Astell&Kern Launches KANN ALPHA Digital Audio Player
Mar 1, 2021 at 2:13 PM Post #1,156 of 2,082
Is there anything to keep in mind for the 3.5mm side of the cable, I remember reading somewhere that this jack was also compatible for optical out. So is there is a specific optical 3.5mm which is needed, or is it a simple 3.5mm jack? Still new to the connections, so appreciate the responses :)

I use this 3.5mm for toslink fiber .. it's automatic and nothing to select... working perfectly.

Mar 1, 2021 at 2:13 PM Post #1,157 of 2,082
Is there anything to keep in mind for the 3.5mm side of the cable, I remember reading somewhere that this jack was also compatible for optical out. So is there is a specific optical 3.5mm which is needed, or is it a simple 3.5mm jack? Still new to the connections, so appreciate the responses :)
I bought a 3.5mm optical out cable.
Heres a link to the one I have, it works fine,

FosPower 1.8M Gold Plated Toslink to Mini Toslink Digital Optical S/PDIF Audio Cable with Metal Connectors & Strain-Relief PVC Jacket
by theWireless USA
https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00T8HWUVS/ref=cm_sw_em_r_mt_dp_PH4SNT9981XW6PZ1XF9T

Last edited:
Mar 1, 2021 at 4:52 PM Post #1,158 of 2,082
As long as you get one that works properly it is a great unit. I had to buy two to get one that works but now that it does I love it. They make nice products they just need to tighten things up on the software side of things. I imagine it's hard to fix problems that only affect some users.
@MikeW9788 I sent you a PM with a few questions to follow up on this issue as we continue to troubleshoot if you wouldn't mind please taking a look at. Thank you!

Astell&Kern Stay updated on Astell&Kern at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/astellnkern/ https://twitter.com/astell_kern https://www.instagram.com/astellnkern.official/ https://astellnkern.com astellnkern@astellnkern.com
Mar 4, 2021 at 2:20 PM Post #1,160 of 2,082
Re Bluetooth remotes: I recently purchased this because I wanted something compact to operate the Alpha while out walking (rather than fishing in my pocket all the time and trying to figure which button is which by touch with my fat fingers).

61GQbgsjEmL._AC_SL1200_.jpg

It works fine and you can attach a fob to it (the disc shaped unit separates from the holder):

KW Mobile Bluetooth Media button - Amazon UK link

Mar 5, 2021 at 8:02 AM Post #1,161 of 2,082
For those with the AK CD ripper and using it to rip CDs, is there anyway to change the save location for ripped tracks from internal memory to SD card? At the moment I only seem to be able to rip to internal memory. I could copy and move the files manually later I suppose, but would be simpler if we could directly save to SD card.

Mar 5, 2021 at 8:41 AM Post #1,162 of 2,082
For those with the AK CD ripper and using it to rip CDs, is there anyway to change the save location for ripped tracks from internal memory to SD card? At the moment I only seem to be able to rip to internal memory. I could copy and move the files manually later I suppose, but would be simpler if we could directly save to SD card.
iirc It's been stated by Jason on one of the myriad of AK Threads that the Ripper can only save to internal memory, it can't save to SD Card - a bit of p.i.a imo

Mar 5, 2021 at 7:47 PM Post #1,163 of 2,082
Re Bluetooth remotes: I recently purchased this because I wanted something compact to operate the Alpha while out walking (rather than fishing in my pocket all the time and trying to figure which button is which by touch with my fat fingers).

It works fine and you can attach a fob to it (the disc shaped unit separates from the holder):

KW Mobile Bluetooth Media button - Amazon UK linkDidvo

61GQbgsjEmL._AC_SL1200_.jpg

KW Mobile Bluetooth Media button - Amazon UK link
One slight limitation: when the unit goes into standby the volume control only works incrementally.

So you have to click the button furiously to turn the volume up and down.

No idea if this is the case for other Bluetooth controls.

Mar 6, 2021 at 1:17 PM Post #1,164 of 2,082
Cheers for the steer on this little unit, mine arrived today and its a great addition, pretty good build quality considering the price, those little buttons on the alpha plus a leather case are not a good mix.

Mar 8, 2021 at 5:44 AM Post #1,165 of 2,082
So i decided to buy one. My friend will bring it to me from US. But i’m confused you guys said it’s not reliable and can be dead on arrival.
If i’m gonna drop more money than a macbook i’ll expect it to last that long at least. Mostly in high gain batteries die overtime. Are they user replacable or what’s the procedure if battery is dead?

Mar 8, 2021 at 6:19 AM Post #1,166 of 2,082
I might have missed it, but I don't think anyone has complained about it being dead on arrival. The most significant issue seems to be with the AK Connect function (which I don't personally use) and some cases where tracks skip on some apps when the player is left idle for 15 mins. I have not encountered any of these issues. You need to side-load apps which can be a bit tricky and the Tidal app is a little sluggish vs. the iPhone version but once you get past that everything works perfectly. The native player works perfectly fine for downloaded / ripped music.

The sound quality of course is great, musical with tons of detail, separation, soundstage, etc. (also depending on your headphones), which has also been discussed previously in the forum. I've been using it extensively for about one and a half months now so can only confirm longevity till then, but I haven't experienced anything to give me concern. To preserve battery life I usually try and keep it between 10-90% and find myself charging it about every other day with a solid 5-7 hours of listening per day at medium gain.

Maybe @JasonNYC could give us some more detail on expected battery life and if it's replacable / how one would go about it?

Mar 8, 2021 at 8:52 AM Post #1,168 of 2,082
That's why I went for the Dignis case and am super happy with it. That has a cut out so you can directly feel the buttons, instead of through the case.
+1 for the Dignis cases. I have the blue. It’s well made, and does a great job protecting. Oh, and it looks good too.
FAFD77E8-1F0F-4603-BCE7-D47CED307F8E.jpeg
1D4CB08E-2E96-4F49-9A5A-2A3B3F4CA919.jpeg
25682D23-B857-4EEC-A238-E50543E62926.jpeg
11442958.jpeg

Attachments

• BC84362A-7066-484D-802E-52CF49019196.jpeg
    BC84362A-7066-484D-802E-52CF49019196.jpeg
    374.5 KB · Views: 0
  • 84E31215-8A54-4E40-BE55-7438FC427BC8.jpeg
    84E31215-8A54-4E40-BE55-7438FC427BC8.jpeg
    258 KB · Views: 0
Mar 9, 2021 at 6:59 AM Post #1,169 of 2,082
I haven’t used the line out function with the Kann Alpha thus far. Today I thought I might as well try it out since I have my tube electrostatic amplifier, the VAW 8PS, hooked up to a 4.4mm cable to dual XLR cable. Listening out of a Hifiman Shangri-La Junior. Wow!!! I did not expect the line out to sound this good. Whether it be streaming Tidal, QQ Music or from the memory. Color me impressed!

Last edited:
Mar 9, 2021 at 7:03 AM Post #1,170 of 2,082
@JasonNYC : quick question: I recall you had mentioned in the SP1K and the SP2K threads that new FW is coming for them. Will new FW be coming for the Kann Alpha too? Thanks

Users who are viewing this thread

Back