Astell&Kern Launches KANN ALPHA Digital Audio Player
Mar 23, 2022 at 3:57 PM Post #1,906 of 2,082
Size, weight are quite similar, but the buttons and volume control are very different. The 4.4 balanced output is a big plus. No SD card slot, just one microSD. No separate USB port for charging. I cannot comment on battery life differences.

Soundwise the Alpha is much closer to the Cube than OG Kann. I loved the sound of the OG Kann, which is very warm. When I got the Cube I needed several weeks to adjust to the brighter sound. I suppose it did worth it in the end, because it has more extension on top and bottom, has wider soundstage, overall cleaner sound. In addition the Alpha has velvety mids compared to the Cube.

If the upgrade worth depends on what you are driving with it and first if all your listening preferences.
Thanks for this, it’s super helpful.

I’m using the OG Kann with the new SR325x and I’m like Homer Simpson drooling when I listen to it. Was just wondering what the Alpha might add but maybe the warm OG with the 325x is a better pairing?

Mar 23, 2022 at 4:10 PM Post #1,907 of 2,082
Thanks for this, it’s super helpful.

I’m using the OG Kann with the new SR325x and I’m like Homer Simpson drooling when I listen to it. Was just wondering what the Alpha might add but maybe the warm OG with the 325x is a better pairing?
I have used the OG Kann, and now am on the Alpha, driving HD800s, amazing soundstage, and the sound is a little on the bright side, but superb. The 4.4mm balanced output eliminates noise, would definetely upgrade to Alpha.

Mar 24, 2022 at 5:26 PM Post #1,908 of 2,082
I have used the OG Kann, and now am on the Alpha, driving HD800s, amazing soundstage, and the sound is a little on the bright side, but superb. The 4.4mm balanced output eliminates noise, would definetely upgrade to Alpha.
I connected my Alpha via bluetooth to my car, but I cannot select tracks off the car's infotainment system, says unavailable. Does anyone know how I can enable this function please?

Apr 10, 2022 at 7:13 PM Post #1,909 of 2,082
Hi @JasonNYC - has anyone encountered an issue with not being able to save custom EQ profiles since the last firmware update? I can add a new profile and rename it, edit the EQ and switch it on or off, but my profiles don't persist if I switch the device off, which is very frustrating.

Apr 11, 2022 at 12:30 PM Post #1,910 of 2,082
Hi @JasonNYC - has anyone encountered an issue with not being able to save custom EQ profiles since the last firmware update? I can add a new profile and rename it, edit the EQ and switch it on or off, but my profiles don't persist if I switch the device off, which is very frustrating.
Has not been reported. I just tested by creating two different custom EQs, was able to switch between both and the normal, shut the player off/on a few times and both custom that I set up are still there. I also had one of our US support try on a different KANN ALPHA and no issue.

There were two different firmwares released within a week of each other. I assume you are on v. 1.31?

I will pass this along to our global team to see if there have been any other reports.

Astell&Kern Stay updated on Astell&Kern at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/astellnkern/ https://twitter.com/astell_kern https://www.instagram.com/astellnkern.official/ https://astellnkern.com astellnkern@astellnkern.com
Apr 11, 2022 at 8:58 PM Post #1,912 of 2,082
Woodside the following information may help you.

A Bluetooth profile defines the functionality that a device supports and can execute when it connects with another Bluetooth. If both devices support the same profiles, then you are able to enjoy the features or functionalities that profile specifies.

Where only one device supports a particular profile, you will be unable to use the associated functionalities, because the other device is unable to communicate at that level.

There are four main Bluetooth profiles, as follows: HSP (Headset Profile), HFP (Hands Free Profile), A2DP and AVRCP.

HSP and HFP Bluetooth profiles are those required for typical, mono Bluetooth headset operations; A2DP and AVRCP are important for stereo headsets. There are other Bluetooth profiles beyond these four, but these are the most common.

The Bluetooth only streams A2DP (Advanced Audio Distribution Profile) which will not support any images or album art.

A2DP only supports basic features such as stop, play, reverse and forward.

Some units have the ability to read meta-data with the AVRCD Bluetooth profile.

The D2DP is frequently also used in conjunction with the so-called AVRCP (Audio/Video Remote Control Profile). This not only enables the transfer of pure audio data, but also of information for controlling devices. In this way it is also possible to remotely operate an audio player from a Bluetooth headset, for example.

The Bluetooth AVRCP 1.4 should be able to display album art from compatible devices like the Apple iPhone (iOS 5.0+) or an Android smartphone (OS 4.0+)

Specification wise, transferring cover art over Bluetooth is supported since AVRCP 1.6, but unfortunately it’s not widely implemented yet. AVRCP 1.6.1 came out Dec 15, 2015.

With AVRCP 1.6 you can not only browse data and track information, but instead of having a little metadata, you can download complete information regarding tracks. That can include historical blurbs, cover art, and much more.

Cover art/Album cannot be transferred over Bluetooth unless both your phone/DAP devices and the car stereo you are listening to are using the same Bluetooth Profile.

Woodside you would have to find out which Bluetooth the car and your Kann Alpha use to find where your problem lies.

Apr 17, 2022 at 3:10 PM Post #1,916 of 2,082
Hi all, so after a couple of years, where I let the KA go since I feared some of its flaws (i.e. the WiFi dropoff under some circumstances), I somehow miss it and try to check if it became a more mature product :)

1. So first off, is the WiFi dropout solved, correct?
2. How does stock Qobuz apk works now? Is it fast enough to be useful?
3. Any news about UAPP compatibility?
4. Are there any other "recent" issues after the firmware update?

Thanks for the feedback!

Apr 17, 2022 at 4:00 PM Post #1,917 of 2,082
Hi all, so after a couple of years, where I let the KA go since I feared some of its flaws (i.e. the WiFi dropoff under some circumstances), I somehow miss it and try to check if it became a more mature product :)

1. So first off, is the WiFi dropout solved, correct?
2. How does stock Qobuz apk works now? Is it fast enough to be useful?
3. Any news about UAPP compatibility?
4. Are there any other "recent" issues after the firmware update?

Thanks for the feedback!

It's much more usable now ... no more wifi drops, a new Bluetooth DAC possibility, though you must deactivate Wifi, no more BT remote drops, Qobuz working fine...
No Neutron or UAPP compatibility...

So I would say the Kann Alpha is, more than one year later, what it should have been in Nov/Dec 2020... but now, it's worth to use it.

Last edited:
Apr 17, 2022 at 4:14 PM Post #1,918 of 2,082
It's much more usable now ... no more wifi drops, a new Bluetooth DAC possibility, though you must deactivate Wifi, no more BT remote drops, Qobuz working fine...
No Neutron or UAPP compatibility...

So I would say the Kann Alpha is, more than one year later, what it should have been in Nov/Dec 2020... but now, it's worth to use it.
Cheers, it seems the good time to look for a good bargain then :wink:

Apr 20, 2022 at 10:47 AM Post #1,920 of 2,082
Hello @JasonNYC - I'm unable to save custom EQ profiles (or at least they will not persist after shutting the device down if I can save them) since the last firmware update.

Is this something anyone else is having trouble with?

Same here...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back