Astell&Kern Launches KANN ALPHA Digital Audio Player
Feb 27, 2021 at 5:30 AM Post #1,141 of 2,084
I finally found a way to use this item more or less as I intended to use it when I ordered it last December !!!

First you have to disconnect totally AKConnect as it is an unacceptable, amazing garbage piece of software !!! is automatically disabled every 10 to 15 minutes if you don't touch anything (button, volume, screen,...), and it doesn't memorize the playlist or the music you were listening before getting in standby automatically (so you have all the selection and path to redo)..
Without AKconnect, you lose definitely any possibility to be a DLNA media renderer for your smartphone or your Notebook, PC etc, as A&K is restricting most of the android software !!! so no DLNA render are available in A&K list authorization.

The thing I discovered this weekend, as I didn't notice it before, concern DS Audio (which is an apk allowed by A&K) it has some nice features, you can't output DSD directly to toslink (though AkConnect can do but with standby every 10 minutes) or access through internet/4g to a server:
a) from the Kann Alpha via DS Audio, you can choose to output the music to an external dlna renderer with some more powerful proper PEQ compatible with AutoEQ and even output DSD to that external renderer like a Home Cinema Amp to play lossless DSD on external speakers (like with IOS or Android smartphones).
b) it makes Synology diskstation totally accessible without drops... but with no 4G access as you can't use android Bubbleupnp from outside your home
c) strangely Kann Alpha can do some multitasking with playing music from the SD reader to any headphone connected to the 4.4mm output and be able to play music with DS Audio from a Synology Server to an external dlna renderer ( ... though the Kann Alpha is as usual rather slow compared most of my other DAP and smartphones).

Now, there are some really nice feature, that will make the Kann Alpha a keeper in my situation.
1) it's really compact for the available quality and power and makes it a nice combination with a IER-Z1R or Ultrasone Ed15 Veritas (The WM1A is lacking some power with a HEDDphone by HEDD, and CENTRANCE M8V2 is well powered but too bulky and uncomfortable to charge when attached to a Fiio M11 or WM1A)
2) Toslink output is efficient and makes the Kann Alpha easy to be a good source for of a power desktop solution
3) Sound and power are above average and nice (above at least M9, M11, R6rpro, Windows Notebook) but a bit behind WM1A in music quality and clearly behind M8 V2 in power to drive difficult headphones.
4) Compatible with the tiny and comfortable Sony remote control Rmt-nws20
5) The CD ripper MKII is a nice feature, though again there is a conceptual mistake as you can't charge the Kann Alpha at the same time you are using the CD Ripper to rip your CD or play CD.
6) Though there is like no DLNA renderer as AKconnect is more or less just garbage, the Kann alpha can access nicely to all of my music :
-> 2x1Tb of SD via internal sd and avery small external USB-C OTG SD reader at the same time
-> Qobuz is fully functional in Hires with the possibility to download 50Gb lossless playlists in internal memory (for travelling in planes) and, of course, access to all Qobuz Hires/Lossless Catalog through a rather stable link to any wifi/4G access point (from smartphones in trains)
-> DS Audio is working nicely with memorizing where you are, but with a limitation that makes impossible to access my Synology server through internet with 4G (via DSAudio through Bubbleupnp Synology server addon).

These 6 features, makes the Kann Alpha unique so I will keep the Kann Alpha at home and still hope/dream Astell&Kann will be able to be more serious and produce a AKconnect function without automatic standby (the feature in the parameters has strictly no effect) and will be able to memorize last used playlist and place you are when you stop playing music like all my other DAPs.

I would say, as the Kann Alpha is, it can be a nice desktop source (with CD Ripper II) and can be instantly disconnected from the external AMP/DAC and continue listening a playlist, just by attaching the headphone from the desktop amp to the kann alpha => I am free at home to listen music where I want.

But, definitely, I don't recommend this DAP. I bought it, so I keep it, but I hope another brand will produce a more serious item (Good Sound, Good Power, Toslink Output, a good CD player/ripper like the Kann Alpha, but a much better and more solid software).

Last edited:
Feb 27, 2021 at 2:36 PM Post #1,143 of 2,084
I finally found a way to use this item more or less as I intended to use it when I ordered it last December !!!

First you have to disconnect totally AKConnect as it is an unacceptable, amazing garbage piece of software !!! is automatically disabled every 10 to 15 minutes if you don't touch anything (button, volume, screen,...), and it doesn't memorize the playlist or the music you were listening before getting in standby automatically (so you have all the selection and path to redo)..
Without AKconnect, you lose definitely any possibility to be a DLNA media renderer for your smartphone or your Notebook, PC etc, as A&K is restricting most of the android software !!! so no DLNA render are available in A&K list authorization.

The thing I discovered this weekend, as I didn't notice it before, concern DS Audio (which is an apk allowed by A&K) it has some nice features, you can't output DSD directly to toslink (though AkConnect can do but with standby every 10 minutes) or access through internet/4g to a server:
a) from the Kann Alpha via DS Audio, you can choose to output the music to an external dlna renderer with some more powerful proper PEQ compatible with AutoEQ and even output DSD to that external renderer like a Home Cinema Amp to play lossless DSD on external speakers (like with IOS or Android smartphones).
b) it makes Synology diskstation totally accessible without drops... but with no 4G access as you can't use android Bubbleupnp from outside your home
c) strangely Kann Alpha can do some multitasking with playing music from the SD reader to any headphone connected to the 4.4mm output and be able to play music with DS Audio from a Synology Server to an external dlna renderer ( ... though the Kann Alpha is as usual rather slow compared most of my other DAP and smartphones).

Now, there are some really nice feature, that will make the Kann Alpha a keeper in my situation.
1) it's really compact for the available quality and power and makes it a nice combination with a IER-Z1R or Ultrasone Ed15 Veritas (The WM1A is lacking some power with a HEDDphone by HEDD, and CENTRANCE M8V2 is well powered but too bulky and uncomfortable to charge when attached to a Fiio M11 or WM1A)
2) Toslink output is efficient and makes the Kann Alpha easy to be a good source for of a power desktop solution
3) Sound and power are above average and nice (above at least M9, M11, R6rpro, Windows Notebook) but a bit behind WM1A in music quality and clearly behind M8 V2 in power to drive difficult headphones.
4) Compatible with the tiny and comfortable Sony remote control Rmt-nws20
5) The CD ripper MKII is a nice feature, though again there is a conceptual mistake as you can't charge the Kann Alpha at the same time you are using the CD Ripper to rip your CD or play CD.
6) Though there is like no DLNA renderer as AKconnect is more or less just garbage, the Kann alpha can access nicely to all of my music :
-> 2x1Tb of SD via internal sd and avery small external USB-C OTG SD reader at the same time
-> Qobuz is fully functional in Hires with the possibility to download 50Gb lossless playlists in internal memory (for travelling in planes) and, of course, access to all Qobuz Hires/Lossless Catalog through a rather stable link to any wifi/4G access point (from smartphones in trains)
-> DS Audio is working nicely with memorizing where you are, but with a limitation that makes impossible to access my Synology server through internet with 4G (via DSAudio through Bubbleupnp Synology server addon).

These 6 features, makes the Kann Alpha unique so I will keep the Kann Alpha at home and still hope/dream Astell&Kann will be able to be more serious and produce a AKconnect function without automatic standby (the feature in the parameters has strictly no effect) and will be able to memorize last used playlist and place you are when you stop playing music like all my other DAPs.

I would say, as the Kann Alpha is, it can be a nice desktop source (with CD Ripper II) and can be instantly disconnected from the external AMP/DAC and continue listening a playlist, just by attaching the headphone from the desktop amp to the kann alpha => I am free at home to listen music where I want.

But, definitely, I don't recommend this DAP. I bought it, so I keep it, but I hope another brand will produce a more serious item (Good Sound, Good Power, Toslink Output, a good CD player/ripper like the Kann Alpha, but a much better and more solid software).

Hi, I'm with you, I have already given up, I completely pass the alpha, I have sent it back to the distributor and bought an ibasso dx 300 and I cannot be more happy, without burning it already sounds very good. astell never again

Mar 1, 2021 at 5:19 AM Post #1,144 of 2,084
Seems to be a lot of negative posts recently on here. Not trying to start an argument, but for some-one researching the Alpha, I thought I would add my input, for the sake of balance.
Whilst I understand the frustration of Alpha users regarding the AK Connect software, I want to say I use the A&K Alpha player, and I am more than happy with it.
I use it as a Streamer on my home wi-fi connected to Tidal or Qobuz, I play it through headphones/iems, I rip CDs onto it, and I download from Tidal/Qobuz for offline listening.
I feel ( for me, of course, YMMV ), this is it's purpose. This is why I bought it. For me, personally, it does exactly what I need it to do.And it does it very well.
I do occasionally play it through my Audiolab amp, via a digi coax cable, and a couple of times over bluetooth.
I DO NOT use A&K Connect, as I don't need to.
But the most important thing is, it sounds AWESOME !!
I think that A&K do need to address the problems with software, after all, enough people are complaining about it, and it doesn't instill confidence to have no response , or indeed even an acknowledgement from the company.

Mar 1, 2021 at 6:07 AM Post #1,145 of 2,084
Seems to be a lot of negative posts recently on here. Not trying to start an argument, but for some-one researching the Alpha, I thought I would add my input, for the sake of balance.
Whilst I understand the frustration of Alpha users regarding the AK Connect software, I want to say I use the A&K Alpha player, and I am more than happy with it.
I use it as a Streamer on my home wi-fi connected to Tidal or Qobuz, I play it through headphones/iems, I rip CDs onto it, and I download from Tidal/Qobuz for offline listening.
I feel ( for me, of course, YMMV ), this is it's purpose. This is why I bought it. For me, personally, it does exactly what I need it to do.And it does it very well.
I do occasionally play it through my Audiolab amp, via a digi coax cable, and a couple of times over bluetooth.
I DO NOT use A&K Connect, as I don't need to.
But the most important thing is, it sounds AWESOME !!
I think that A&K do need to address the problems with software, after all, enough people are complaining about it, and it doesn't instill confidence to have no response , or indeed even an acknowledgement from the company.
As long as you get one that works properly it is a great unit. I had to buy two to get one that works but now that it does I love it. They make nice products they just need to tighten things up on the software side of things. I imagine it's hard to fix problems that only affect some users.

Mar 1, 2021 at 7:34 AM Post #1,146 of 2,084
I think you've hit the nail on the head. An intermittent fault is usually the most difficult to address.
I must admit to being a bit bewildered as to the lack of response from A&K about this. I know there was an acknowledgement a few posts back, but not from the company itself.

Mar 1, 2021 at 8:13 AM Post #1,147 of 2,084
I think you've hit the nail on the head. An intermittent fault is usually the most difficult to address.
I must admit to being a bit bewildered as to the lack of response from A&K about this. I know there was an acknowledgement a few posts back, but not from the company itself.

I think it is not an intermittent issue => I bought 2x KannAlpha with 2x different firmware, one from China with 1.01CN and one from France with 1.01CM .. both goes to AKConnect sleep mode as soon as AKConnect is active for more than 15 minutes and drops Wi-Fi.
This happens, even if AK Connect is not really used in itself with Qobuz Service or DSAudio Service, every time between 10 and 15 minutes.

No way to access the A&K company but only dealers or forum, the French dealer accepted I return the Kann Alpha for this issue straight away..
I didn't ask the Chinese dealer, as I was expecting a simple firmware update to correct the standby issue for 2 months now, though I understood tha the 1.01 version should have addressed already the AKConnect Sleep mode issue with a special option in the menu, but has no effect on both KannAlpha I bought!

I am not sure that any person who came here and used AKConnect could really go over 15 minutes with any of WI-FI services !!!!

As the KannAlpha has no BT5.0 input nor accept any UPNP/DLNA software other than AKConnect (like Neutron/USB/Bubbleupnp/etc) this issue is a major issue in 2021 that almost none of these 3 last years DAP have such input limitations in Hires mode (24bits/96Khz).

Last edited:
Mar 1, 2021 at 9:15 AM Post #1,149 of 2,084
The issue that I had was song skipping in tidal when the screen is off, this only affected some players as the second one I brought works fine. I haven't tried using the AK CONNECT so im not sure if mine works or not. Im afraid to try it.

:dt880smile: :dt880smile: :dt880smile:

Mar 1, 2021 at 9:44 AM Post #1,150 of 2,084
I was trying today to connect to Kann Alpha to an Electrostatic Headphone (KingSound KS-H04 + M10 amp) in my Office => I was expecting the line out mode via the dedicated menu would help me to fix the unbalanced 3.5mm output between 0.7V, 1V, 1.25V and 2V when connected to the Kingsound M10 amp => but nothing changes with any of these parameters !!!
I can see clearly the line out is activated, but all selected voltage has strictly no effect on the 3.5mm lineout !!!! As it has loads of distortion at max vol, I was hoping the line out mode would go from 4/6V unbalanced output to 2V max or less ..
I have set to low gain as indicated in the Line Out menu .. but I check or Uncheck Line Out Icon and has no effect with reading SD cards files or using DSAudio service.

Did anybody manage to use the 3.5mm as line out ? is it my mistake or a new issue ?

Last edited:
Mar 1, 2021 at 9:55 AM Post #1,151 of 2,084
I was trying today to connect to Kann Alpha to an Electrostatic Headphone (KingSound KS-H04 + M10 amp) in my Office => I was expecting the line out mode via the dedicated menu would help me to fix the unbalanced 3.5mm output between 0.7V, 1V, 1.25V and 2V when connected to the Kingsound M10 amp => but nothing changes with any of these parameters !!!
I can see clearly the line out is activated, but all selected voltage has strictly no effect on the 3.5mm lineout !!!!

Did anybody manage to use the 3.5mm as line out ? is it my mistake or a new issue ?
Make sure you are enabling it all the way, it is a two step process. Enable line out mode from the drop down menu, then rotate the volume wheel to bring up the volume screen, tap on the screen where it says line out, then select ok to turn on line out mode, now the voltage output select screen will make those changes. I use line out all the time in my car and through my home stereo.

Mar 1, 2021 at 10:29 AM Post #1,152 of 2,084
Make sure you are enabling it all the way, it is a two step process. Enable line out mode from the drop down menu, then rotate the volume wheel to bring up the volume screen, tap on the screen where it says line out, then select ok to turn on line out mode, now the voltage output select screen will make those changes. I use line out all the time in my car and through my home stereo.

Thank you .. I was thinking it was just an info the line out appeared when I moved the volume knob.
I din't click on the "line out" part ..
Now it's working like a charm and move my Electrostatic Headphone with some EQ, so it's a nice feature too with 4 adjustable Line Out voltage level !!! Perfect !

It's a better option than my WM1A as I have no line out available to go to an external amp, just USB output for exclusively external DAC connection...

Last edited:
Mar 1, 2021 at 12:59 PM Post #1,155 of 2,084
Is there anything to keep in mind for the 3.5mm side of the cable, I remember reading somewhere that this jack was also compatible for optical out. So is there is a specific optical 3.5mm which is needed, or is it a simple 3.5mm jack? Still new to the connections, so appreciate the responses :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back