Astell&Kern Launches KANN ALPHA Digital Audio Player
Jul 3, 2022 at 12:41 AM Post #1,966 of 2,082
Hi Cocosan,

Thanks so for much for chiming in! Oh, wow... so there is a Foobar app for the A&K Kann Alpha? This is quite a revelation, and I will have to install it right away. Thanks so much! (Thank you also for having verified that the Foobar app does apply the EQ settings. Rock on! :) )

Jonathan
Just to clarify, the EQ setting that got applied is the EQ in the Foobar200 app (v1.3), which is only a little better than device's system EQ.

Here is the link to A&K's website on the 'Open App': https://us.astellnkern.com/blogs/news/open-app-service-instructions

Foobar2000 is one of the app that is permitted to run on the A&K devices. It would be much better if A&K could support Android properly which would enable more great apps. Beside the A&K's crappy customer support, this is the biggest reason I am switching over to Sony.

Last edited:
Jul 3, 2022 at 1:44 AM Post #1,967 of 2,082
Just to clarify, the EQ setting that got applied is the EQ in the Foobar200 app (v1.3), which is only a little better than device's system EQ.

Here is the link to A&K's website on the 'Open App': https://us.astellnkern.com/blogs/news/open-app-service-instructions

Foobar2000 is one of the app that is permitted to run on the A&K devices. It would be much better if A&K could support Android properly which would enable more great apps. Beside the A&K's crappy customer support, this is the biggest reason I am switching over to Sony.
Thanks for the clarification and additional information!

I have installed the standalone Qobuz and Tidal apps, and I'll admit that it wasn't easy.

Jul 19, 2022 at 2:55 AM Post #1,968 of 2,082
What a pity A&K took more than one year to definitely fix their terrific Wifi Drops issues ...
These last days, I am playing a bit with my Kann Alpha, and now, without any drops, , though it's still based on an obsolete closed android OS and limited hardware, but, I really feel this DAP could have been a real winner, as :
-> sound quality is almost excellent,
-> battery life doesn't reach the 30 hours or more of a WM1A, but, with 12 to 14 hours playing time, it's probably one of the best I could use till now (compared to my FIIOs, Hiby, Shanling, ...)
-> A&K connect is not very attractive, but, it is now really one of the most efficient and stable as dlna renderer I can use (it's found as a renderer easier than most other DAP).
-> BT Sink, as a new real feature, is also very efficient (though Wifi must be set off) with my smartphone and on it is on par with the WM1A
-> BT is now totally stable and remote controls have no drops any more too, which is convenient when Kann Alpha is used in a desktop situation (plugged to powerline)
-> it's working really fine with a compact external SSD like the samsung 2Tb T3) making it a 3Tb DAP though battery life drops to a 7 hours or less.
-> it stays a rather compact form factor, tough it's a bit thick, but with a significant available power to properly move difficult IEM/Headphones

Now, I don't think I will buy again some A&K DAP because of this really bad experience for more than one year ... and also because of the closed OS which don't allow me to use some high end players like Neutron, UAP or some DSPs like Poweramp EQ or Wavelet, but I think now, as the Alpha Kann is, it can be worth for some new users to include this DAP in a a selection as now I think all known issues seem to be fixed.

Last edited:
Jul 19, 2022 at 3:35 PM Post #1,969 of 2,082
New firmware expected to be released tonight around 11 pm ET, morning of July 20th in Korea with additional Bluetooth and Wi-Fi stability fixes.

New firmware will also add the download tab to the services menu which provides the ability to download supported apps from the player without having to manually load them using a computer. This is the same as what is currently available on the SP2000T.

Astell&Kern Stay updated on Astell&Kern at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/astellnkern/ https://twitter.com/astell_kern https://www.instagram.com/astellnkern.official/ https://astellnkern.com astellnkern@astellnkern.com
Jul 20, 2022 at 2:13 AM Post #1,971 of 2,082
I had no issue with installing via OTA the new 1.40CN firmware...
Wifi is still working like a charm for upnp server access, and BT Sink in LDAC mode (still needs to turn off WIFI first) is still perfectly stable, even with some track info on the screen that the Sony WM1A doesn't show.
Unfortunately, hardware buttons are not active when screen is turned off in BT Sink Mode .. I can't pause/play/Skip tracks etc at all. and any BT remote control is disconnected when we switch to BT Sink mode => so there is no possibility to play with tracks of a playlist or control the volume level when screen is turned off, you can only use a BT connected to the smartphone (Sony WM1A does this perfectly).

Though, it's a less important feature, I just tried last night to sleep with a Bluetooth iFi Go Blu amp as output from the Kann Alpha (playing only hires flac files)....the improvement of battery playing time becomes just amazing ... I calculated after 6 hours continuous playing music, that the Kann Alpha should be like a 25 hours possible playing time (far better than my ZFold2 smartphone, and very comparable to the WM1A).

Anyway.... still a very good player as it is now.

Wanna hear how good the Alpha sounds? Listen to the Hidizs AP80 Pro for a little while, then switch to the Alpha ... :grin:
What do you mean ... both have same sound quality ?

Last edited:
Jul 20, 2022 at 3:48 PM Post #1,973 of 2,082
New firmware expected to be released tonight around 11 pm ET, morning of July 20th in Korea with additional Bluetooth and Wi-Fi stability fixes.

New firmware will also add the download tab to the services menu which provides the ability to download supported apps from the player without having to manually load them using a computer. This is the same as what is currently available on the SP2000T.
Thanks! It seems the playback list issue has been resolved with this update. At least my first test was positive. However, the problem with the German special character is still open.

Jul 26, 2022 at 7:34 PM Post #1,975 of 2,082
Must correct myself, playback via Artist still does not work correctly. Currently only possible via album selection. Too bad...
I only use the Artist list. Don't have an issue with any out of order titles.

In your case, are they ordered alphabetically? Or is it seemingly random?

You said you've checked metadata. I assume you've made sure the tracks are numbered correctly?

Jul 27, 2022 at 1:48 AM Post #1,976 of 2,082
Anyone having issues with apk Apple Music lately on their kann alpha? Up to latest version of the ak software and was on 3.7 Apple Music but now it won’t load any songs or play anything.

Tried side losing 3.10.1 and still getting the same issues.

I noticed there is a 3.10 version that is native to download in the download section of the services section but when I hit download, it seems to think and then hang. Tried it heaps of times with no luck hence why I have to go the apk route.

Any suggestions I can do to fix this?

Jul 27, 2022 at 4:08 AM Post #1,977 of 2,082
I only use the Artist list. Don't have an issue with any out of order titles.

In your case, are they ordered alphabetically? Or is it seemingly random?

You said you've checked metadata. I assume you've made sure the tracks are numbered correctly?
Thanks for the Feedback.
Yes, metadata is correct. My Volumio network player plays the files correctly. "Normal" albums seem to work but box sets cause problems, e.g. Super Deluxe of Metallica' Black Album, when I press play the album starts with the live concert at Wembley, which is on CD number 4 or so.

Jul 27, 2022 at 10:39 AM Post #1,978 of 2,082
Thanks for the Feedback.
Yes, metadata is correct. My Volumio network player plays the files correctly. "Normal" albums seem to work but box sets cause problems, e.g. Super Deluxe of Metallica' Black Album, when I press play the album starts with the live concert at Wembley, which is on CD number 4 or so.
Ok. I have a few multi CD sets. Two off the top of my head are Rory Gallagher sets and I know those both are ordered properly. They are 3 CD sets. On Windows they are within a folder with the Name of the Album and then titled as CD1 - , CD2 - , CD3 - (with the actual Title of each CD following the dash, for example CD1 - Electric, CD2 - Acoustic etc. ) They were downloads and I don't believe that I had to mess with the tagging at all. I think it was already done. Cannot check right now to see how the player has them titled but I believe it's the same way.

Jul 27, 2022 at 10:47 AM Post #1,979 of 2,082
In case anyone is interested, I believe that ESS has discontinued the ES9068 chips. One of the Fiio M11 series players was using the chip as well and I read somewhere in a description for that particular M11 series DAP that the ES9068 was discontinued. The Max went on to use ES9038Q2M chips which may or may not be related to the 9068 being nixed. It still shows up on the ESS site but the 9068 used to be available at some of the big online electronic supply sites and it hasn't been for a while now. That chip hasn't been out long so I wonder why it's been discontinued by ESS ... assuming it truly has been.

Last edited:
Aug 11, 2022 at 10:53 AM Post #1,980 of 2,082

Is there any possibility to include in a future firmware update crossfeed feature as it appeared in the new AK KANN ALPHA MAX?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back