Astell&Kern Launches KANN Ultra DAP and AK HB1 Bluetooth Amp/DAC
Oct 21, 2023 at 8:14 AM Post #91 of 467
So is it using a very old version of android os ?
is that such a deal breaker ?
why would it be a deal breaker ?
sorry
newbies of newbies asking dumb questions
:sweat::sweat::sweat:

Oct 21, 2023 at 8:39 AM Post #92 of 467
Could you please clarify what functionality needed for both TWS models is not supported in the older 4.2 stack? I would like to understand this a little better ...
DAP is a portable device where one of the most important factors is battery life both when sending and receiving
and its multifunctionality, the ability to connect everything to everything.

What are the improvements and what is the advantage in BT v5.x than in v4.2
- much lower power consumption
- greater range and more stable connection between devices
(and this is not only about DAP communication with TWS but also with yes
promoted A&K BT-Sink function for DAP connection with the Phone ,Streamer, Tablet, etc...)
- inability to use codecs other than the basic ones
I don't want to enter into a polemic here as to whether lossless codecs are needed
or not is not the topic of this thread ,and that this is not the purpose of buying the Kann series
- but please read it my previous posts - the Kann series has already had BT 5.0 for several years, it is also the cheapest model SR35

Admit it yourself that yesterday, when you were looking at the Kann Ultra specification, you stopped for a moment at BT v4.2 and didn't think it was an error on the website - because I did?

Oct 21, 2023 at 8:53 AM Post #93 of 467
Admit it yourself that yesterday, when you were looking at the Kann Ultra specification, you stopped for a moment at BT v4.2 and didn't think it was an error on the website - because I did?
TBH I didn't... Never crossed my mind. For me if APTX-HD and LDAC are present and perform according industry specifications it's sufficient. In earlier AK models BT battery consumption nor range have ever been an issue for me. This always performed at a satisfactory level (for me at least)

Wifi range on the other hand is an absolute requirement and earlier AK models have been known to perform poorly in that area...

Oct 21, 2023 at 10:56 AM Post #94 of 467
Good evening, having kann max somehow didn't think about the android version. What is he like? And about bt, I've hardly used tws myself. But I would improve wi-fi.But maybe there will still be bt 5.0 in kann ultra .Let's wait for reviews who will listen to the new kann.

Oct 21, 2023 at 5:14 PM Post #98 of 467
I like to connect my dap to my TV to watch movies as well as a TWS now and then. 4.2? I can only imagine the audio lag causing severe lip sync issues. No thank you.

Oct 22, 2023 at 6:30 AM Post #101 of 467
Sad but unfortunately true on the official website , you can download a .pdf with the manual ,on page 72
Bluetooth BT v 4.2 - in new Astell & Kern Kann ULTRA

1697970570635.png

Oct 22, 2023 at 6:33 AM Post #102 of 467
Sad but unfortunately true on the official website , you can download a .pdf with the manual ,on page 72
Bluetooth BT v 4.2 - in new Astell & Kern Kann ULTRA

1697970570635.png
Could still be a typo. I suggest we park it for now and wait for an official statement from @JasonNYC 😁

Oct 22, 2023 at 8:52 AM Post #103 of 467
Is this a Big Deal Breaker ?

Why ?

:sweat::sweat::sweat:
For many people, makes no difference.
For some people who also use the DAP while travelling, it's a very old protocol, and in some cases the much newer 5.3 or even a 5.0 will provide a more solid and maybe better quality connection.

For all people, it seems absurd, since the prior generation, Kann Max, *did* have 5.0.

Major differences are speed, twice as fast, allegedly 4 times the range.. See this site:

https://www.amarinfotech.com/differ...elp you decide what work best for your device

Oct 22, 2023 at 8:59 AM Post #104 of 467
Could still be a typo. I suggest we park it for now and wait for an official statement from @JasonNYC 😁
I find it faintly ridiculous that a representative of A&K is not able to contact anyone at A&K for days (yes, I know we are in a weekend, but this thread started a few days ago, October 19 to be precise, Thursday. No one working/telephones on the blink on a whole day, Friday?).

And after a few years, Jason is savvy enough to know when something is blowing up. He could/should have contacted them right away on Thursday, so that when they open on Friday morning (our late Thursday evening), they can correct the typo, or at least prepare a response, given a whole day.

No, I think it's 4.2, all the way.

Last edited:
Oct 22, 2023 at 9:48 AM Post #105 of 467
For many people, makes no difference.
For some people who also use the DAP while travelling, it's a very old protocol, and in some cases the much newer 5.3 or even a 5.0 will provide a more solid and maybe better quality connection.

For all people, it seems absurd, since the prior generation, Kann Max, *did* have 5.0.

Major differences are speed, twice as fast, allegedly 4 times the range.. See this site:

https://www.amarinfotech.com/differences-comparisons-bluetooth-5-vs-4-2.html#:~:text=Difference Between Versions Here are 7 comparisons to help you decide what work best for your device
I remember the development and advancement of technology in subsequent versions of Bluetooth.
Dark times when I had to take my DAP or phone with me while walking a few meters - because the BT v4.2 range was too small for TWS headphones, and the electricity from the paired devices also ran out much faster.
I welcomed the new BT 5.0 with a smile .
Battery life for the source and receiver was significantly longer, I had to charge them less often, and the range was much longer and there was no channel fading or dropouts.

Who in 2023 is wondering whether if I want to switch to wireless headphones for some time and listen to music while cooking or doing other activities at home
(unless he is an avid audiophile and cooks lasagna with Focal Utopia on his head + long cable + DAP in his pocket :astonished:),
where is the DAP or smartphone physically located ?,
if it has controls in the headphones themselves - new BT 5.0 it's simply convenient and better.

I am also waiting for information from Astell&Kern headquarters to JasonNYC
1. Isn't BT v4.2 in Ultra an error?
- and if it is not an error, why exactly?
Technically, what is the justification for this?
(I am in the Astell&Kern family log time with 3 DAPs and 2 headphones)
2.Astell&Kern Kann Ultra - what Android version is it based on?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back