, and yet no one has come up with a response to the 4.2 issue or the Android question someone else asked here.
That’s because they care about us.

Oct 24, 2023 at 3:11 AM Post #118 of 464
Ok, I guess that explains why AK is using 4.2 in this version of the Kann when the last version had 5.0
You’ve made your point. You don’t like old Bluetooth version so don’t buy it.
Now stop spamming the thread and let interested people discuss further. I’m sure there are many who don’t care about Bluetooth in a high-res DAP.

Oct 24, 2023 at 4:20 AM Post #119 of 464
How is this “spamming”? It is an entirely reasonable question. It may be a reason NOT to buy for some, having established that it is 4.2 and not the hoped for typo. I still don’t understand the application of a long outdated version of Bluetooth in what otherwise appears to be a highly desirable upgrade to the Kann series. As I said in my original post, it’s all about perception. This revelation is off-putting. Bluetooth 4.2 is considered to be flaky at best.

Oct 24, 2023 at 4:36 AM Post #120 of 464
You’ve made your point. You don’t like old Bluetooth version so don’t buy it.
Now stop spamming the thread and let interested people discuss further. I’m sure there are many who don’t care about Bluetooth in a high-res DAP.
And I have to say that I will be one of many who do care and will NOT be buying as a result of caring - I may not want Bluetooth for primary usage but I like to have options. Especially for £1600.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back